Jerruh speaks on ST

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Jerry Jones not happy with special teams
It's time to put special teams coach Bruce Read on the hot seat. Remember, there were struggles with the coverage units last season. Anyway, one of the first things Jerry pointed out after the game was special teams and its performance. Oh, and guess what he remembers a little return from the Giants playoff game was also critical.

"We have a team that has a lot of speed and a lot of skill players," Jones said. "We ought to be one of the best coverage fronts and kickoff return teams there are. We obviously have to work on that."

The Chargers had four punt returns for 82 yards averaging 20.5 per return --that is unbelievable. The Cowboys punt coverage team needs to be reworked.

- Rick Herrin

Posted at 02:03 AM | Permalink

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Our blocking on kickoffs was ridicilously bad as well.

That is what scares me most, it isnt like we just had a couple of breakdowns on ST, all of our special teams units looked awful and unprepared. That has to be put on the coaches.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I agree that Read is awful. IMO Wade's two mistakes since he got here have been cutting Matt Moore and keeping Read. Maybe Wade didn't have much choice when he hired him, but he could've gotten someone else this year.

But since we're probably stuck with him, here's what I'd do: Play more starters. Everyone loves Avezzano, but look at how many of our frontline players we played on ST back then. Yeah, it's hard on them, but Jimmy did it anyway.

BTW, Jerry says we have a lot of speed and skill players. Does he think special teams are all corners and safeties? Speed alone won't do it. You need physical play, too, and unfortunately our backup ILBs Burnett and Carpenter are soft as Charmin.

Ken

Reaction score
I would bring Avezzano back in a heartbeat.

Problem solved.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
taken from Mickey's article

"We got to cover, we just got to cover," Jerry Jones said with some sternness after the game. "We should have one of the best coverage teams in the NFL. That killed us against the Giants," that playoff loss never far from Jones' mind, especially how the Cowboys' lack of kick coverage continually set up the eventual Super Bowl champs with good field position during that playoff loss at Texas Stadium. "We got to cover, got to get better at that."

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
It wasn't just coverage; our kickoff returns were anemic. Stanback didn't show me a lot of forward acceleration.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Call me crazy... but I think its funny that JERRY is speaking out on our TEAM problems.

I guess the days of the coach doing that is over... atleast in Dallas anyways....

lol

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
bbgun;2185545 said:
It wasn't just coverage; our kickoff returns were anemic. Stanback didn't show me a lot of forward acceleration.

Really and coleman was pathetic..

They should have Austin and F.Jones or A.Jones back there.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
94WARE94;2185556 said:
Really and coleman was pathetic..

They should have Austin and F.Jones or A.Jones back there.

Why have Austin and F Jones back there in 1st preseason game?
When do you find out about the lesser guys? During the regular season? :cool:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
bbgun;2185545 said:
The blocking was terrible in KO returns. Whether it was Stanback or whoever, they were all over the returner by the 10 yard line. I don't think I've ever seen a return unit that bad.

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
YoMick;2185564 said:
Why have Austin and F Jones back there in 1st preseason game?
When do you find out about the lesser guys? During the regular season? :cool:

I know that im just saying that should be the KR during the season.

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
Hey, Read is Wade's boy and Wade has a history of defending his special team coaches.

Jerry tried his best to fix the weak links on our roster, Wade should have done the same to his coaching staff.

I can see Jerry trading a player...hmmm...Crayton for a special teams coach. :D :D :D

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
it seems to me...all the fundamentals are lacking in the special teams...either we are not spending enough time on it in practice or Read/Reid/Reed (or however he spells it) just flat out stinks at coaching it.

They were not very good at blocking for the punter or covering... the kickoff return unit did not set up correctly one time and the kickoff coverage was shoddy...

There was not one element you could point to in the special teams that was fundamentally sound.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
94WARE94;2185572 said:
I know that im just saying that should be the KR during the season.

Thats all fine and dandy... I just try and look at preseason for what is really is....

I wanna know if we have some diamonds in the rough.... something, anything?.... I dont care about scores or bad complete 2nd or 3rd unit of anything.... because the complete unit will never be on the field during a regular season game. It will be plug and play with a depth guy or what have you.

For me... I would rather see Amendola, Stanback & Coleman share KR, PR duties for the majority of the preseason. You cannot judge on a handful of returns. The good/great return men can go a whole season with so many returns with only a low-med percentage of good returns.

We can go by limited sample sizes here.

yesfan

Reaction score
Well they didn't have to let Keith Davis go.That decision is part
of the problem.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2185563 said:
Not going to happen. Guaranteed. Trust me, I know.

Spill it. What do you know? Cause to everyone here, it makes great sense.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2185529 said:
I agree that Read is awful. IMO Wade's two mistakes since he got here have been cutting Matt Moore and keeping Read. Maybe Wade didn't have much choice when he hired him, but he could've gotten someone else this year.

But since we're probably stuck with him, here's what I'd do: Play more starters. Everyone loves Avezzano, but look at how many of our frontline players we played on ST back then. Yeah, it's hard on them, but Jimmy did it anyway.

BTW, Jerry says we have a lot of speed and skill players. Does he think special teams are all corners and safeties? Speed alone won't do it. You need physical play, too, and unfortunately our backup ILBs Burnett and Carpenter are soft as Charmin.

i dont put this on wade or read as much as our best special teams players have left in the past two seasons and we are trying to replace all of them.

I am not sure what carpenter and burnett's problems were last night though. Carpenter looked very slow playing in keith davis former spot on punt coverage.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2185563 said:
Not going to happen. Guaranteed. Trust me, I know.

If you are refering to the incident from back when Parcells was here... then I disagree.

If Jerry wants him back he can make it happen. Jerry says, "I made a mistake, we want you back, here is some EXTRA cash in the deal"

Its that easy.