Jerruh's Big Dilema

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Jerry's biggest dilemma is the same as it has always been.

Jerry.

Until he stops enabling players, glorifying average players as celebrities, bringing in the leagues most wanted out of desperation and over exposing this team it will not win.

Dbair your a good dude and I like you. But suggesting a coaching change at this point is kind of nuts. I happen to think this is on the players, most of them have big heads because of the owner, not the head coach.

and as down as I am on this team right now I am willing to give the line a pass for today. I think the matchups were a nightmare for flo and columbo with the smaller quicker guys on that zona defense. And when you look at the numbers for that cardinal defense they are as good or better than Dallas defense...(which isnt saying much)

What I cant give a pass to is this defense. And I blame the players. They are all celebrities and only two of them are worth all the attention they get. Ratliff and ware.

3rd and 17 after your team has taken control of the game and they are backed up inside their 20 and they get 18 yards. The whole game changed there and it was the most important moment of the game. after all that happened, to have the lead and the momentum and to have them pinned down, well they could have won the game right there. Instead they give up 18 on 3rd and 17.

31 ranked special teams unit in the league and a defense that can not stop a decent qb week in and week out.

You could have lombardi as the head coach and landry and walsh as coordinators on this team and I am convinced they find a way to play poor defensively.

Until the defense gets better the team will be what it is. Average and staring at the possibility of going to new york in a couple of weeks with 3 losses and the giants 7-0. IF we have 4 losses on november 2nd, the wild card might be out of reach.

and oh by the way. if we are a wild card there is a very good chance we go to zona in january. Long story short, firing coaches would be gasoline on a slow burning fire.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
windward;2332568 said:
I pretty much said the same thing when we went into OT.

I could have tripled the items on that list, adding Romo's lost fumble (deep in Dallas territory) that was whistled dead.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
theebs;2332581 said:

Jerry.
You might want to look up the definition of the word dilemma.

Jerry's biggest dilemma being Jerry is a nonsensical statement.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
Jerry first move should be firing the ST coach and then go from there! Hopefully the next move being trading for Roy Williams but likely it wont happen...

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
theebs;2332581 said:

Jerry.

Until he stops enabling players, glorifying average players as celebrities, bringing in the leagues most wanted out of desperation and over exposing this team it will not win.

Exactly.

Not to mention making himself bigger than the coach (I'll bring in this guy and that guy that I like, and you will deal with them) and patting himself on the back for firing up the team like he did in that pitiful Norm interview the other day.

But I still say that if Romo doesn't commit all those turnovers, we win anyway. He has to hold on to the ball even when he gets blindsided. He just has to. Problem is, I'm afraid the boldness that Parcells liked about him can become complacency and stubbornness when it comes to addressing his weaknesses.

Eskimo

Reaction score
If I were jones, I wouldn't fire Read, but I would bring in a ST consultant to run the show the rest of the season and then fire Read in the offseason.

As for Flo, I would bench him and start Free - this may light a fire under him because he was beyond terrible today.

I would also pray to Kosier gets healthy so we don't have to see Proctor out there again. The fact that Holland hasn't beaten him out yet is a pretty telling statement about how terrible he must be.

I would also bench Henry asap. He has no business playing CB in this leage anymore. He just isn't quick enough. He is like the 2008 version of Jacques Reeves except without the tackling ability.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Eskimo;2332600 said:
If I were jones, I wouldn't fire Read, but I would bring in a ST consultant to run the show the rest of the season and then fire Read in the offseason.

As for Flo, I would bench him and start Free - this may light a fire under him because he was beyond terrible today.

I would also pray to Kosier gets healthy so we don't have to see Proctor out there again. The fact that Holland hasn't beaten him out yet is a pretty telling statement about how terrible he must be.

I would also bench Henry asap. He has no business playing CB in this leage anymore. He just isn't quick enough. He is like the 2008 version of Jacques Reeves except without the tackling ability.
Didn't Flo have a stinger?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
windward;2332602 said:
Didn't Flo have a stinger?

He had some kind of shoulder injury, at least according to the postgame show.

