Jerruh speaks on ST

CowboyChris

Reaction score
a little optimism here:

the good thing is, Jerry has addressed it early on in pre-season, and it will surely become a priority the rest of camp, i expect us to improve before the regular season starts. and also dont forget we probably didnt have our best in there the whole game either.:starspin

Ken

Reaction score
YoMick;2185605 said:
If you are refering to the incident from back when Parcells was here... then I disagree.

If Jerry wants him back he can make it happen. Jerry says, "I made a mistake, we want you back, here is some EXTRA cash in the deal"

Its that easy.

Yup, simple as that.

I just love the idea of fixing our special teams while adding another coach from our great era to help mold this talent.

Perfect. I questioned the Read aquisition when It happened...

cowboyrock

Benched
Reaction score
yesfan;2185583 said:
Well they didn't have to let Keith Davis go.That decision is part
of the problem.
Wrong! Keith Davis was here last year and the special teams were still terrible. Jerry just said what i said in another thread and got blasted for. i guess Jerry's not a cowboys fan either. wake up folks.Bruce Reid has to go.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
YoMick;2185605 said:
If you are refering to the incident from back when Parcells was here... then I disagree.

If Jerry wants him back he can make it happen. Jerry says, "I made a mistake, we want you back, here is some EXTRA cash in the deal"

Its that easy.

Agreed.

Joe's a career assistant coach. Nothing says "I'm sorry, come back", like a couple hundred extra G's.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
dbair1967;2185498 said:
Jerry Jones not happy with special teams
It's time to put special teams coach Bruce Read on the hot seat. Remember, there were struggles with the coverage units last season. Anyway, one of the first things Jerry pointed out after the game was special teams and its performance. Oh, and guess what he remembers a little return from the Giants playoff game was also critical.

"We have a team that has a lot of speed and a lot of skill players," Jones said. "We ought to be one of the best coverage fronts and kickoff return teams there are. We obviously have to work on that."

The Chargers had four punt returns for 82 yards averaging 20.5 per return --that is unbelievable. The Cowboys punt coverage team needs to be reworked.

- Rick Herrin

Posted at 02:03 AM | Permalink

Jerrah, sthu, don't you know it's just a meaningless preseason game? Why bother sending anyone out but the punter anyway? It's not like anything counted in that game.

Seriously, next time we punt in a preseason game, they should just pull people out of the stands to cover the kick.

Sad thing is they'd probably do a better job... especially if they can get the mascot to coach them. Or maybe a dog turd.

Oh but it's no big deal. Our coverage units sucked last year and they were horrible yesterday, but it's just a preseason game so it's of no concern whatsoever.

:rolleyes:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Ken;2185642 said:
Yup, simple as that.

I just love the idea of fixing our special teams while adding another coach from our great era to help mold this talent.

Perfect. I questioned the Read aquisition when It happened...

CowboyWay;2185681 said:
Agreed.

Joe's a career assistant coach. Nothing says "I'm sorry, come back", like a couple hundred extra G's.

Its funny... it reminds me of back in the day when Steinbrenner didnt give Reggie Jackson a new deal. Reggie was mad at him for years.

One day George... "it was one of my biggest mistakes and I was wrong".... Reggie and George have been in love ever since.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Punt return fumble to boot. ST is real import to a 45 man roster gameday.

Mansta54

Reaction score
cowboyrock;2185665 said:
Wrong! Keith Davis was here last year and the special teams were still terrible. Jerry just said what i said in another thread and got blasted for. i guess Jerry's not a cowboys fan either. wake up folks.Bruce Reid has to go.

Of course JJ is a Boyz fan but you're not. We all see what you are, a TROLL..

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
http://img360.*************/img360/3580/nicehn5.jpg
http://img360.*************/img360/3580/nicehn5.09f9ee519e.jpg

Life is good.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
on top of all that, i thought mcbriar punted like crap all night.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Dallas ranked second in kickoff coverage in 2006 with Carpenter, Burnett, Watkins and pretty much the same cast of characters back there. What's changed since then? The special teams coach. The talent has only gotten better and more experienced. The units were horrible last year with Keith Davis. The units look like a giant, disorganized cluster F. And it's just not one unit, it's all of them.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
YoMick;2185546 said:
Call me crazy... but I think its funny that JERRY is speaking out on our TEAM problems.

I guess the days of the coach doing that is over... atleast in Dallas anyways....

lol
and rightfully so, since he is the one that calls the shots in Dallas.

its not anything different that we were thinking of last night. I am glad Jerry said something, because then something will be done about it. You should be happy the owner wants improvement and doesn't settle for losing, like York or any other garbage owner.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2186184 said:
Dallas ranked second in kickoff coverage in 2006 with Carpenter, Burnett, Watkins and pretty much the same cast of characters back there. What's changed since then? The special teams coach. The talent has only gotten better and more experienced. The units were horrible last year with Keith Davis. The units look like a giant, disorganized cluster F. And it's just not one unit, it's all of them.
:hammer:

AtlCB

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2185529 said:
I agree that Read is awful. IMO Wade's two mistakes since he got here have been cutting Matt Moore and keeping Read. Maybe Wade didn't have much choice when he hired him, but he could've gotten someone else this year.

But since we're probably stuck with him, here's what I'd do: Play more starters. Everyone loves Avezzano, but look at how many of our frontline players we played on ST back then. Yeah, it's hard on them, but Jimmy did it anyway.

BTW, Jerry says we have a lot of speed and skill players. Does he think special teams are all corners and safeties? Speed alone won't do it. You need physical play, too, and unfortunately our backup ILBs Burnett and Carpenter are soft as Charmin.

You people kill me about Carpenter. The guy was about the only bright spot on the special teams, and he played really well at backup linebacker as well. If he's soft, he certainly didn't show it against the Chargers.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2186184 said:

actually the leading tacklers are gone from that unit.

Ryan Fowler, Keith Davis, Abe Elam, Jacques Reeves, Nate Jones, al singleton

those were the top tacklers on that unit. Fowler davis and elam were the best we had.

Its a combo of talent in flux and what appears to be bad coaching.

IF it isnt fixed it will cost us a few games and those few games could cost us a shot at the division and then anything is possible.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
the thought of cribbs returning kicks against us in week 1 is really making me nervous. maybe we can just kick out of bounds.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
yesfan;2185583 said:
Well they didn't have to let Keith Davis go.That decision is part
of the problem.

Roy should take over Keith's spot, he's only a part time player now anyhow since he's not in a lot of the pass defense packages.

Woods

Reaction score
Jarv;2186328 said:
Roy should take over Keith's spot, he's only a part time player now anyhow since he's not in a lot of the pass defense packages.

If the coverage units don't improve soon, I think we will be playing more starters on STs.

Next week is going to be an interesting test for the back-ups and fringe players.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Woods;2186335 said:
If the coverage units don't improve soon, I think we will be playing more starters on STs.

Next week is going to be an interesting test for the back-ups and fringe players.

It's not a personnel problem, it's a coaching problem.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
DallasDW00ds0n;2186196 said:
and rightfully so, since he is the one that calls the shots in Dallas.

its not anything different that we were thinking of last night. I am glad Jerry said something, because then something will be done about it. You should be happy the owner wants improvement and doesn't settle for losing, like York or any other garbage owner.

That is not my point.

My point is... with Jerry running the show... we havent won a playoff game.

Get my point.