Twitter: Jenny Taft defends MM against Skip's attack on his weight

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didnt see the entire clip, but I think Skip was talking about credibility. Basically Im supposed to listen to Mike but he cant even be responsible for his body. So if my coach doesnt even have enough discipline to not be obese, why should I listen to him preaching to me about discipline?
That's a nonsense take - which, of course, is par for the course with Skip Bayless. McCarty's job is to coach and teach what it takes to be successful as a football player and team, not dieting techniques for coaches. Does anyone think the Chiefs aren't listening to Andy Reid because he's overweight? Parcells got pretty hefty at one point, and was about as strict on disciplined football as anyone. Was anyone saying his weight negated his message?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
That's a nonsense take - which, of course, is par for the course with Skip Bayless. McCarty's job is to coach and teach what it takes to be successful as a football player and team, not dieting techniques for coaches. Does anyone think the Chiefs aren't listening to Andy Reid because he's overweight? Parcells got pretty hefty at one point, and was about as strict on disciplined football as anyone. Was anyone saying his weight negated his message?
IM just telling you this is what I took form the clip. In addition, I am not sure we can use anything from even a decade ago in relation to today. These young athletes are coming through college with ALL the power.They dont like a coach, they dont like their playing time... bam, they enter the transfer portal and leave to another school and are immediately eligible.

One thing about being a leader... you need the trust and respect of those you are leading. How much you know doesnt matter if they dont listen. IM not thinking Bob Knight would be very effective today.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IM just telling you this is what I took form the clip. In addition, I am not sure we can use anything from even a decade ago in relation to today. These young athletes are coming through college with ALL the power.They dont like a coach, they dont like their playing time... bam, they enter the transfer portal and leave to another school and are immediately eligible.

One thing about being a leader... you need the trust and respect of those you are leading. How much you know doesnt matter if they dont listen. IM not thinking Bob Knight would be very effective today.
Andy Reid isn't a decade ago, you know that.

In my mind if a player is the kind of person that can choose not to listen to a coach because he is overweight he is also the kind of person that is likely to find another excuse if that one doesn't fit. Surely at this point in their lives they have all experienced older people - coaches, teachers, preachers, relatives …. that are not in top shape but they know to be know to be knowledgeable and worthy of respect.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Andy Reid isn't a decade ago, you know that.

In my mind if a player is the kind of person that can choose not to listen to a coach because he is overweight he is also the kind of person that is likely to find another excuse if that one doesn't fit. Surely at this point in their lives they have all experienced older people - coaches, teachers, preachers, relatives …. that are not in top shape but they know to be know to be knowledgeable and worthy of respect.
I didnt say they couldnt lead. It is up to each coach to get his players to follow his lead.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didnt say they couldnt lead. It is up to each coach to get his players to follow his lead.
Which, again, I don't think requires a trim coach to do, and I agree with Jenny Taft that it was a nonsensical path for Skippy to take to take a shot at McCarthy based on that..

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I didnt see the entire clip, but I think Skip was talking about credibility. Basically Im supposed to listen to Mike but he cant even be responsible for his body. So if my coach doesnt even have enough discipline to not be obese, why should I listen to him preaching to me about discipline?

Because he's the coach! As a player you're a professional, you get paid the big bucks to PLAY, the HC gets paid to COACH. If a player can't do as he's told, he doesn't belong there.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
.....In my mind if a player is the kind of person that can choose not to listen to a coach because he is overweight he is also the kind of person that is likely to find another excuse if that one doesn't fit. Surely at this point in their lives they have all experienced older people - coaches, teachers, preachers, relatives …. that are not in top shape but they know to be knowledgeable and worthy of respect.

I agree with you OmerV. Juvenile name calling like “fat Mike” is the kind of stuff spawned on elementary and junior high play grounds by kids that were never taught better.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Because he's the coach! As a player you're a professional, you get paid the big bucks to PLAY, the HC gets paid to COACH. If a player can't do as he's told, he doesn't belong there.
bahahahhahahahah..... is that how Aaron Rodgers does things? Listen and do as told?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bahahahhahahahah..... is that how Aaron Rodgers does things? Listen and do as told?
He runs the team's offense. Calling audibles and ad libbing is part of the job. And with whatever independence he shows there is no evidence that it is because his coach is overweight. In fact, his current coach isn't.