But listen to some of us -- the fact that some are saying that *Jerry* should fire Read shows just how out of whack this whole team structure is. Jerry making coaching hires -- or fires -- tells the team that the head coach isn't really the one in charge. And that's a huge problem.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
It's hard for me to put too much blame on the QB this year when in both of our losses the offense puts 24 up on the board. Sorry, 24 shouldn't be the "magic number" that an offense has to put on the board to determine whether their team wins or loses. That's just a ridiculous amount of pressure on the offense.

And in this loss he's sacked 3 times and hit NINETEEN TIMES. He goes 61% completion rate, 3:0 TD:INT ratio in a game where he literally has a defender in his face every throw and he can't get his center to even properly snap the ball to him in shotgun formation (again)

Sorry, Romo had to overcome his teammates today. Not vice versa.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Romo has also put a ton of pressure on our defense with his turnovers. It's great to bail water out of the boat, but you can't then turn around and punch another hole in it.

And his stats were helped a lot by things like that dumpoff that Barber took 70 yards to the house. Sure, he gets credit for the yards and the TD, but in truth that was all the RB's doing.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
all true, but jerruh's football ego is large and would prevent him from doing the obvious. One of the best GMs in sports fired a coach a few weeks before the playoffs and got another title.

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/sports/2000/03/24/2000-03-24_devils_stick_a_fork_in_ftore.html

unfortunately we have one of the worst GMs in all of sports.

dbair1967;2331747 said:
He's got a few the way I see it:

1) With every week that we play like garbage (and this is the 3rd week in a row) he is losing fan interest in this team, and that ultimately is going to cost him big bucks in regards to filling that new stadium. The ultimate embarrassment for him will be having a half full shiney new stadium next yr, and we are going down that path. (Look back at 88 and 89 if you dont think fans will stay home)

2) The offense now has 3 weeks in a row of subpar play. Everyone is crowing about the #2 WR spot, but the bigger issue has been very, very poor OL play, especially against Washington and Arizona today. Today was not the first time they have played bad. They got drubbed vs Washington too. Some of it is definitely Proctor, but Adams and Columbo looked like Pettiti and Tucker today, and there's just no excuse for that.

3) Bruce Read should have been fired as soon as last season was over. He should have been fired during preseason when it was obvious the ST were still bad. Today one could point directly at his awful unit and say "thats why we lost!" and make a strong argument. Read should not have a desk tomorrow. It is not going to get better with him here, but it almost assuredly will cost us another game or two at some point.

4) At some point you have to make people accountable for bad play, especially when they are fringe players like Bobby Carpenter and Courtney Brown. Somebody (or maybe a couple of guys) should be cut tomorrow to start getting the teams attention that this level of play simply is not good enough.

5) I agree with others that making the calls to potentially get a 2nd WR, thus moving Crayton back to #3 is must do, but the problem is he cant be desperate about it and give up the farm. The other issue is now there are so many other problems with the team, that the move might not make much difference.

6) Jones wont do it, but for the first time since he's owned the team he has to start considering firing the coach now instead of waiting till after the season. Wade is not getting through to the players. They are not motivated or inspired when they hit the field, and the main reason he was hired was to fix the defense, and its just as bad now even though there are better players on the field for him. This move would have been easier to make had Stewart not been such a pusskatore over hiring Dom Capers, but if he fires Wade, Stewart pretty much has to go too, and that leaves us with very limited choices on who can run the defense.

Just making the playoffs was not the goal for THIS team. This team was supposed to be a hungry, focused & determined team and clearly is not. It's a direct reflection of Wade.

Yes its a desperate move if they fire Wade, fire Read and cut a player or two, but desperate times call for desperate action. And this is closing in on a desperate time. This is quickly looking like a lost season unless something is done to reverse this downward spiral.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2332607 said:
He had some kind of shoulder injury, at least according to the postgame show.

But listen to some of us -- the fact that some are saying that *Jerry* should fire Read shows just how out of whack this whole team structure is. Jerry making coaching hires -- or fires -- tells the team that the head coach isn't really the one in charge. And that's a huge problem.

Not the 1st time that is one of the reason Wade was shown the door in Buffalo. The owner told him to fire a coach happens all the time in the NFL

Jeff Fisher had to let go of Norm Chow because of the owner as well

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Romo has also put a ton of pressure on our defense with his turnovers. It's great to bail water out of the boat, but you can't then turn around and punch another hole in it.

