Jermey Shockey Traded...Update Trade On Hold

montgod

Reaction score
viman96;2051853 said:
Where's Jeremy Shockey? Still a member of the New York Giants.

New Orleans's apparent deal for tight end Jeremy Shockey has hit a delay because of the Giants' demand for more than a No. 2 draft pick for the former Pro Bowler, ESPN's John Clayton reports.

The Saints have been debating offering a No. 2 pick, according to sources, but some in the organization would prefer including no more than a No. 3 pick. New Orleans officials' reluctance makes the deal, which could get done on the draft-day clock or Saturday morning before the draft, difficult to pull off.

The Giants have already conducted a physical on Shockey, which could be offered to the Saints if he can't make it to New Orleans in time to have one. Sources indicate the Saints are seriously interested in Shockey, so a deal is likely to get done.

Saints general manager Mickey Loomis this week has declined to discuss players under contract with any other team, and has been evasive while meeting with reporters at the Saints' training headquarters. He has apologetically said that he did not want to tip off other teams to the Saints' draft plans.

The 28-year-old Shockey, who earned the first NFL championship of his career in January, broke his leg on Dec. 16 in a game against the Washington Commanders and did not play in the Super Bowl.

He finished the 2007 regular season with 57 receptions and three touchdowns.

Shoot... get it done! :)

Eskimo

Reaction score
jobberone;2051794 said:
The Giants won with defense and having an offense that did not commit errors and capitalized on field position. They are a very good team although I think we have better talent. Best to give them their due. Fortunately I don't see them repeating. But they are scary. See my preseason posts on NY from last year.

I agree - Eli was not the reason they won last year. Great defense, good running game, some lucky breaks in the passing game and no errors.

Eskimo

Reaction score
viman96;2051853 said:
Where's Jeremy Shockey? Still a member of the New York Giants.

New Orleans's apparent deal for tight end Jeremy Shockey has hit a delay because of the Giants' demand for more than a No. 2 draft pick for the former Pro Bowler, ESPN's John Clayton reports.

The Saints have been debating offering a No. 2 pick, according to sources, but some in the organization would prefer including no more than a No. 3 pick. New Orleans officials' reluctance makes the deal, which could get done on the draft-day clock or Saturday morning before the draft, difficult to pull off.

The Giants have already conducted a physical on Shockey, which could be offered to the Saints if he can't make it to New Orleans in time to have one. Sources indicate the Saints are seriously interested in Shockey, so a deal is likely to get done.

Saints general manager Mickey Loomis this week has declined to discuss players under contract with any other team, and has been evasive while meeting with reporters at the Saints' training headquarters. He has apologetically said that he did not want to tip off other teams to the Saints' draft plans.

The 28-year-old Shockey, who earned the first NFL championship of his career in January, broke his leg on Dec. 16 in a game against the Washington Commanders and did not play in the Super Bowl.

He finished the 2007 regular season with 57 receptions and three touchdowns.

If I were the Saints I would hold out for a 3rd. The Giants probably just want to be rid of him at this point.

montgod

Reaction score
Eskimo;2051934 said:
If I were the Saints I would hold out for a 3rd. The Giants probably just want to be rid of him at this point.

Draft is tomorrow... they can only holdout for so long.

Besides, I wonder why this wasn't worked out before a physical? Seems like somebody went back on their word?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

My favorite part of the article!

:lmao:

burntricersx

Reaction score
Biggems;2051293 said:
Why is it a bad move for the Giants...........Eli became a much better field general without Shockey. His effectivenes improved.

They beat the Cowboys, Packers, and Pats without Shockey.

For the efficiency and effectiveness of the NY offense...........Boss > Shockey.

Exactly...you don't need another voice interjecting into the huddle. And we all know Shockey was a motor mouth. All talk, no walk.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Can't you just visualize Roy Williams sitting at his computer desk, constantly hitting the refresh button on ESPN.com checking to see when this trade will go through.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
RainMan;2052189 said:
Can't you just visualize Roy Williams sitting at his computer desk, constantly hitting the refresh button on ESPN.com checking to see when this trade will go through.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

I cant help but wish Shockey had stayed with the Giants. They really became a team without him, and Eli looked like a competent QB when he knew he diddnt have a quota of balls he had to throw at the doosh TE to keep him happy.

kristie

Reaction score
RainMan;2052189 said:

yup. :laugh2:

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
YoMick;2051618 said:
Yeah... I have been saying it for years.... Tiki and Shockey were messing up Eli. Eli/Coughlin needed structure... they kept chaotic... didnt allow chemistry to develop.

I'm in complete agreement here.

Eli is very lowkey and may not "mesh" well with vociferous personalities in the huddle. He may actually find them distracting.

All I know is that when Shockey went down Eli seemed to begin to play more within himself and the offense - where he formerly struggled to deliver with the "me-me" guys like Shockey and T. Barber present.

Troy Aikman was lowkey but stoic - and I doubt there was EVER a player who could have intimidated him in his own huddle... in any way. Influenced - yes. Intimidated - no. Whatever. The chemistry between Eli and Kevin Boss was obviously better. The results speak loudly.

kristie

Reaction score
SuspectCorner;2052340 said:
I'm in complete agreement here.

Eli is very lowkey and may not "mesh" well with vociferous personalities in the huddle. He may actually find them distracting.

All I know is that when Shockey went down Eli seemed to begin to play more within himself and the offense - where he formerly struggled to deliver with the "me-me" guys like Shockey and T. Barber present.

Troy Aikman was lowkey but stoic - and I doubt there was EVER a player who could have intimidated him in his own huddle... in any way. Influenced - yes. Intimidated - no. Whatever. The chemistry between Eli and Kevin Boss was obviously better. The results speak loudly.

they sure do.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Would the g-Men have traded Shockey IF they would have lost to either the Cowboys, Pack or Pats? All games which they were one play away from losing. Very interesting question.

Sometimes winning causes you to overvalue your team and it's component parts.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
well im sure the Playmaker had a word or two in the huddle....:laugh2:

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
TheCount;2051340 said:
Wow, talk about not wanting to give credit where credit is due.

I hate the Giants more than just about anyone, especially being a Cowboy fan in NY, but their run was great. It was one of the better Superbowls of the last couple I've seen.

Yes, it was a great run. Which is exactly what I said. Those four games were lightning in a bottle. They didn't perform that way all year. They barley made the playoffs and had they actually lost to the fins as they almost did, or lost one more game at any point they woudln't have even been in the playoffs.

It's not about giving credit. As I said, they had a great 4 game run. It came at the right time. That's about it though.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Biggems;2052662 said:
well im sure the Playmaker had a word or two in the huddle....:laugh2:

Yeah but Troy would tell him to shut up and Mike would. I doubt Eli can do that. :laugh2: