Jerry going after a free agent?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Is it just me or did it sound like Jerry was hinting about going after a big-time free agent (or trading for one) after the season during the press conference?

From what I've seen, the closest to big-time free agents that I think the Cowboys *could* have interest in next season are:
  • Asante Samuel
  • Bernard Berrian
  • Michael Turner
  • Alan Faneca (though he will be 32?)

If the Cowboys went after Turner and was still able to pick up a Malcolm Jenkins, Justin King, or Kenny Phillips early and Malcolm Kelly late in the first round life would be sweet!

Turner is similar to Barber, but I would love to have those two pounding away on a defense. Both of them are extremely hard to bring down and to have them taking turns jackhammering away on a teams front seven with Romo lighting it up through the air. Wow, that would be fun to watch.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
nyc;1736812 said:
Is it just me or did it sound like Jerry was hinting about going after a big-time free agent (or trading for one) after the season during the press conference?

From what I've seen, the closest to big-time free agents that I think the Cowboys *could* have interest in next season are:
  • Asante Samuel
  • Bernard Berrian
  • Michael Turner
  • Alan Faneca (though he will be 32?)
If the Cowboys went after Turner and was still able to pick up a Malcolm Jenkins, Justin King, or Kenny Phillips early and Malcolm Kelly late in the first round life would be sweet!

Turner is similar to Barber, but I would love to have those two pounding away on a defense. Both of them are extremely hard to bring down and to have them taking turns jackhammering away on a teams front seven with Romo lighting it up through the air. Wow, that would be fun to watch.

although i get grief for it, i'm in the "sign turner" camp. if we go after a WR i'd like to see us be "serious" about it and not just slap the idea around. for WR fitzgerald or r. williams would be perfect and i'd give up a #1 w/o problem for it.

so, our #1 or even clevelands #1 for fitz. sign turner. our #1 for a CB if that's the best we have around at the time and let's keep the party train moving!

superpunk

Reaction score
I'm sure Turner would just jump at the chance to come here and back up/split time with Barber.

I'm sure Jerry's thinking WR. He didn't just invest the house in Romo to give him nothing to work with.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
iceberg;1736819 said:
although i get grief for it, i'm in the "sign turner" camp. if we go after a WR i'd like to see us be "serious" about it and not just slap the idea around. for WR fitzgerald or r. williams would be perfect and i'd give up a #1 w/o problem for it.

so, our #1 or even clevelands #1 for fitz. sign turner. our #1 for a CB if that's the best we have around at the time and let's keep the party train moving!

Well, first Fitzferald and Williams aren't free agents. I doubt the Lions are up for trading Williams and Fitzgerald signed a 6 year $60M deal in 2004 that takes him to 2010.

In other Larry Fitzgerald news: "Larry Fitzgerald is being hit with a paternity suit by a former Oakland Raiders cheerleader." :bang2:

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
superpunk;1736823 said:
I'm sure Turner would just jump at the chance to come here and back up/split time with Barber.

I'm sure Jerry's thinking WR. He didn't just invest the house in Romo to give him nothing to work with.

LOL, I'm glad that someone has sense.......What is this fascination with Turner? Why give up a 1st round pick for a 1 year wonder??

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
iceberg;1736821 said:
is samuel a UFA or RFA?

Unrestricted. He was franchised this season. I think New England agreed not to franchise him after this season. (or was that Lance Briggs and the Bears)

khiladi

Reaction score
nyc;1736826 said:
Well, first Fitzferald and Williams aren't free agents. I doubt the Lions are up for trading Williams and Fitzgerald signed a 6 year $60M deal in 2004 that takes him to 2010.

In other Larry Fitzgerald news: "Larry Fitzgerald is being hit with a paternity suit by a former Oakland Raiders cheerleader." :bang2:

Williams can hit the market following next year... detroit would probably jump at the oppurtunity, if they think Williams would want to leave... but that would Dallas with a guy who is headed into the last year of the contract, and there would be no guarantee for them...

Williams would be a phenomenoal addition to this offense, in my estimation, especially in an offense with a decent offensive line

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Hopefully not Berrian he he couldnt catch a cold this year.

Fitzgerald or Asante S would be nice.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
khiladi;1736834 said:
Williams can hit the market following next year... detroit would probably jump at the oppurtunity, if they think Williams would want to leave... but that would Dallas with a guy who is headed into the last year of the contract, and there would be no guarantee for them...

Williams would be a phenomenoal addition to this offense, in my estimation, especially in an offense with a decent offensive line

Ok, lets trade both #1s. One to Detriot for Roy Williams and the other to the Cardinals for Larry Fitzgerald. :laugh2:

khiladi

Reaction score
nyc;1736840 said:
Ok, lets trade both #1s. One to Detriot for Roy Williams and the other to the Cardinals for Larry Fitzgerald. :laugh2:

Hell, one of the teams is the Lions with that "stud" GM, Matt Millen... and we know how Arizon likes to kill their own selves with bone-headed moves...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
iceberg;1736819 said:
:pray:

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I would be shocked if he didn't take a run at Samuel, who at 26, has another five good years left and also happens to play the one position defensively, the Cowboys will need help in.

It would also allow them the freedom of taking the best possible player in the draft.

Makes too much sense.

They may go after a secondary receiver in FA, someone like Stokley or Bryant Johnson come to mind.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I can't see Jerry spending the big bucks it would take to sign Samuels with Newman's contract coming up. He'd be better off drafting a cb.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
nyc;1736826 said:

Seems like I've heard that Roy Williams could be had. They just invested a ton of money in Calvin Johnson, and Mike Farrell has been very productive and will get a raise. If the price is too high for them and he's planning on bolting anyway, they might be willing to take something for nothing.

The bigger question would be what would they put on the two Roy Williams's jerseys. :laugh2:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Oh_Canada;1736853 said:
I would be shocked if he didn't take a run at Samuel, who at 26, has another five good years left and also happens to play the one position defensively, the Cowboys will need help in.

It would also allow them the freedom of taking the best possible player in the draft.

Makes too much sense.

They may go after a secondary receiver in FA, someone like Stokley or Bryant Johnson come to mind.

Having Newman and Samuel at cornor would allow for some nasty blitzing combos. Move Henry to safety as he is much better at jumping routes when watching the QB tied with Roy Williams as the eigth man in the box and our defense would be something nasty.

dogberry

Reaction score
The other 31 teams need to get together and plan how to dismantle the Pats. If Dallas' share is to take Samuel, so be it. Though the smart thing
might be to con one of the other teams into overpaying for him.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1736854 said:
I can't see Jerry spending the big bucks it would take to sign Samuels with Newman's contract coming up. He'd be better off drafting a cb.

I tend to agree. Especially considering Samuel has already made it clear that it starts and ends with the all mighty buck when he threatened to hold out till the 10th start of the season and then came back because it was going to be to expensive.