Twitter: Jerry explains the Amari Cooper trade

khiladi

Reaction score

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on @1053thefan when asked about WR Amari Cooper being traded from Cleveland to Buffalo last week for a 3rd-round pick after Dallas moved Cooper for a 5th-round pick in 2022:

“We went for the dollars. When we traded Amari Cooper, we saved almost $20 million for our cap and the future. We took a lesser draft pick to get that savings. When he made this move the other day, Cleveland went for more draft pick and less savings. It was very simple.”

Half the board wanted him gone as well…. They are just as bad as Jerry..

Jerry clearly wasn’t thinking about the future when he resigned Dak this year and have him no-trade clauses two contracts in a row..

Future only means something when you have a plan..

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I’m sorry, but in no universe was pre-injury Gallup on par with Cooper. It made way more sense to restructure Cooper, and that’s not an injury hindsight observation. Trading Cooper had as much to do with a personal choice made by him as anything else. Jerry made the deal with Cooper from a position of weakness instead of strength, or at least, one of neutrality.
Coop hated Dak then and still does now, just ask him.
Coop wanted out of Dallas and made it clear to Jerry.

Blue64

Reaction score
The Cooper trade is very understandable.
And they gave the money to Gallup, feeling he would be pre-injured Gallup. It did not work.
I do not Balme the FO for either move.

Hindsight is always 20-20. And a chance for fans to whine about some things instead of understanding the circumstances at the time.
No, I am not defending Jerry overall. I am just saying the moves were justified at the time.
Understandable?
They gave the money to a WR2 that showed some flashes here and there.
Cooper was an established number 1 who the Cowboys dumped thinking they were making a shrewd deal.

Sydla

Reaction score
The Browns wouldn't have acquired the bonus.

Yes, it is. You're lost in the minutiae of cap logistics and ignoring the main point that Amari had years and dollars left on his deal.

Your point is that Amari costing ~$800k for 1 year is the same value as and costing ~$60m over 3 years lol. The semantics beyond that fundamental point don't matter.
Huh? The point is it wasn't a bonus. It was a guarantee of the base salary. Again, the Browns traded for him BEFORE that March 21st date. So if it was a bonus, they would have inherited that obligation. But we know it wasn't a bonus because two days after acquiring him, they converted that base salary to bonus to lower the cap hit for 2022. How are you struggling with this? We know exactly what was to happen on March 21st - his injury guaranteed 2022 salary was to then convert to a full guaranteed salary. You are now trying to argue that maybe there was some other trigger on the 21st that forced Jerry's hand - there was none. You keep arguing this is unimportant but you were the one who floated the notion that Jerry HAD to trade him by March 21st as factual evidence in support of your overall claims about Cooper's value but we know Jerry did not have to trade him by March 21st.

Last edited:

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Huh? The point is it wasn't a bonus. It was a guarantee of the base salary. Again, the Browns traded for him BEFORE that March 21st date. So if it was a bonus, they would have inherited that obligation. But we know it wasn't a bonus because two days after acquiring him, they converted that base salary to bonus to lower the cap hit for 2022. How are you struggling with this? We know exactly what was to happen on March 21st - his injury guaranteed 2022 salary was to then convert to a full guaranteed salary. You are now trying to argue that maybe there was some other trigger on the 21st that forced Jerry's hand - there was none. You keep arguing this is unimportant but you were the one who floated the notion that Jerry HAD to trade him by March 21st as factual evidence in support of your overall claims about Cooper's value but we know Jerry did not have to trade him by March 21st.
tl;dr

Was Amari Cooper still owed a bunch of money on his contract? Yes.

Creeper

Reaction score
Jerry could have saved $16 million by restructuring Cooper's deal too. He didn't have to give him away for a 5th round pick. And why was Jerry trashing Cooper in the media before the trade? It was't about money, it was about Jerry getting a bug up his behind about Cooper.

Sydla

Reaction score
tl;dr

Was Amari Cooper still owed a bunch of money on his contract? Yes.
tl;dr is code for I said some stuff that wasn't accurate and now I want to move on.

And technically, Cooper was not owed a bunch of money on his contract. Instead of trading him, the Cowboys could have cut him on March 17th and they would not have owed him a single penny more. The Browns, after trading for him, could have woken up the next day and said "Man, we were really dumb making that trade yesterday, we don't want Cooper on this team............" and they could have cut him and owed him ZERO dollars.

For all intents and purposes, the Browns acquired a one year contract. That's it. They could have let him play out 2022 at $20MM and then cut him after the season for no financial pain. They made the decision to hold onto him longer by restructuring him but in reality, all they owed him if they had done literally nothing after acquiring him was $20MM for one year. That's it.

Sydla

Reaction score
The Browns wouldn't have acquired the bonus.

Yes, it is. You're lost in the minutiae of cap logistics and ignoring the main point that Amari had years and dollars left on his deal.

Your point is that Amari costing ~$800k for 1 year is the same value as and costing ~$60m over 3 years lol. The semantics beyond that fundamental point don't matter.
PS - I missed this, but what is the $800K number above?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
PS - I missed this, but what is the $800K number above?
Amari with the Bills
tl;dr is code for I said some stuff that wasn't accurate and now I want to move on.

And technically, Cooper was not owed a bunch of money on his contract. Instead of trading him, the Cowboys could have cut him on March 17th and they would not have owed him a single penny more. The Browns, after trading for him, could have woken up the next day and said "Man, we were really dumb making that trade yesterday, we don't want Cooper on this team............" and they could have cut him and owed him ZERO dollars.

For all intents and purposes, the Browns acquired a one year contract. That's it. They could have let him play out 2022 at $20MM and then cut him after the season for no financial pain. They made the decision to hold onto him longer by restructuring him but in reality, all they owed him if they had done literally nothing after acquiring him was $20MM for one year. That's it.
No, it is code for you are using too many words to say a lot of things that don't matter.

You're literally laying out the argument for why he was only worth a 5th.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Understandable?
They gave the money to a WR2 that showed some flashes here and there.
Cooper was an established number 1 who the Cowboys dumped thinking they were making a shrewd deal.
Yes understandable at the time considering the circumstances. Apparently you did no read all of my post.