Jerry going after a free agent?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
nyc;1736826 said:
Well, first Fitzferald and Williams aren't free agents. I doubt the Lions are up for trading Williams and Fitzgerald signed a 6 year $60M deal in 2004 that takes him to 2010.

In other Larry Fitzgerald news: "Larry Fitzgerald is being hit with a paternity suit by a former Oakland Raiders cheerleader." :bang2:

and? arizona is also going run 1st. this is why i said to offer maybe a 1st round pick for him - right? you know, trade?

sorry i didn't limit myself to the strict lines of the subject matter. please excuse me.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
superpunk;1736823 said:
I'm sure Turner would just jump at the chance to come here and back up/split time with Barber.

Two words on Turner.

Lamont Jordan

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
It could be that Jerry is liking the success the WR's of NE are having, and wants to bring in another toy for Romo. Not to mention the fact that the rookie WR's lately are taking so long to develop, Jerry may want to trade for one.....Let's face it, there are no stud WR's in this draft similar to that stud of a WR Calvin Johnson.....It would be nice to have Samuel, because Jerry will have a chance to take one away from those who ran up the score...Now, signing Asante Samuel would require the kind of money it took for the 49ers to sign Nate Clements.........hmmm, how would Newman feel about that?? How much is it going to take to make Newman happy?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Mavs Man;1736860 said:
Seems like I've heard that Roy Williams could be had. They just invested a ton of money in Calvin Johnson, and Mike Farrell has been very productive and will get a raise. If the price is too high for them and he's planning on bolting anyway, they might be willing to take something for nothing.

The bigger question would be what would they put on the two Roy Williams's jerseys. :laugh2:
The guy who played BJ Hunnicutt on M*A*S*H is playing for the Lions? He must be in his 50's.

Mike Furrey.

:D

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
Oh_Canada;1736853 said:
I would be shocked if he didn't take a run at Samuel, who at 26, has another five good years left and also happens to play the one position defensively, the Cowboys will need help in.

It would also allow them the freedom of taking the best possible player in the draft.

Makes too much sense.

They may go after a secondary receiver in FA, someone like Stokley or Bryant Johnson come to mind.

I would toss my cookies everyday either one of these spares are in a Cowboys' uniform....

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
nyc;1736865 said:
I tend to agree. Especially considering Samuel has already made it clear that it starts and ends with the all mighty buck when he threatened to hold out till the 10th start of the season and then came back because it was going to be to expensive.

You make the guy sound greedy. He earned a pay raise and deserved job security after the way the Patriots have treated guys in the past. It's not worse than what Larry Johnson did.

I doubt we'll get him, you know how many teams in this league need cornerbacks and have more cap space than we do without another good CB almost up on his contract.

I think Turner is the guy, and we draft a CB and WR.

I say bring in Berrian too, he can play in the slot.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
So does it matter if Jerry even implied that he was going after a big FA name or not?

All I heard him say was something to the effect that he'd learned that it didn't matter if you went after big FAs if you didn't have a QB in place. That's just saying that QB is the most important position on the field and that you're not going far without one. But I think we all knew that. Not sure that now means that he's going after someone.

But anyway... I like Turner. Some will point to his lack of numbers, but he looks like a player when I see him.

Other than that, haven't we learned from the Skins that big-name FAs don't usually work? Just draft well and keep the draft picks you hit on, and you'll be fine.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
dcowboysfan76;1736827 said:
LOL, I'm glad that someone has sense.......What is this fascination with Turner? Why give up a 1st round pick for a 1 year wonder??

Turner will be an URFA after this year, meaning we can sign him without having to give up any draft picks.

So, some people want to fill Julius Jones' RB spot with a more talented player and still have the two back rotation... all the while keeping all our draft picks to spend on other positions than RB.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1736939 said:
So does it matter if Jerry even implied that he was going after a big FA name or not?

All I heard him say was something to the effect that he'd learned that it didn't matter if you went after big FAs if you didn't have a QB in place. That's just saying that QB is the most important position on the field and that you're not going far without one. But I think we all knew that. Not sure that now means that he's going after someone.

But anyway... I like Turner. Some will point to his lack of numbers, but he looks like a player when I see him.

Other than that, haven't we learned from the Skins that big-name FAs don't usually work? Just draft well and keep the draft picks you hit on, and you'll be fine.

I don't entirely agree. You can't build a team through free agency, but you can put a team over the top in free agency.

Dallas has a few of their own to take care of this offseason, but they'll have money to spend too.

NE spent some money this year and it's working out OK for them. Maybe Jerry makes a play for Moss after all these years.....:D

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I'm not saying to never go after free agents, but to avoid the huge-name, huge-dollar ones. Guys like Moss and Welker were great pickups, but they didn't break the bank, either. (I know Moss was a trade, but it's the same principle. He's not getting paid a lot.) Thomas hasn't been that great for the contract he got, has he?

A big-dollar FA can be worth it, but IMO that's a pretty rare case. It's hard to find young guys with that kind of talent who also have the right attitude that their own team doesn't want to keep.

I dunno, everyone says we have plenty of money, but if we extend Newman and Barber and Crayton, we won't have *that* much, will we? Relatively speaking, of course. We're rapidly getting to the point of the Eagles and Pats where we will have to let some good players leave.

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
i would love to sign asante, he was incredible against the skins. He was jumping routes perfectly.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1736984 said:
I'm not saying to never go after free agents, but to avoid the huge-name, huge-dollar ones. Guys like Moss and Welker were great pickups, but they didn't break the bank, either. (I know Moss was a trade, but it's the same principle. He's not getting paid a lot.) Thomas hasn't been that great for the contract he got, has he?

A big-dollar FA can be worth it, but IMO that's a pretty rare case. It's hard to find young guys with that kind of talent who also have the right attitude that their own team doesn't want to keep.

I dunno, everyone says we have plenty of money, but if we extend Newman and Barber and Crayton, we won't have *that* much, will we? Relatively speaking, of course. We're rapidly getting to the point of the Eagles and Pats where we will have to let some good players leave.

We also have to re-sign Ratliff and Canty this offseason and Ware within 2-3 years. It is going to be tough but i think JJ will get it done. Spears and Jones will probably be let go. I don't see many if any free agents. We need to sign our own guys and get help through the draft. Two 1st are going to help alot this year.

khiladi

Reaction score
koolaid;1737003 said:
i would love to sign asante, he was incredible against the skins. He was jumping routes perfectly.

Against Jason Campbell I might add...

Wood

Reaction score
Dallas and New England seemed to be connected a bit (probably from Parcells and Belicheck connection). So I see Jerry making a statement toward NE that Dallas will not stand pat...and will agreesively make Dallas better and also weaken NE. Getting Samuel would make a huge statement.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
i just dont see what the big value is in going after Turner? he hasnt ever been a starter at RB. i just cant see the reason to spend big bucks for him, i can see the need to bring in a bigtime WR or CB free agent, makes much more sense.

superpunk

Reaction score
abersonc;1737181 said:
You seriously need a full time job.

Done and done.

I've got a mind like a steel trap, and advanced search is great.