Twitter: Jerry explains the Amari Cooper trade

fivetwos

Reaction score
Am I seriously the only one that remembers Jerry being pissed off that AC missed time, specifically the KC game, with Covid because he didn’t get vaccinated and suggested that he wasn’t a “team player?”

That aside, we got Waletzko with the pick we got for him. Can’t really complain. There’s a small shot he may see the field in year four. Remember, they “draft well.”

DandyDon52

Reaction score
More of Jerrys lies , with a little truth mixed in !!!!!! lol
He wanted amari gone,(personal reasons) and would have taken a 7th !
They were going with lamb as the #1 so no longer needed amari. Lamb was already getting the bulk of the targets.

With dallas draft picks are worth more because thats all they do, no FA !
So if they could have gotten a 2 or 3 for amari, and paid some of his salary, it might have been worth the $?

Also amari is 4 years older now and he hasnt been that good in cleveland, so getting a 3 for him is amazing !
Jerry only got a 5 when he was 4 years younger, and had been good with the cowboys.

Sydla

Reaction score
Nothing I said wasn't accurate, I'm also not reading anything beyond your first sentences so I don't know what your point is.
You first said the Cowboys had to move him before March 21st due to the base salary becoming guaranteed. That's false. They didn't have to move him. Guaranteed salary is only the responsibility of the team that actually pays his salary in that year - which was the Browns. So no, the Cowboys didn't need to trade him before March 21st. They could have waited until April 1st, traded him and the guarantee would have shifted to the Browns.

You also said you can't restructure guaranteed salary. Again, that's false. You absolutely can restructure guaranteed base salary. All a restructure does is shift when the money is paid. It doesn't change the nature of the guarantee.

These are just two obvious inaccuracies uttered by you.

rambo2

Reaction score
It’s obscene how badly the Cowboys front office gets hosed in trades. A 4th for Lance looks awfully shrewd for the 9ers in hindsight. Cowboys only good trade in forever was for Hank.
What did those shrewd 49ers give up to draft Lance in the first place?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It’s obscene how badly the Cowboys front office gets hosed in trades. A 4th for Lance looks awfully shrewd for the 9ers in hindsight. Cowboys only good trade in forever was for Hank.
The Niners were in a better position to know.

Lance was a legitimate QB prospect. He was a low downside, high upside roll of the dice. Most of those will fail.

I've argued that we should be doing *more* of those, not less, and I think the contract of the 60 Million Dollar Man and his subsequent play bears that out. Try to hit on young QBs on the cheap, like Dak and Romo. And Lance. Veteran retreads too. You obviously won't always hit. But when you do, it's a *massive* win for the team. Also, you can afford to *run* a cheap QB and get that added dimension out of him that you can't risk with a QB who has over a hundred million of dead money pending.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
What did those shrewd 49ers give up to draft Lance in the first place?
They thought they could hit on the next Mahomes, and were very wrong. Much like we were wrong that Claiborne was the next Patrick Peterson.

With Lance, we thought we could hit on at least 4th round value out of Lance. Looks like we were wrong too. But it wasn't that much of a stretch for us. If we could have made him into a credible backup some other team probably signs him for enough to us to get a 4th or 5th round pick back. And he could have become a starter in the league. He may still.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
No one cares Jerry. Your moves suck. I thought maybe he hit on something with the Lance trade based on his draft status and potential, but then he went and paid the current 23rd ranked QB DakChoka the highest salary for a QB ever.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
You first said the Cowboys had to move him before March 21st due to the base salary becoming guaranteed. That's false. They didn't have to move him. Guaranteed salary is only the responsibility of the team that actually pays his salary in that year - which was the Browns. So no, the Cowboys didn't need to trade him before March 21st. They could have waited until April 1st, traded him and the guarantee would have shifted to the Browns.

You also said you can't restructure guaranteed salary. Again, that's false. You absolutely can restructure guaranteed base salary. All a restructure does is shift when the money is paid. It doesn't change the nature of the guarantee.

These are just two obvious inaccuracies uttered by you.
No, I said it was in the article.

You can't if it was already going to be guaranteed as a bonus. We don't know what the guarantee was going to be on March 21.

Again, a pedant going to pedant. You're so far off from the point that I don't even know what your actual point is.

Sydla

Reaction score
No, I said it was in the article.

You can't if it was already going to be guaranteed as a bonus. We don't know what the guarantee was going to be on March 21.

Again, a pedant going to pedant. You're so far off from the point that I don't even know what your actual point is.
This is still wrong. What was guaranteed was his 2022 salary. It was not a bonus. How do we know this? Because if it was a bonus, the Browns wouldn’t have then restructured his contract two days after the trade. They converted a large portion of that base salary to a bonus.

It’s not pedantic. It literally cuts to one of your main points as to why this wasn’t a bad trade. You floated a theory about his contract and that theory doesn’t hold up to actual facts.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s been like this for decades. Some fans defend him when we’re are having more successful seasons and then when we are struggling bash him.

We should be bashing him regardless. This is why he’s proven that simply remaining relevant is enough .

eromeopolk

Reaction score

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on @1053thefan when asked about WR Amari Cooper being traded from Cleveland to Buffalo last week for a 3rd-round pick after Dallas moved Cooper for a 5th-round pick in 2022:

“We went for the dollars. When we traded Amari Cooper, we saved almost $20 million for our cap and the future. We took a lesser draft pick to get that savings. When he made this move the other day, Cleveland went for more draft pick and less savings. It was very simple.”

Rookies are cheap and premium round rookie WR can play immediately. So it was another Jerry DUMBO GM Jones trade. Because his billionaire butt is cheap, He messed up the best trade he made after Jimmy Johnson.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
When you trade a high dollar player right before the start of free agency you're going to get minimal value back.
Ok, but reconcile the mantra that contracts are going to be a bargain in the future. If I have a top player locked into a "current" market rate contract, why wouldn't the acquiring party pay me some premium for having the $'s locked in?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
This is still wrong. What was guaranteed was his 2022 salary. It was not a bonus. How do we know this? Because if it was a bonus, the Browns wouldn’t have then restructured his contract two days after the trade. They converted a large portion of that base salary to a bonus.

It’s not pedantic. It literally cuts to one of your main points as to why this wasn’t a bad trade. You floated a theory about his contract and that theory doesn’t hold up to actual facts.
The Browns wouldn't have acquired the bonus.

Yes, it is. You're lost in the minutiae of cap logistics and ignoring the main point that Amari had years and dollars left on his deal.

Your point is that Amari costing ~$800k for 1 year is the same value as and costing ~$60m over 3 years lol. The semantics beyond that fundamental point don't matter.

ICP

Reaction score
Just say your an idiot that doesn't know what he's doing Jerry, we would have some respect for you,.for once

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Ok, but reconcile the mantra that contracts are going to be a bargain in the future. If I have a top player locked into a "current" market rate contract, why wouldn't the acquiring party pay me some premium for having the $'s locked in?
Because rarely is that actually true as teams backload these deals. Its why prior to the most recent extension Dak was set to count $55M against the cap this year despite having an annual average value of $40M. Similarly with Cooper Dallas and Cleveland both took advantage of 1 cheap year out of that deal, but the others have all been over his $20M AAV since Cleveland elected to kick money to the back of his deal. Cooper was the #1 cap hit at WR in the league for 2023, and after trading him Cleveland will take on cap hits of $7M for this year and $23M for next year.

The real value for Buffalo here is that Cleveland ate the money so Cooper only cost them $800k. Had Dallas been willing to eat a portion of the contract before trading him to Cleveland they likely could have netted a higher draft pick as well.