And this defense certainly doesn't do the offense any favors with their lack of creating turnovers and giving them a short field to work with.

Romo can't afford to play it safe and conservative. This defense has proven they're not good enough to win a 14-10 defensive slugfest. The special teams have proven they're not good enough to play a game of trading field position.

This team wins with it's offense. Romo has to know in the back of his mind that he has to put up (at least) 27 on the board for this team to win going into every game. That entails high risk-high reward football. We have to win shootouts, because it's the best chance for this currently constructed team to win.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2332630 said:
Romo can't afford to play it safe and conservative. This defense has proven they're not good enough to win a 14-10 defensive slugfest. The special teams have proven they're not good enough to play a game of trading field position.

Romo knows he has put 27 on the board every week for this team to win. That entails high risk-high reward football. We have to win shootouts, because it's the best chance for this currently constructed team to win.
Pretty much head on.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2332630 said:
And this defense certainly doesn't do the offense any favors with their lack of creating turnovers and giving them a short field to work with.

This team wins with it's offense. Romo has to know in the back of his mind that he has to put up (at least) 27 on the board for this team to win going into every game. That entails high risk-high reward football. We have to win shootouts, because it's the best chance for this currently constructed team to win.

You're talking about interceptions, which don't bother me nearly as much as fumbles. Nobody fumbles more because they think their defense isn't good. (Which certainly wasn't the case in the first half -- the defense was excellent against one of the best offenses in football playing on their home field.)

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
Nope. Romo just CAN'T play safe & consertative. Couldn't if he wanted or knew enough to do.

In most of his last dozen games he's playing like a video-game football dummy with no care for protecting the football (fumbles, ints). the dumpoffs with 30 seconds to go really are head-scratchers. doesn't know how to throw it away or tuck it in (see fumbled TD the refs botched the call for exxample.

InmanRoshi;2332630 said:

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2332635 said:
You're talking about interceptions, which don't bother me nearly as much as fumbles. Nobody fumbles more because they think their defense isn't good. (Which certainly wasn't the case in the first half -- the defense was excellent against one of the best offenses in football playing on their home field.)

No fumbles come with the territory too. Romo has to hold the ball looking and waiting for his 3rd or 4th read to come open if we're going to make big plays down the field and put enough points on the board for this team to win. You don't give any credit to Romo for the MB3 TD, but that's a play where Romo has to go through all of his reads before getting the ball to Barber in the flat as his last option. That play doesn't happen when your QB is throwing the ball away after his 3rd read.

It would be nice if we could just tell him to throw the ball into the 12th row if he doesn't see anything by his 3rd read and be happy to just punt the ball away. But then we'd have to count on our defense and special teams to pull out a 17-14 kind of low scoring game (or even come up with a multiple turnover game, which I guess is mathematically impossible), and that's not certainly happening. This team has to put up 27 on the board to win. We've put 24 up on the board twice this year and lost.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
chinch;2332640 said:
Nope. Romo just CAN'T play safe & consertative. Couldn't if he wanted or knew enough to do.

In most of his last dozen games he's playing like a video-game football dummy with no care for protecting the football (fumbles, ints). the dumpoffs with 30 seconds to go really are head-scratchers. doesn't know how to throw it away or tuck it in (see fumbled TD the refs botched the call for exxample.

Yeah, high risk-high reward football comes with downsides. Who coulda thunk it??

Maybe you should keep that in mind the next time you're criticizing the coach for conservative game plans.

Boysboy

Reaction score
LOL - just 2 weeks ago, 95% of Zoners here were applauding Jerry and said how he should be GM of the year.

Where were all these complaints then?

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2332651 said:
Yeah, high risk-high reward football comes with downsides. Who coulda thunk it??

Maybe you should keep that in mind the next time you're criticizing the coach for conservative game plans.

again you're confusing FUMBLING AND BONE-HEADED play for "high-risk reward". You're excusing away total non-protection of the football on routine plays with "high-risk reward" spin.

the coaches are bad on every phase. who is criticizing "conservative"?

oh well you guys can keep defending cupcake & co.