Twitter: Jerry explains the Amari Cooper trade

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
cut him due to salary? a year after they extended him? and paid a bunch of money up front!!!!

no, it was personal between Cooper and Jerry and Jerry was going to dump him come hell or high water
How I remember it and I could be wrong is they had an out of his deal after the second year which coincidentally was when Gallup was a free agent. They saved 20 million.

I don’t know why they fell out with each other but I’d imagine it is why Cooper is on his fourth team.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What does it matter if you cannot play? When you go 12 - 5.....you should feel as if you are getting close. So you make moves to go to the next level

You do not replace Cooper with Gallup (and injured Gallup I might add) and view that as a move that will help you take the next step!
And again, there was more to it than that. As I said in hindsight many fans will see it differently after time passes.
I am not saying I agree with it. But it was understandable as well.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He calmed down after all the criticism he received after his last radio interview. If I ran the station I wouldn’t have him on anymore. Only provides is a bunch of huhs and BS.
I don't get that either. They can't think people actually tune in to listen to him do they?

Sydla

Reaction score
Neither have you

But Davante Adams' trade value in the same situation shows that the value of the player is depressed
The problem is you are saying things about the contract that just weren't true. For example, you first tried to insinuate they had to trade him by the 21st of March because of the guaranteed salary but they really didn't have to if you really understood his contract.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
The problem is you are saying things about the contract that just weren't true. For example, you first tried to insinuate they had to trade him by the 21st of March because of the guaranteed salary but they really didn't have to if you really understood his contract.
Did he have two years left on his deal? Yes. Were the Cowboys forced to move him before the guarantee hit? Yes, because the restructure isn't available if his contract is already guaranteed. You also don't understand his contract because you don't know how the guarantees were structured.

You confuse being pedantic with being clever and are missing the entire point.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
He calmed down after all the criticism he received after his last radio interview. If I ran the station I wouldn’t have him on anymore. Only provides is a bunch of huhs and BS.
Jerry is good for business, he'll eventually say something crazy and go viral that brings more clicks, views and exposure for the station. While it may be embarrassing for fans, it's great content for the station.

Sydla

Reaction score
Did he have two years left on his deal? Yes. Were the Cowboys forced to move him before the guarantee hit? Yes, because the restructure isn't available if his contract is already guaranteed. You also don't understand his contract because you don't know how the guarantees were structured.

You confuse being pedantic with being clever and are missing the entire point.
They weren't forced to move him before the 2022 salary was guaranteed. You keep saying that but it's false. As long as they traded him, there were no cap implications for the salary becoming guaranteed. If they hadn't traded him and kept him for the 2022 season, guess what? The cap hit would have been the same for him guarantee or not.

Oh and you are wrong again, yes you can restructure the contract if the base salary is guaranteed. In that case, you convert a portion of the guaranteed salary to a bonus, pay him that cash now and what's left as salary remains guaranteed. In that case, all you are doing it changing the timing of payment to the player. Instead of getting his guarantee salary over 18 weeks in the fall of 2022, he would get a huge chunk in March and then the remaining salary would be spread over the 18 weeks in Fall 2022. Players love that.

I understand the contract. There's no trick to the guarantee. His contract stated that his full base salary would become fully guaranteed on March 21st. So basically, he was guaranteed to get the $20MM over the course of the 2022 season even if he got cut (the 2022 base salary was already guaranteed in case of injury). The guarantee doesn't change the cap calculation (you had to carry his full $20MM base on the cap anyway, guarantee or not). The guarantee doesn't stay with the team who traded him, it goes to the team who acquired him who then have to carry his salary on their cap.

Jerry is trying to sell this is as a desperation move that he had to make and that's why he got a bad return but he's gaslighting you and you are lapping it up.

Staubacher

Reaction score
The Cooper trade is very understandable.
And they gave the money to Gallup, feeling he would be pre-injured Gallup. It did not work.
I do not Balme the FO for either move.

