Jermaine Johnson

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Johnson was overhyped by the media and fans after a good senior bowl which made too many project him up into the top 10 half of the draft.

Still a good player and a player they could have taken.

But they did not.

nobody

Reaction score
Opinion? Go look at any of his video tapes. He's a major holding machine. Worse than Connor Williams. Plus, his technique needs lots of work as does much of his game. Speed and quick opponents get by him, plus he plays high, thus can get bullrushed back into the QB. Who does that remind you of? For this they used a 1st round pick? Someone who needs lots of work and time (years) to develop into hopefully a better player?

There are Div I proven Left Guards still available that could be had in Day 3.

Marquis Hayes: 6'5", 330 lbs, 5.30 40 time, 31 bench reps

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Marquis-Hayes-OL-Oklahoma

Lecitus Smith 6'3", 318 lbs, 5.13 40 time, 25 bench reps

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Lecitus-Smith-OL-VirginiaTech

Cowboys pass up on a top 10 overall talent at DE, but instead take a project in the 1st round? That is not smart drafting.

A top 10 talent making it to 24? Doubtful unless something is majorly wrong with that player. Are you sure you're not just mad Dallas didn't choose your pet cat?

The Cowboys needed offensive help more. Dak and the run game need that O-line to be solid. It's that simple. The playoff game should have made that glaringly obvious. Did they choose the right guy? We'll see. That's not to say that a DE isn't needed for sure. There's a lot of holes.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
A top 10 talent making it to 24? Doubtful unless something is majorly wrong with that player. Are you sure you're not just mad Dallas didn't choose your pet cat?

The Cowboys needed offensive help more. Dak and the run game need that O-line to be solid. It's that simple. The playoff game should have made that glaringly obvious. Did they choose the right guy? We'll see. That's not to say that a DE isn't needed for sure. There's a lot of holes.
I'm upset the Cowboys used their 1st round pick on a project who led the NCAA in penalties at O-Tackle and who is suddenly going to be forced to play at Left Guard even though he has never played the position. Plus, his footwork, mechanics and technique are very bad. So, tell me, how do you use a super costly 1st round pick on any player who clearly needs lots of work, has never played the position you are going to plug him at, comes from a small school and has little experience even playing football? You're saying one is not supposed to be upset about such a costly risk pick for a bonafied starter on a project with so many flags whose Oline Coach has done a terrible job in Dallas the past 2 seasons?

Are you understanding what I'm saying or are you simply being a homer?

nobody

Reaction score
I'm upset the Cowboys used their 1st round pick on a project who led the NCAA in penalties at O-Tackle and who is suddenly going to be forced to play at Left Guard even though he has never played the position. Plus, his footwork, mechanics and technique are very bad. So, tell me, how do you use a super costly 1st round pick on any player who clearly needs lots of work, has never played the position you are going to plug him at, comes from a small school and has little experience even playing football? You're saying one is not supposed to be upset about such a costly risk pick for a bonafied starter on a project with so many flags whose Oline Coach has done a terrible job in Dallas the past 2 seasons?

Are you understanding what I'm saying or are you simply being a homer?

He said he played some guard in high school. He's not going into a completely unknown position and those positions are very similar anyway. I understand what you're saying. But he sounds coachable and the Cowboys needed O-line help big time. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise. He's 21. He wasn't even 21 when he committed those penalties. He doesn't seem like he's a discipline or attitude problem so hopefully he learns from the players around him.

Again, if the O-line fails, Dak fails...which means the offense fails. Do I agree that he was the choice to make? I'm not saying that. I just don't think it's the panic situation some make it out to be. Most of the experts say he was a decent choice with a huge potential if he gets the technique cleaned up and takes care of the penalties. I'll go with that over what the front office says or what some fans say. I didn't have stellar hopes for the season anyway but I'll wait and see.

It's not like they picked a guaranteed bust or a flashy pick. We just don't know at this point.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
He said he played some guard in high school. He's not going into a completely unknown position and those positions are very similar anyway. I understand what you're saying. But he sounds coachable and the Cowboys needed O-line help big time. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise. He's 21. He wasn't even 21 when he committed those penalties. He doesn't seem like he's a discipline or attitude problem so hopefully he learns from the players around him.

Again, if the O-line fails, Dak fails...which means the offense fails. Do I agree that he was the choice to make? I'm not saying that. I just don't think it's the panic situation some make it out to be. Most of the experts say he was a decent choice with a huge potential if he gets the technique cleaned up and takes care of the penalties. I'll go with that over what the front office says or what some fans say. I didn't have stellar hopes for the season anyway but I'll wait and see.

