Twitter: Jerry explains the Amari Cooper trade

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I don't get how Lance for a 4th is a win for the 9ers. They gave up 2 firsts for this guy, and they look smart?
They at least admitted to a horrible mistake, and managed to get a little something back rather than a total loss.

Knowing Jerry, we'll keep Lance around to waste a roster spot for years as Jerry designates him the future of the Cowboys rather than admit his mistake in trading for him.

Proof

Reaction score
Not having a replacement was dumb but Amari was overpriced for what he was at the time.

I'm pretty sure his salary was going to fully guarantee so they wouldn't have been able to restructure, and he would have had the ~$20m cap hit. I don't remember exactly, but I don't think the Browns restructured him until this offseason.
i may be blurring the details, but i'm almost certain the 40 million he was paid the first two years of his contract were all the guaranteed money due. and the browns restructured as soon as they got him and added a couple of void years and got it down to a super reasonable amount of money. And then were able to trade him for a better pick while getting solid production out of him while on the team. I don't think he was worth 20 mil a year, but it was the cost, and him and ceedee were a dangerous combination. i just still hate it so much.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
look who finally decides to show up
I been here.
I was here between 5 AM and almost 8 AM, came back on at 9:30 and look in off and on.
I do have other things to do and not live in here. Not like the Capital One guy and have a bed in here. :muttley:

You are slacking. :laugh:

Gooch

E-Dog
Reaction score
They at least admitted to a horrible mistake, and managed to get a little something back rather than a total loss.

Knowing Jerry, we'll keep Lance around to waste a roster spot for years as Jerry designates him the future of the Cowboys rather than admit his mistake in trading for him.
At this point, you're buying used goods. Would it be better if we got rid of Lance for a conditional 7th? Would people say that Jerry "fleeced" whomever traded for him?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sorry, knows what for sure?
That it would have been moronic. Gallup was not a bad player, he had just as many good plays as Cooper. And Cooper in his last year was not a difference maker either.
It seems that way now, in hindsight.

Look at the Claiborne selection. They traded up, it was considered a good move at the time. In hindsight, it did not turn out as well. Because of the draft capital they gave up, plus he was not the next Deion as everyone wanted. Once again, fan expectations and hindsight for over criticism takes precedence over logic at the time it happened.

Now, the Roy Williams trade, yeah, we knew right away that was too much to give up. Fans complained or many did right away, and rightfully so. And they were correct.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
i may be blurring the details, but i'm almost certain the 40 million he was paid the first two years of his contract were all the guaranteed money due. and the browns restructured as soon as they got him and added a couple of void years and got it down to a super reasonable amount of money. And then were able to trade him for a better pick while getting solid production out of him while on the team. I don't think he was worth 20 mil a year, but it was the cost, and him and ceedee were a dangerous combination. i just still hate it so much.
Amari's 2022 contract was going to fully guarantee in March (I don't remember the exact date) so they would have been on the hook for that. They still had dead money that year - 6 million or so.

I believe the void years Cleveland added were this season. They didn't inherit the bonus money and Cooper had a $23m cap hit last year, so I don't think they could have done anything.

Proof

Reaction score
That it would have been moronic. Gallup was not a bad player, he had just as many good plays as Cooper. And Cooper in his last year was not a difference maker either.
It seems that way now, in hindsight.

Look at the Claiborne selection. They traded up, it was considered a good move at the time. In hindsight, it did not turn out as well. Because of the draft capital they gave up, plus he was not the next Deion as everyone wanted. Once again, fan expectations and hindsight for over criticism takes precedence over logic at the time it happened.

Now, the Roy Williams trade, yeah, we knew right away that was too much to give up. Fans complained or many did right away, and rightfully so. And they were correct.
oh sure, can't say ironclad. what i'm saying is that if you take gallup at his best and project it out, amari was still better and the right choice. and that's not including the devastating career impacting injury he was fresh off of. not liking amari is fine, not thinking he was worth his salary is fine, not admitting the way they traded him, and where they allocated the money was foolish AT THE TIME, is not. there is no hindsight. hindsight is saying "we didn't know gallup wouldn't recover"

Proof

Reaction score
Amari's 2022 contract was going to fully guarantee in March (I don't remember the exact date) so they would have been on the hook for that. They still had dead money that year - 6 million or so.