Hindsight is always 20-20. And a chance for fans to whine about some things instead of understanding the circumstances at the time.
No, I am not defending Jerry overall. I am just saying the moves were justified at the time.
No hindsight. A LOT of us thought the Gallup signing was stupid and throwing away money. At the time.
Same with Dak, same with Zeke same with not getting Henry

Chasing6

Reaction score

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on @1053thefan when asked about WR Amari Cooper being traded from Cleveland to Buffalo last week for a 3rd-round pick after Dallas moved Cooper for a 5th-round pick in 2022:

“We went for the dollars. When we traded Amari Cooper, we saved almost $20 million for our cap and the future. We took a lesser draft pick to get that savings. When he made this move the other day, Cleveland went for more draft pick and less savings. It was very simple.”

Jerry's explanations are crap. We saved nothing.

We are still paying Gallup $13M in dead cap space. So we saved $7M and gained Gallups production over Coopers'?

That is a net loss no matter how you look at it.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
They weren't forced to move him before the 2022 salary was guaranteed. You keep saying that but it's false. As long as they traded him, there were no cap implications for the salary becoming guaranteed. If they hadn't traded him and kept him for the 2022 season, guess what? The cap hit would have been the same for him guarantee or not.

Oh and you are wrong again, yes you can restructure the contract if the base salary is guaranteed. In that case, you convert a portion of the guaranteed salary to a bonus, pay him that cash now and what's left as salary remains guaranteed.

I understand the contract. There's no trick to the guarantee. His contract stated that his full base salary would become fully guaranteed on March 21st. So basically, he was guaranteed to get the $20MM over the course of the 2022 season even if he got cut (the 2022 base salary was already guaranteed in case of injury). The guarantee doesn't change the cap calculation (you had to carry his full $20MM base on the cap anyway, guarantee or not). The guarantee doesn't stay with the team who traded him, it goes to the team who acquired him who then have to carry his salary on their cap.

Jerry is trying to sell this is as a desperation move that he had to make and that's why he got a bad return but he's gaslighting you and you are lapping it up.
Yawn.

Did he have years left? Yes. That deflates value.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Oh and you are wrong again, yes you can restructure the contract if the base salary is guaranteed. In that case, you convert a portion of the guaranteed salary to a bonus, pay him that cash now and what's left as salary remains guaranteed. In that case, all you are doing it changing the timing of payment to the player. Instead of getting his guarantee salary over 18 weeks in the fall of 2022, he would get a huge chunk in March and then the remaining salary would be spread over the 18 weeks in Fall 2022. Players love that.

Cooper stated he was willing to restructure his contract.

LysleE

Reaction score
Jerry…yes you offloaded Amari’s contract, but turned around and paid Gallup, who just had surgery, and whom you ended up subsequently waiving!
You should teach a Masterclass in NFL Personnel Management.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Jerry…yes you offloaded Amari’s contract, but turned around and paid Gallup, who just had surgery, and whom you ended up subsequently waiving!
You should teach a Masterclass in NFL Personnel Management.
You mean extending and paying top $ to a late season ACL injured player is not a good investment???

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on @1053thefan when asked about WR Amari Cooper being traded from Cleveland to Buffalo last week for a 3rd-round pick after Dallas moved Cooper for a 5th-round pick in 2022:

“We went for the dollars. When we traded Amari Cooper, we saved almost $20 million for our cap and the future. We took a lesser draft pick to get that savings. When he made this move the other day, Cleveland went for more draft pick and less savings. It was very simple.”

3e4bf625-06d8-4c1f-813a-4f51035ef002_text.gif

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
LOL.

So you said a bunch of stuff about contracts that wasn't accurate so let's shift to another argument.
Nothing I said wasn't accurate, I'm also not reading anything beyond your first sentences so I don't know what your point is.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Translation:

Some teams can manage the salary cap - the Cowboys can’t.
Trade Dak to Pittsburgh

Save up picks to draft Archie Manning.

Is it possible that we extended Dak just for trade compensation? Dak gets paid without the risk of injury. We add the no trade clause, so Dak stays in control and has to approve the team of choice.

I found it interesting that Tomlin went out of his way to acknowledge Dak's performance after we beat them. Steelers have a ready to win now team in my opinion - minus a QB.

Jerry is saving money to be able to afford trading Dak.

The only thing that ruins my theory is Dak tearing down his house or is that that the cover story they need.