Jerry created this monster

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coop didn't want to sign until MT and Julio do/did.

Im sure we made an offer but without setting the market that offer isn't going to be desirable enough for Coop to sign. Now that its set, I expect Coop to be signed soon, although who knows how Zeke's hold out effects Coops deal.
Cooper is in a completely different situation, he can just go though his contract year at 14M and become a FA or get a nice fat tag at around 16M and still be a young WR and in demand.

CWR

Reaction score
Cooper is in a completely different situation, he can just go though his contract year at 14M and become a FA or get a nice fat tag at around 16M and still be a young WR and in demand.

I think we sign him well before he hits the market.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry has always persisted in allowing his mouth to give his players high expectations for upcoming contracts. It would be much smarter to say nothing at all until the time comes to divvy up. It's a shame that he doesn't seem aware of that, since many players are far more prone to take advantage of it inappropriately when these promises of great generosity are haphazardly made prematurely.

Even his son, Stephen, has been known to do much the same, albeit to a lesser degree. Hopefully, it might eventually occur to them to stifle themselves until the time comes to negotiate. Making assurances of generosity through the media is simply a faulty business policy that can far too easily backfire. As it is, today's players are overly concerned with the money aspect of their sport more than ever now. Encouraging it even more is foolhardy.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree and they can justify that because going from 14M to 17 to 19M isn't the step up that the QB and RB are and I can argue that Cooper is the most critical one of the three.
I'd say he's 3rd.

conner01

Reaction score
The only mistake so far was not getting Cooper done ASAP.

The WR market is about to get stupid and Elite WR's really aren't helping teams win Championships anyways.

Dak will be the one that hurts if he gets stupid money but I feel better about it now when listening to Stephen because he mentions giving him a contract that allows them to have good players around him.
Should have signed cooper immediately assuming he was willing
He may not have been willing though

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd say he's 3rd.
I disagree in today's NFL and I am not saying the WR position is above the QB but Prescott's not a top 10 QB at this point. A WR, and I watched a lot of Cooper at Bama and was often surprised that he would disappear in OAK, that can run routes like that are a QB's dream. He's uncoverable by 90% of the CB's in the league.

Used properly and with a good #2 to make the D pay for taking Cooper out, Cooper can easily be a top 10 or even 5 WR. And today's game is all about the passing O and stretching the field out both horizontally and vertically. Cooper with Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes or really any of the top 10 QB's and he's a top 10 and a double coverage puller.

But he's still just a piece of the offense but with this OL and pending deals for the QB and RB, they realize they're in real danger of being so lopsided with cap on the O side that they'll have to be a top 3 O to even compete. It's one thing to have an O ranked outside the top 10, something else altogether to possibly have the highest paid O and do that

They hope Lawrence plays up to that lofty salary because he was the fuse they lit on a potential cap bomb. They have to stay healthy and reach through that window for that ring while it's open because it can slam shut on them, if they can't keep building that D.

I am not ragging on Prescott but without a top 10 QB, the margin for error gets mighty slim. It's like having a steak restaurant dependent on too many sides to make it. A top 10 QB gives a team a hell of a lot more wiggle room.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You can bet every owner and GM in the league is sitting back and laughing at those fools. Neither can just keep their mouths shut and just love being attention ****** while the subjects of their talk are quiet while with their agents talk with the two magpies behind closed doors.

These agents, while one is not very experienced, all know what Booger did when they were entering into negotiations with Romo's agent. He gave them the nails and climbing into the coffin and not only did his statement jack the price, it forced him into a draft alteration with regards to OL, a good thing.

The latest is Booger spouting off that this deal with Elliott could take months, does he know why? The old fool shot his mouth off about Elliott's attributes and the agent's meter started running and he can dig in deeper because of those remarks. Want to say nice things about his little buddies, wait until after they sign like he said Romo will play better now that he's paid better. Might just be the dumbest thing he's said in a long, long line of dumb things.

The irony of this is that I was beginning to think he was coming around, learning and growing into that GM job and getting better at it but I think I might have given him too much credit.

Your rant would mean something if all Elliott's contract only had just this season left on it, but Elliott has 2 more seasons and the longer Elliott drags this out the more Jones will say are you ready to hold out for 2 seasons and then have to take a low prove it contract after not playing for 2 seasons not to mention all the money he loses and then being a restricted free agent which makes it much much hard to move to another team. The longer this drags on the worse it gets for Elliott. Oh ya besides not getting paid while holding out it's costing him 40K A DAY in fines. He's already run up 280K in fines.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
The only mistake so far was not getting Cooper done ASAP.

The WR market is about to get stupid and Elite WR's really aren't helping teams win Championships anyways.

