Jeff Ireland on with mick and bill jones-talking cowboys

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Billy Bullocks;1485678 said:
He does have that here too. You nkow, Ferguson.

I think what they were saying, the scheme doesn't require a 320lbs guy, but more a guy with quickness. Williams and Ferguson have that size and quickness combo, so of course you welcome that. But the point is, a 300 lbs guy can fill in that role as a spell player.
I think I read/heard that Ferguson plans to play lighter this year, so I'm thinking he's more like 305 this season.l

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
JohnsKey19;1485637 said:
Thats interesting stuff about the NT/DT position. I thought all along that having that big stud at NT was key to Wade's defense given he's had perhaps the biggest NT in football in Jamal Williams while coaching SD's defense. If we're going to a more penetrating defense, then guys like Ratliff/Bowen/Spears/Ola can surely get it done in a backup role. However we still need Ferguson healthy to take the bulk of the snaps.

The fiercest battles in TC will be at backup FB and 4th/5th CB. Can Anderson beat out either Hoyte or Lousaka? I really like Hoyte. And can Brown/Ball beat out either Reeves or Jones?

It is pretty important to have that guy. In fact, regardless of what's implied here, you have to have that guy in a 34. If the Center/Guard are any good at all, there going to eat up a penatrating, 1 Technique NT. That's reality. What I got from this article question and answer (a very good one BTW. Thank you very much for the translation Theo.) was that they are going to try and use Ferguson in much the same way the Jets did. Ferguson was a better player as a DT in a 43 the he ever was as a 34 NT. It's because when he was younger, he had the ability to both leverage and penatrate. I don't know that he can still do that but it sounds as if maybe the Cowboys think he can. Sounds to me as if there going to rely heavily on rotation and Ferguson still being able to do this. Make no mistake, it's extremely important to be able to stay strong at the point of attack in a 34. If we can't do this, then were going to get our ***** whopped regardless of whatever else we have. I can guarantee that.

Really good piece here. I have to admit, I have not enjoyed a read this much in a very long time. Ireland is a very interesteing guy. He's got more influence then even I imagined and I think that might be a very good thing. I have always assumed that it would be Stephan who would eventually become the GM for the Cowboys but now, I don't know. Ireland may just end up having that kind of spot for the Cowboys in the long run.

Once again, really appriciate you posting this Theo. Very enjoyable for me.

ArmyCowboy

Reaction score
I'm optimistic about the defense this year. It seems that under parcells, players were way too concerned about not messing up, rather than making plays.

Under phillips, it seems that players are allowed to play to their strength moreso than under parcells. Sure, guys will mess up on occasion and allow the big play, but I think that they'll be making more big plays, too.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
the best part of the interview was where Ireland said that Jerry welcomes input from his scouts and coaches when determining final selections, even if it contradicts what he's feeling

it's quite contrary from the belief that Jerry is back to his old ways now that BP is gone

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1485712 said:
the best part of the interview was where Ireland said that Jerry welcomes input from his scouts and coaches when determining final selections, even if it contradicts what he's feeling

it's quite contrary from the belief that Jerry is back to his old ways now that BP is gone

I agree. I think there was a time Jerry was trying to prove himself and did not always take the advice but over the last few years I think Jerry has learned from past mistakes and is taking advantage of some good people he has in place.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1485716 said:
I agree. I think there was a time Jerry was trying to prove himself and did not always take the advice but over the last few years I think Jerry has learned from past mistakes and is taking advantage of some good people he has in place.
I think Jerry has always taking their advice, the problem was that he was taking Larry Lacewell's advice.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
speedkilz88;1485731 said:
I think Jerry has always taking their advice, the problem was that he was taking Larry Lacewell's advice.

I'm not so sure about that. Jerry still talks to Lacewell (according to Jerry) and had him looking at prospects as well. I do think there were times that Jerry went outside of the advice he was given. Just my opinion.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1485706 said:
Really good piece here. I have to admit, I have not enjoyed a read this much in a very long time. Ireland is a very interesteing guy. He's got more influence then even I imagined and I think that might be a very good thing. I have always assumed that it would be Stephan who would eventually become the GM for the Cowboys but now, I don't know. Ireland may just end up having that kind of spot for the Cowboys in the long run.
I think the pairing of Stephen and Jeff is a great combination. Jerry seems to have really given Stephen his business acumen. As a businessman there's no way you can possibly criticize Jerry and it seems like that's really rubbed off on Stephen, who had a pretty big hand in the wheeling and dealing on Saturday. Jeff's the talent guy and Stephen will be the business guy. Great duo for our future. I just hope Jeff doesn't get an offer he can't refuse from another team to be the full-on GM.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
theogt;1485742 said:
I think the pairing of Stephen and Jeff is a great combination. Jerry seems to have really given Stephen his business acumen. As a businessman there's no way you can possibly criticize Jerry and it seems like that's really rubbed off on Stephen, who had a pretty big hand in the wheeling and dealing on Saturday. Jeff's the talent guy and Stephen will be the business guy. Great duo for our future. I just hope Jeff doesn't get an offer he can't refuse from another team to be the full-on GM.

I don't think there's any way that Ireland won't get that kind of offer. Especially if this draft proves succesful. I suspect that if we want to keep him, we're going to have to make him an offer such as GM. If not us, somebody else will IMO.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1485757 said:
I don't think there's any way that Ireland won't get that kind of offer. Especially if this draft proves succesful. I suspect that if we want to keep him, we're going to have to make him an offer such as GM. If not us, somebody else will IMO.

That, or we pay up.

I hope we pay up.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Man, I really enjoyed that.

It truly is music to my ears to hear that we're going to dictate to the offense and make them react to what we're doing on defense. I can only imagine how excited the players must be. Particularly the DL. Spears and Hatcher were made to play in Phillips 3-4 scheme. They're both so incredibly athletic for their size and that athleticism and their incredible movement skills are going to REALLY help them in Wade's defense. They're going to get to penetrate the line instead of having to hold their guy up and read blocks.

They have to be just doing backflips with excitement.

Heck, I feel like doing it! :eek::

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;1485488 said:
Yes I wish everyone would listen to that. Stop worrying about height and weight of our tackles, because that is not the most important.

That soundclip should be stickied to this site, when you sign on it says over and over, we dont need a nose tackle, we dont need a nose tackle.

I wish we'd taken a NT,...taken a NT... a NT! A big NT!:)

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
dmq;1485690 said:
If you are a Cowboy fan, it is hard not to get fired up about this.

Of course, but this was an interview with a person who has a lot at stake in this draft. It was supposedly his, so he is going to show how excited he is.

I am going to wait with several of these players before I get enthusiastic.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1485739 said:
I'm not so sure about that. Jerry still talks to Lacewell (according to Jerry) and had him looking at prospects as well. I do think there were times that Jerry went outside of the advice he was given. Just my opinion.
There was a story told on Talkin Cowboys early last season that back when they drafted Goodrich, Larrimore, and Edwards that the scouts had Goodrich as a fourth round type of guy. Well when draft time came around Larry Lacewell moved Goodrich up to the second round for that pick that year because he of course was connected to the Tennessee program.

Mickey and Bill pretty much intimated that Lacewell was the problem in the scouting department and that's why Parcells forced him out. He had too much power with Jerry and just wasn't producing.
Jerry of course is still close to Lacewell and Switzer, so its totally reasonable for him to at least listen to them on what they think of a prospect. Jerry gets a lot of outside opinions on lots of things because you can learn a lot from hearing from different sources. And its also a good reason to socialize with an old buddy. Doesn't mean he's letting them influence him now over Ireland.