Jerry gives Maher vote of Confidence

Brax

Reaction score
Ya I dont get this is he saying the offense sucks?
I think you may have deciphered it with your ovaltine Decoder ring , Jerry says the O sucks, makes sense.
christmas-story3.jpg

Batman1980

Reaction score
You’re not one of those fans?

You didn’t think we were SB bound after 3-0 and the sky is falling now?

I thought we had a 7 game pre-season and I think the defense was over-rated. Currently wondering if this team is starting to give Jason the Wade Phillips treatment.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
If a genie showed up and offered me 3 wishes, they would be as follows:
1. world peace
2. 100 million dollars
3. Jerry finally learns to shut the bleep up when he should

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Moderator Edit - Full quote with news publication link:

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...-any-money-on-garrett-firing-talks-ol-kicker/

You know, we got spoiled around here. We had an outstanding kicker that, for a long, time, led the NFL. But the real world is that when that kicker lines up- really now, whether it’s on an extra point or certainly with a field goal attempt- you don’t know if that ball’s going to go through there or not. You’d like to think you do, but you don’t. So his performance so far is giving us, when we step up there, we don’t know if it’s going through or not. We really need to make our decisions based upon whether we think we can score a touchdown. I remember, very early on when I was first involved in the NFL and with the Cowboys, we didn’t want to spend anything, and we didn’t want to get all bent out of shape over a kicker, because we usually thought if it comes down to the kicker to win the game that we weren’t going to do it. So rather than rely on that, just get it in the end zone. Now, that sounds trite, but there’s a lot of mentality there.”

I may be misreading this, but I think Jerry loves the kid. :facepalm:
It’s the “Jones Culture”. If Jerry loves you, you don’t have to have success. Just look at the HC the Jones family keeps pretending is “special”. The Emperor has no clothes.

Batman1980

Reaction score
If a genie showed up and offered me 3 wishes, they would be as follows:
1. world peace
2. 100 million dollars
3. Jerry finally gives someone with actual football acumen all GM powers

Oh and I'm taking 99, you can have 1 million.

catiii

Reaction score
when I was first involved in the NFL and with the Cowboys, we didn’t want to spend anything, and we didn’t want to get all bent out of shape over a kicker, because we usually thought if it comes down to the kicker to win the game that we weren’t going to do it. - drunken plunger

That is one of the dumbest things he's ever said and it's obvious he still feels this way.
It's emotional. One would expect a REAL GM to be analytical not emotional. :huh:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Headline could have said, “Coach Jones drivels on again about nothing.”

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Titans released Santos after he missed 4 FGs in their 14-7 loss on Sunday. They replaced him with the guy who missed the game-winner for Chicago in last season's playoffs.

It appears the Reliable Kicker Store isn't open in October.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Titans released Santos after he missed 4 FGs in their 14-7 loss on Sunday. They replaced him with the guy who missed the game-winner for Chicago in last season's playoffs.

It appears the Reliable Kicker Store isn't open in October.
We wouldn’t have to cut Maher. But I still don’t understand why they wouldn’t at least bring a couple of kickers in to kick the tires. Apparently “Coach Jones” isn’t comfortable with that yet.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry Jones refers to the false security Dan Bailey provided before his regression. He also infers the team, at one time, had either the self-confidence or directive to score touchdowns instead of hoping for field goals.

It is definitely Jones voicing a lack of confidence self-observation in Maher. It is also Jones transparently suggesting the offense should start scoring touchdowns consistently and make Maher a minor luxury for the team.

Thats the cool thing about Jerrish. It can mean whatever you want it to mean. We could interpret it as you did OR it could be interpreted as we should start going for it on 4th down since we don't know where the ball is going when Maher kicks it. The whole calculus of what to do on 4th down changes when your FG kicker is a 50/50 proposition. Just ask Saban.

jnday

Reaction score
I have posted on this subject before and I took a lot of heat, but there is no reason why the team didn’t bring in several kickers to look at during the offseason. It looks like Maher was given the job and they refuse to consider upgrading the position. Maher has not had to compete for his job in any way against anybody. Maher is a CFL castoff, but I guess that is good enough for the Cowboys. I guess he is cheap and that is all that matters.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Well to be fair, Jerry literally doesnt know if the ball is going to go through or not after a few Johnny Walker Blues.....