News: Jerry has no regrets with Dak contract

fivetwos

Reaction score
Here is the thing. You can look at Dak's contract 3 different ways. Most teams try to sign the rookies they want to keep after their 3rd year. However, Dallas had Dak play on a very cheap rookie contract in his 4th year that only paid $2.0 million. We saved a lot of cap dollars at that time by not doing his contract early. Also, he played on the franchise tag for $31.4 million in his 5th year. He signed the 4 year $40 million contract in his 6th year. So here is how it breaks down:

The Dak Guy: After the 3rd year we got Dak for 6 years at $193.4 million or $32.2 million a year
The Content Guy: After the 4th year we got Dak for 5 years at $191.4 million or $38.3 million a year
The Dak Hater Guy: After the 5th year we got Dak for 4 years at $160.0 million or $40.0 million a year

Timing is everything in negotiations in the NFL. The longer you wait to sign the player the more the price will increase because the salary cap continues to go up. Jerry waited and it cost him more on the back end. However, he still got Dak at $2.0 million in his 4th year and $31.4 million in his 5th year when Dak should have already been on a new contract paying him more money.
The price was rising considerably at the very time the deal was being negotiated.

First, they didn't see that coming and it cost them about 8-10 million a year by trying to get him to sign cheap.

This after backing themselves into a corner both publicly with the "Daks our guy and we will sign him" crap, along with not having anything close to a plan B in place.

The agent played it correctly.

Mr Billion dollar business deal and son for some reason think it's a great idea to tip your hand publicly while trying to get a discount.

Still....they think no one could possibly do better.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
LOL. More ridiculous takes from you.

Dak isnt the reason this team isnt signing anyone in FA. Its their entire philosophy on this team. The last big free agent they brought in was Brandon Carr. Was Dak playing for the Cowboys then and getting paid? No. He wasnt. Stop acting like its Dak. Its Zeke, its the horrible Jaylon Smith contract, I can go on. Dak is what. The 7th highest paid QB in the league now? How is it that the Rams can build a roster while paying Stafford 45 million?

Look to the owners box and the FO.
Yep the problem is our front office is run by GM
Wannabes.
Until we get a real GM, we are at a serious competitive disadvantage.

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
The only good thing dak is for is shooting out a cannon, and I don't see a cannon.

You should invite him to the circus the next time it's in town....
problem solve

R.b2997f2367e3702d6114ddc241ee63a5

jujoboys

Reaction score
Jerry should be bashed for not signing him sooner and cheaper.....smh

What people are not considering is that if we s
Could Carr's agent use Mahomes as an excuse for his deal???
Planet Earth calling jujoboys......

No, but Dak's agent could use Mahomes' deal to justify the signing of Dak to $40 million. Dak's agent would just go in and say Mahomes got $45 million a year. We know Dak is not at that level so we are asking $40 million a year. It is how negotiating works in the NFL. The agent looks at the largest contract and tries to determine the value of his client based off that contract. Simple negotiating tactic. Please try and keep up. No way Dak was taking $35 million a year when Mahomes was getting $45 million a year..

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
And he will continue to drop as after setting the market (Undeservedly) once Murray, Jackson. Herbert Burrows' new contract comes around.
Every agent uses Dak as a stepping stone excuse................ guaranteed!!!!!

I noticed in your posts quite a bit of Dak hate. My counter to your thoughts is that very little of this is actually Dak's doing.

There are some other people who hold the cards. Who chose not to resign him earlier at a lower price? Who chose to apply the franchise tag? Who ultimately signed the bottom right hand corner of his contract?

Do you personally feel the Jones had less information than Dak's agent about where the marketplace was going within 12 months from the signing date?

Do you think everyone in the NFL, owners, agents, media, pundits and fans could not see the trend of where salaries were going coming out of COVID?

At the end of the day who is the common denominator on all the contracts fans are *****ing about? Dlaw's contract? Zeke's contract? Amari's contract? I don't think we can lay all this blame on Dak nor his agent.

Since parity came in and the relaxation of free agency mobility this is exactly where the marketplace was going. It is a free marketplace, and where a player get slotted for in terms of worth is based prior market FLOOR, available resources at time of negotiation, personnel thesis of the negotiating team and the mentality of the owner.

