Twitter: Jerry: I'm surprised and disappointed. I thought this was one of our best teams

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My conclusion is that Jerry thinks he has assembled good talent because he actually has assembled good talent. But then that good talent also thinks they have a team full of good talent, and they play with a sense of entitlement rather than hunger. So the belief in the talent level is itself keeping the talent from reaching their potential.

So you're saying we're actually too talented?

You might be on to something.

kskboys

Reaction score
My conclusion is that Jerry thinks he has assembled good talent because he actually has assembled good talent. But then that good talent also thinks they have a team full of good talent, and they play with a sense of entitlement rather than hunger. So the belief in the talent level is itself keeping the talent from reaching their potential.
W/ gaping holes.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I admit. I ate the cheese. I thought this offense was going to be dynamic, thought MM was going to turn this offense into the Packers' offense, thought this defense would be much better and thought we'd at least get to the playoffs.

No more cheese for me. I'm cheesed out.

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
“ Dumbfounded “ is a perfect word to describe 25 years of Jerry being a GM.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think most fans thought our roster before the season was pretty decent, but we never got to see what it could have done
That's the shame of it. When people see super bowl predictions and top 10 power rankings they believe we will have a good season.

Long wait until next September. Try it all over again. With some tinkering the Cowboy should be a much improved team.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
CATCH17 said:
The cherry on top is that after being one of the worst teams in football the majority of the year we go on to screw up our top 3 draft pick at the end of this horrible season.
If not for the Jets we would be the most stupid team in the NFL.
The Bengals played hard and won last night. That makes them pretty stupid too right?
Actually, the Bears must realize that they have no chance of winning the SB this year. They are just not good enough. That was pretty stupid of them to win yesterday.
All these dumb teams are hurting their draft picks.

Well, while you worry about the Bengals and the Bears, some of us are concerned about the Cowboys. We WERE set for a good draft position.

Hardline

Reaction score
Imagine bragging about "likes" like a middle schooler.

Relative to the talent in the rest of the league, this was one of the best teams he's ever had. You can't compare them to the 90s teams, because of the salary cap. The defense was built to play with a lead and with a strong offense - see the Bengals and 9ers games. If healthy, this roster was the best in the NFC.
Lol

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
tenor.png

ghst187

Reaction score
It happened a lot with Romo teams too. He got hurt and season was done. Sometimes it went haywire even without him getting hurt. Judging by some of the contracts Jerry has handed out, he clearly isn’t a good judge of talent.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Maybe you did, but count me as one who thought the defense wasn't anywhere close to championship caliber. Folks got excited about a couple of overpaid has-beens and we lost our best cover corner.

Had enough offense to win some games, maybe win the East, but the defense would've been their downfall in the postseason (again).
:hammer::hammer::hammer:

visionary

Reaction score

you might want to tell the Chiefs players. They don’t seem to know they’re ‘talented’
:muttley::muttley:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I think many fans were surprised too. Offensive personnel looked like perhaps the best in the league. The D with McCoy, Poe, Smith, and Griffen added looked much improved at least along the line.

We all underestimated how bad a Nolan run d would be in a shortened offseason. I thought we may see some blown coverages the first quarter or so of the season but would then make adjustments.

jerry thought replacing Jason would be simple.

Mistake.

hate on Jason, but he was good at keeping things level.

the grass isn’t always greener, as they say.

It’s been a mistake that will take time to clean up.

a lot of the coaches need replacing, especially the “buddies” that big Mike talked Jerry into hiring.

jerrys pride will save Big Mikes job this year.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Most of us thought he was right during the offseason.
I agree, a healthy OL, a healthy Dak, a DL that looked good on paper, weapons galore on offense, Garrett and Co. finally gone, this team looked ready to win. Jerry and the fans were not the only ones who got it wrong, NFL experts across the board also had this team ranked very high going into the season.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
jerry thought replacing Jason would be simple.

Mistake.

hate on Jason, but he was good at keeping things level.

the grass isn’t always greener, as they say.

It’s been a mistake that will take time to clean up.

a lot of the coaches need replacing, especially the “buddies” that big Mike talked Jerry into hiring.

jerrys pride will save Big Mikes job this year.

If you just like winning most regular season games most years, Jason was your guy. I can understand that, don't like watching loss after loss during the season, that's not much fun. Myself I want championships, and Jason had 10 years, far too long, to get at least one, but he didn't. Unquestionably time to move on from Jason.

But keeping Mike has little to do with Jerry's pride, at least for the next year or two. A new head coach, new defensive coordinator, little off season to prepare the new schemes, key player injuries and a still-green offensive coordinator add up to what you get, a poor season. To get rid of a head coach after one year with all the problems is a knee-jerk reaction, fueled more by the frustration built up over the last 26 years than an evaluation of Mike McCarthy.

Another year of no SB win will no doubt add fuel to the fire, and after two years, assuming a full off season, the return of Smith and Collins on the o-line, and either a new DC or adjustments by the defensive coaches and defensive players, if results are no or only marginally better then there's more reason to dismiss McCarthy.

Have to keep this in mind - if you look at the past decades, there's always one or two teams that dominate for a while - Browns and Lions in the 50's,Packers in the 60's, Steelers and Cowboys in the 70's, 49ers in the 80's, Cowboys again in the 90's, and the Patriots in the 2000's-2020's. By hook or crook or luck those teams won titles year in and year out. All the rest were in the "wait until next year" category. Some, like Dallas, "broke through" and became the dominant team. Most did not, they continued to be "not ready for prime time" teams.

We may very well be seeing this decade dominated by the Chiefs, though before the mid-90's there was no cap, it's harder to dominate year in and year out. Dallas may not be able to break though the Chiefs, but maybe nobody else can, either.

Point is you have to somewhat ignore teams like the Chiefs, duplicating them isn't easy to do, there's chemistry involved, just getting similar players and similar coaches, running similar schemes doesn't guarantee success. Titans are sort of following the 90's Cowboys philosophy - run the ball with very good running back, add some passing attack pieces and a good defense. Will that result in a 3 SB in 4 year win scenario? We'll see. But pick a course of action and stick with it, at least for a few years, but don't be a slave to it. Know when to make major changes....

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
A huge reason why Jerry is "disappointed" is that when players see how poorly their team is managed, it hurts morale! :angry:

Last edited: