Twitter: Jerry explains the Amari Cooper trade

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on @1053thefan when asked about WR Amari Cooper being traded from Cleveland to Buffalo last week for a 3rd-round pick after Dallas moved Cooper for a 5th-round pick in 2022:

“We went for the dollars. When we traded Amari Cooper, we saved almost $20 million for our cap and the future. We took a lesser draft pick to get that savings. When he made this move the other day, Cleveland went for more draft pick and less savings. It was very simple.”

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
As much as I love to rag on Jerry every opportunity I get, the value of the Cooper deal really wasnt the problem. When you trade a high dollar player right before the start of free agency you're going to get minimal value back. The situation matters as much as the player involved.

The issue is Jerry thought he was smart for offloading a really good receiver in order to pay a guy coming off a major injury. Jerry thought he was playing chess.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
As much as I love to rag on Jerry every opportunity I get, the value of the Cooper deal really wasnt the problem. When you trade a high dollar player right before the start of free agency you're going to get minimal value back. The situation matters as much as the player involved.
Thank you.

Amari was an offseason cap dump.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on @1053thefan when asked about WR Amari Cooper being traded from Cleveland to Buffalo last week for a 3rd-round pick after Dallas moved Cooper for a 5th-round pick in 2022:

“We went for the dollars. When we traded Amari Cooper, we saved almost $20 million for our cap and the future. We took a lesser draft pick to get that savings. When he made this move the other day, Cleveland went for more draft pick and less savings. It was very simple.”

Translate.......We no longer wanted Coop on this team. Notice didn't even bother to offer him a pay cut to stay. The same thing when they decided to get rid of Dez.

John813

Reaction score
Could of restructured his deal, as his base salary was no longer guaranteed and his initial signing bonus was peanuts.
IIRC Base salary of 20mil, with a prorated bonus of 2mil = 22mil cap hit.

Since Dallas traded him in March they took a 6mil dead cap in 2022. 22, 23, 24 prorated signing bonus = 6mil
22mil-6mil = 16mil

15.46mil of that "savings" went to Schultz and Gallup.

Schultz walked after the year. Gallup never recovered.

Say by 2023 Cooper was declining or FO was really sick of him. He would of had 2 years left, for 40mil, all non guaranteed.
If they just cut him they would of saved 18mil on the cap in 23 and of course 22 mil for the 24 cap.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score

As always, Jerry is all about the money. Is it any wonder this team hasn't won squat since 1995?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cooper trade is very understandable.
And they gave the money to Gallup, feeling he would be pre-injured Gallup. It did not work.
I do not Balme the FO for either move.

Hindsight is always 20-20. And a chance for fans to whine about some things instead of understanding the circumstances at the time.
No, I am not defending Jerry overall. I am just saying the moves were justified at the time.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Jerry re: Amari Cooper trade - “We saved $20 million for our cap and future…” :laugh:

He never sees any irony, never seems to self-reflect, somehow says with a straight face that he alone can fix this team, even though he alone is responsible for all major decisions. He’s an unaccountable, insecure, 82 year old billionaire who surrounds himself with family and sycophants who tell him how great he is.

One word: Pathetic.

HungryLion

Reaction score

Did Jerry then discuss how they turned around and gave most of the money to a WR coming off a torn ACL who sucked every day since and has since been cut?

I’m guessing not.