It's not like they picked a guaranteed bust or a flashy pick. We just don't know at this point.
My issue is with using an extremely costly 1st round pick on a player who needs lots of work and has many questions, especially for our Oline.

Tyron Smith and Zack Martin were bonafied top Olinemen, proven and All Americans in college, hence definitely worth being picked in the 1st round. Tyler Smith? Not even close.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Taking a DE in the 1st round is not without risk as we know with Taco. There were a lot of DEs taken before Taco in that draft and I don't think any of them panned out with the team that drafted them. If you're going to take a DE in the first round, it better be a player you believe in, and I don't think the Cowboys believed in Johnson. The other thing is I think they were looking for a speed rusher type at DE, which they got in Williams.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
He's not 1st round material. Should have taken top 10 talent Edge rusher Jermaine Johnson to pair up with Micah and D-Law. Could have taken a very good and Div I proven Left Guard in the 3rd or 4th round.
If Johnson was actually that good, why did ALL the other teams pass on him? Is it possible they know something we don't??? Yes I know... blah blah T.J. Watt blah blah blah. He is a special case. It doesn't happen like that often.

DanA

Reaction score
My issue is with using an extremely costly 1st round pick on a player who needs lots of work and has many questions, especially for our Oline.

Tyron Smith and Zack Martin were bonafied top Olinemen, proven and All Americans in college, hence definitely worth being picked in the 1st round. Tyler Smith? Not even close.

Tyron Smith wasn't an All American and I don't think he even started until his final year at USC

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
4. JERMAINE JOHNSON, Florida State (6-4 ½, 260, 4.62, 1): Subpar academics sent him to a junior college for two years. Started four of 24 games at Georgia in 2019-’20 before transferring for a final season in Tallahassee. “Started the year playing his way into third-round conversation and at the end played his way possibly into the first,” one scout said. “Not as explosive or as athletic as (Joe) Tryon or (Azeez) Ojulari, who played over him at Georgia. He can power off the edge. He’s got get-off and flattens down on the quarterback. He can create pressure looping outside when aligned as a 3-technique in sub packages. He can improve his edge rush by developing a counter move once engaged and using his hands better. Best as a 3-4 outside backer.” Several scouts mentioned his father, someone they regard as overly involved and an impediment. “He is a low-confidence know-it-all that’s been pushed by his dad his entire life,” one scout after an interview with Johnson. “I see him as a fake tough guy.” Finished with 106 tackles (26 for loss), 18 ½ sacks (12 at FSU), three forced fumbles and four passes defensed. Wonderlic of 15. Arms were 34. “The surprising thing was he was very good against the run,” a third scout said. “I almost thought he played the run better than he rushed the passer. He’s got exceptional hands and hand usage at the point of attack. That’s what grabbed me the most about him. The sacks came off hustle. He had some where he earned them going around the guy. He’s not a natural bend-the-corner right end but he’s good enough to do it … they called him ‘Hollywood.’ He’s a little arrogant. He’s probably hard to like at times. But he backed up everything he said he wanted to do, which is rare in this era.” From Eden Prairie, Minn.

I totally see why they took Smith here. IMO, Smith has more upside due to his character. If you hear him talk in interviews, it's night and day as far as what this guy describes with Johnson.

I didn't know that, so I'm glad we passed on him.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
They are taking "behavioral" issues more seriously than in the past.

It does seem like that. They have noticed a certain kind of personality going to the Super Bowl, year after year, and they are right.

In life, and work, you want to avoid certain personality types. Borderline, narcissists, etc.. So why would football be any different?

I think that's why the Patriots went with their guy in the 1st. They've been doing this for years. It matters when you have a team of players for 5 months, and you want them to buy in to your system.

You want team guys.

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
Opinion? Go look at any of his video tapes. He's a major holding machine. Worse than Connor Williams. Plus, his technique needs lots of work as does much of his game. Speed and quick opponents get by him, plus he plays high, thus can get bullrushed back into the QB. Who does that remind you of? For this they used a 1st round pick? Someone who needs lots of work and time (years) to develop into hopefully a better player?

There are Div I proven Left Guards still available that could be had in Day 3.

Marquis Hayes: 6'5", 330 lbs, 5.30 40 time, 31 bench reps

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Marquis-Hayes-OL-Oklahoma

Lecitus Smith 6'3", 318 lbs, 5.13 40 time, 25 bench reps

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Lecitus-Smith-OL-VirginiaTech

Cowboys pass up on a top 10 overall talent at DE, but instead take a project in the 1st round? That is not smart drafting.

Couldnt agree more