And if you think any of these above considerations are based on a purely rational approach I believe you will be always disappointed.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Mahomes is on a different level. I dont think his deal really relates to the rest of the league. Look at the length and amount of his deal.

That is why Mahomes got $45 million a year at the time. I still guarantee that Dak's agent used that contract in negotiating. Mahomes contract increased the value of QB contracts and Dak's agent rode the wave of that momentum. The length of the Mahomes deal is misleading. KC could cut him after the 2024 season and only have $4.3 million in dead money.

RS12

Reaction score
If I was worth around 10 billion I probably wouldn't have many regrets either.

slick325

Reaction score
I wonder if the Jones boys regret the length of the deal. Giving in to Todd France on what is virtually a 3yr deal with a no tag and no trade clause could become regretful at the end of the 2023 season. Yes, Dak will be under contract for 2024, but, will the Jones boys want to wait until then to attempt re-sign him? Doubtful, they will likely have to begin negotiating at the end of this season in hopes of having a deal done before the 2024 season. What will those numbers look like? Will that be regretful?

France and Prescott should be commended for getting another bite at the apple this early. Prescott can conceivably see two more big money short term deals from Dallas. Barring injury or some other unforeseeable thing occurring.

Last edited:

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I noticed in your posts quite a bit of Dak hate. My counter to your thoughts is that very little of this is actually Dak's doing.

There are some other people who hold the cards. Who chose not to resign him earlier at a lower price? Who chose to apply the franchise tag? Who ultimately signed the bottom right hand corner of his contract?

Do you personally feel the Jones had less information than Dak's agent about where the marketplace was going within 12 months from the signing date?

Do you think everyone in the NFL, owners, agents, media, pundits and fans could not see the trend of where salaries were going coming out of COVID?

At the end of the day who is the common denominator on all the contracts fans are *****ing about? Dlaw's contract? Zeke's contract? Amari's contract? I don't think we can lay all this blame on Dak nor his agent.

Since parity came in and the relaxation of free agency mobility this is exactly where the marketplace was going. It is a free marketplace, and where a player get slotted for in terms of worth is based prior market FLOOR, available resources at time of negotiation, personnel thesis of the negotiating team and the mentality of the owner.

And if you think any of these above considerations are based on a purely rational approach I believe you will be always disappointed.

I'm going to take a HATE nap and get back to you soonest.:muttley:
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/are...he-quarterback-for-the-dallas-cowboys.492042/

Might wanna check that poll out as it seems there's a lot of Dak hate here!!!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Outstanding post !
Jerry is the common denominator on all these horrid contracts.
Until Jerry steps aside and hires a real GM ( not you Stephen )
This franchise is going to be mired in mediaocraty.
There is a reason this team has not been to a NFCC game in 27 years.
His name is Jerry Jones.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
80% of our members polled say they are not happy with Dak as their QB.
Not the same bunch but a boat-load out there!!
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/are...he-quarterback-for-the-dallas-cowboys.492042/
The number is probably higher than that now seeing how much the offense has gotten worse this offseason.

If this same poll is done after next season I'd say it will be closer to 90% because Dak is going to regress without Cooper, Collins, and Wilson not being replaced with equal or better talent.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
LOL. More ridiculous takes from you.

Dak isnt the reason this team isnt signing anyone in FA. Its their entire philosophy on this team. The last big free agent they brought in was Brandon Carr. Was Dak playing for the Cowboys then and getting paid? No. He wasnt. Stop acting like its Dak. Its Zeke, its the horrible Jaylon Smith contract, I can go on. Dak is what. The 7th highest paid QB in the league now? How is it that the Rams can build a roster while paying Stafford 45 million?

Look to the owners box and the FO.

lol after years of constantly being right and telling you guys the future of what these moves will do you’re still this ignorant? Wow.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I'm sure he has no regrets for driving this once great franchise straight into the mother Earth
No. It's beyond ridiculous at this point.

It's the same bunch complaining as usual about Dak and Jerry. Day after day after day.
Fans are fed up with Jerry.
What else are they supposed to do ?
Sit there and take it?
It makes me feel better to vent and as this is an opinion forum seems within the scope.