Dak will be the one that hurts if he gets stupid money but I feel better about it now when listening to Stephen because he mentions giving him a contract that allows them to have good players around him.
*I recall early on, of a couple of forum members beating on the #19 contract drum,,,that was you,wasn't it C-17?
:starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin:

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
zeke's agent , rocky , got jerry between a rock and a hard place .

jerry wont appreciate this .
No he doesn't.

Zeke is high maintenance and a crap shoot to NOT be suspended for whatever amount of games.

If my car doesn't run and I'm making payments.......yah, throwing money, millions as Jerry's concerned,, out the window.

AND......Ezee isn't honoring his signed original contract. A man's word goes a long way, imo.

Team first..........? Not looking that way.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I disagree in today's NFL and I am not saying the WR position is above the QB but Prescott's not a top 10 QB at this point. A WR, and I watched a lot of Cooper at Bama and was often surprised that he would disappear in OAK, that can run routes like that are a QB's dream. He's uncoverable by 90% of the CB's in the league.

Used properly and with a good #2 to make the D pay for taking Cooper out, Cooper can easily be a top 10 or even 5 WR. And today's game is all about the passing O and stretching the field out both horizontally and vertically. Cooper with Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes or really any of the top 10 QB's and he's a top 10 and a double coverage puller.

But he's still just a piece of the offense but with this OL and pending deals for the QB and RB, they realize they're in real danger of being so lopsided with cap on the O side that they'll have to be a top 3 O to even compete. It's one thing to have an O ranked outside the top 10, something else altogether to possibly have the highest paid O and do that

They hope Lawrence plays up to that lofty salary because he was the fuse they lit on a potential cap bomb. They have to stay healthy and reach through that window for that ring while it's open because it can slam shut on them, if they can't keep building that D.

I am not ragging on Prescott but without a top 10 QB, the margin for error gets mighty slim. It's like having a steak restaurant dependent on too many sides to make it. A top 10 QB gives a team a hell of a lot more wiggle room.
Cool post ,CC:thumbup:
*and that's why my concern in the ability of O.L. is paramount, as it'll pretty much dictate the #4's future contract numbers, either they provide adequate time in the pass pocket for him to prove out in his worth of this anticipated contract or not,ya, that O.L. health &abilities are integral in it's fair determination.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your rant would mean something if all Elliott's contract only had just this season left on it, but Elliott has 2 more seasons and the longer Elliott drags this out the more Jones will say are you ready to hold out for 2 seasons and then have to take a low prove it contract after not playing for 2 seasons not to mention all the money he loses and then being a restricted free agent which makes it much much hard to move to another team. The longer this drags on the worse it gets for Elliott. Oh ya besides not getting paid while holding out it's costing him 40K A DAY in fines. He's already run up 280K in fines.
Whoa there podnah! You think that's one of my rants? I am insulted. Not one vein in my forehead was pooching out as I calm, cool and collectively composed that post.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

You've made some valid points here, although, Jerry hasn't elected to fine Elliott and may not do so for a while yet. Let's see if Ezekiel continues to follow through with the faulty advice that his agent is providing him. Zeke and his agent should have realized the bind that the FO is in to satisfy everyone who is due for the many millions that will be overdue very soon. For Zeke, awaiting his turn, rather than rushing it, would have been far more realistic.

Last edited:

GMO415

Reaction score
zeke's agent , rocky , got jerry between a rock and a hard place .

jerry wont appreciate this .
Zeke has no leverage......he's not going to give up $300k a week. Not to mention he's expected to earn $9 million next season... It's a dog that has no bite!

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Zeke has no leverage......he's not going to give up $300k a week. Not to mention he's expected to earn $9 million next season... It's a dog that has no bite!

He does have leverage.

He can sit.

The market rate for elite RBs is 4 yr/60 million. [TGurley / Bell ]

Zeke will want at least that.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I try to keep away from contract threads...but one quick question. Doesn't he only have a 4 year deal until the option is picked up? Has it been picked up?

Cowboys22

Reaction score
...now he doesn't know whether to slay it or feed it!
Jerry going around and telling every open mic that we were going to sign Dak, Coop and Zeke. What did he expect? If he doesn't sign these guys it's gonna be a long tension filled season. Zeke gets signed and Dak doesn't, I don't think Dak will be happy and vice versa. He needs to find a way to sign them all before the season. IMO

I agree Jerry and Stephen talking so much has created this situation but they could fix it all tomorrow if they had the stones to do it. Give Cooper whatever he wants within reason because you have zero chance of getting anyone better anytime soon, tell Dak he will have to prove himself with a deep playoff run to get franchise QB money and be prepared to be franchised next year if no reasonable deal can be reached, then go out and sign or trade for a legit RB and tell Zeke he can sit and rot. Then you move forward with Dak, Cooper, and a new RB to go with the rookies. If Dak decides to join Zeke, you go with Rush and White and look forward to drafting a new QB with a top 3 pick next year. No way at all I’m committing $50-55 million per year to Dak and Zeke before they take me to at least a NFC Championship.