Twitter: Jerry explains the Amari Cooper trade

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
a foolish one. especially considering the way the browns immediately converted his salary to make it more palatable, and the jones immediately gave the savings to gallup. it was a dumb move no matter the rationalization
Not having a replacement was dumb but Amari was overpriced for what he was at the time.

I'm pretty sure his salary was going to fully guarantee so they wouldn't have been able to restructure, and he would have had the ~$20m cap hit. I don't remember exactly, but I don't think the Browns restructured him until this offseason.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The Cooper trade is very understandable.
And they gave the money to Gallup, feeling he would be pre-injured Gallup. It did not work.
I do not Balme the FO for either move.

Hindsight is always 20-20. And a chance for fans to whine about some things instead of understanding the circumstances at the time.
No, I am not defending Jerry overall. I am just saying the moves were justified at the time.
Fair, but “it did not work” happens far too often.

What’s supposed to make anyone think it ever will? It’s not at all bound to change, and there’s the frustration.

JustChip

Reaction score
And they gave the money to Gallup, feeling he would be pre-injured Gallup. It did not work.

Hindsight is always 20-20. And a chance for fans to whine about some things instead of understanding the circumstances at the time.
No, I am not defending Jerry overall. I am just saying the moves were justified at the time.
I’m sorry, but in no universe was pre-injury Gallup on par with Cooper. It made way more sense to restructure Cooper, and that’s not an injury hindsight observation. Trading Cooper had as much to do with a personal choice made by him as anything else. Jerry made the deal with Cooper from a position of weakness instead of strength, or at least, one of neutrality.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m sorry, but in no universe was pre-injury Gallup on par with Cooper. It made way more sense to restructure Cooper, and that’s not an injury hindsight observation. Trading Cooper had as much to do with a personal choice made by him as anything else. Jerry made the deal with Cooper from a position of weakness instead of strength, or at least, one of neutrality.
I did not say they were on par with each other. But Gallup was not a bad player. He was younger, cost less. And did not check out in games as Cooper did at times .

DFWJC

Reaction score

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on @1053thefan when asked about WR Amari Cooper being traded from Cleveland to Buffalo last week for a 3rd-round pick after Dallas moved Cooper for a 5th-round pick in 2022:

“We went for the dollars. When we traded Amari Cooper, we saved almost $20 million for our cap and the future. We took a lesser draft pick to get that savings. When he made this move the other day, Cleveland went for more draft pick and less savings. It was very simple.”

He is correct.
People always forget there are two parts....salary and draft picks

But he STILL could've gotten more even with saving the 20 mil/ year

Proof

Reaction score

hindsight is 20-20 is only useable when people weren't actively saying the same things in the moment. even if gallup did bounce back to pre-injury form (no one thought he would, and definitely not immediately) it would have STILL been moronic.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
hindsight is 20-20 is only useable when people weren't actively saying the same things in the moment. even if gallup did bounce back to pre-injury form (no one thought he would, and definitely not immediately) it would have STILL been moronic.
None of us knows that for sure.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Bad trade all around. Bad draft pick for the value. Substituted his money for Gallup who was coming off career ending rehabilitation. And rumor was Cowboys were pissed at him for failing to get a shot. There is a reason why fans are still sore about the trade.