I believe the void years Cleveland added were this season. They didn't inherit the bonus money and Cooper had a $23m cap hit last year, so I don't think they could have done anything.
yeah, i guess that's what i'm saying. each subsequent year was essentially a one year deal moving forward. they didn't owe him money for the duration of the contract, they could just play it out season by season. i'd be less upset if something like that happened the following season, but given the state of the team and the pairing of him and ceedee i thought one more season was far more prudent especially with gallup hurt. oh well, spilled milk, but it SUCKS

Mr_437

Reaction score
Do let Jerry trick y'all, heck, trade Steele, Martin, DLaw, Dono, Cooks if you want to save money now. Money isn't the reason he wanted to trade Amari. Also, this dudethinks he got good value lol...I don't care what no one says Cooper was worth more than a 5th, even with his cap number.

Funny how Jerry said he wasn't going to go thru all his bad decisions, yet now he's going thru them.

OhReally

Reaction score
As much as I love to rag on Jerry every opportunity I get, the value of the Cooper deal really wasnt the problem. When you trade a high dollar player right before the start of free agency you're going to get minimal value back. The situation matters as much as the player involved.

The issue is Jerry thought he was smart for offloading a really good receiver in order to pay a guy coming off a major injury. Jerry thought he
Could of restructured his deal, as his base salary was no longer guaranteed and his initial signing bonus was peanuts.
IIRC Base salary of 20mil, with a prorated bonus of 2mil = 22mil cap hit.

Since Dallas traded him in March they took a 6mil dead cap in 2022. 22, 23, 24 prorated signing bonus = 6mil
22mil-6mil = 16mil

15.46mil of that "savings" went to Schultz and Gallup.

Schultz walked after the year. Gallup never recovered.

Say by 2023 Cooper was declining or FO was really sick of him. He would of had 2 years left, for 40mil, all non guaranteed.
If they just cut him they would of saved 18mil on the cap in 23 and of course 22 mil for the 24 ca

He is correct.
People always forget there are two parts....salary and draft picks

But he STILL could've gotten more even with saving the 20 mil/ year
Jerry's lying. So why did he bad mouth Cooper so bad every team knew he would be released. It started getting close to the release date, no one was biting and gave him up for Netflix password. There were articles of teams who would have interest after his release

Just like him now saying Derrick Henry may not have fit our system.. This is a clown show because we have an owner and GM that is so narcissistic it's impossible for him to admit he's wrong.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on @1053thefan when asked about WR Amari Cooper being traded from Cleveland to Buffalo last week for a 3rd-round pick after Dallas moved Cooper for a 5th-round pick in 2022:

“We went for the dollars. When we traded Amari Cooper, we saved almost $20 million for our cap and the future. We took a lesser draft pick to get that savings. When he made this move the other day, Cleveland went for more draft pick and less savings. It was very simple.”

Where was the follow up question on how did that work out? Where did the $20M go? We still owe Gallup $13M in Dead Money.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Someone ask Jerry why he's sitting on 24+ million in cap space when out team is barely .500.
Or why we're paying 22+ million in dead money?

Dude is gone.

Aven8

Reaction score
I thought everyone understood this at the time? It was always about the money

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Someone ask Jerry why he's sitting on 24+ million in cap space when out team is barely .500.
Or why we're paying 22+ million in dead money?

Dude is gone.
They said they are saving it for the 2025 cap. As it will roll over and they can use it then.
I guess ALL IN means ALL IN the BANK until 2025.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Cowboys got worked in that deal.

Jerry's desire to save cash on top of him being pissed over the whole you know what is why he moved him.
No, they got what the market was.

He got mad because Amari got suspended for being uncommitted and then being unproductive. People act like Amari was tearing the league up in 2021.

If Micah went out unvaxed and exposed himself to a large crowd, people like you would do nothing but talk about how immature and uncommited to the team he is and then say he should be traded because he's not worth the contract.

Sydla

Reaction score

Are you saying the Cowboy would have been on the hook in 2022 for that guarantee if they had traded him after the March date?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry is a fool to explain this at all. Everyone can see the Cowboy's trade of Amari wasn't good for the franchise but it's in the past and should be left there. At this point, he doesn't owe anyone an explanation for what happened back then. Anyone digging that up and asking him to explain it now can go to hell. That should have been his response.

Sydla

Reaction score
No, they got what the market was.

He got mad because Amari got suspended for being uncommitted and then being unproductive. People act like Amari was tearing the league up in 2021.

If Micah went out unvaxed and exposed himself to a large crowd, people like you would do nothing but talk about how immature and uncommited to the team he is and then say he should be traded because he's not worth the contract.
I take no opinion on that last paragraph. My only point is that it wasn't just finances that drove Jerry to trade him. There were other issues involved. If anything, I kind of sided with Jerry on that.

Reactions: G2