we got 2

we needed to improve the depth at CB and get younger and more talented there

we took Jenkins, giving up very little to move up to select him

we didn't reach, or stray from the board, that's smart thinking to me
I totally agree!

DUKDWNBCC

Reaction score
sago1;2054988 said:
Doubt Jerry made the 2nd round pick all his own. Wade & Jason Garrett might have really wanted this TE instead of a WR in the 2nd round. Just doesn't make sense to me. Why trade Fasano who at least familiar with our offense for another TE who now must come in & learn the whole system. Bennet's got real good size (just like Witten) but his speed doesn't appear to be that great. Don't understand this pick at all; not happy with it.

I'm guessing he's the GREATEST Pass/RUN blocking TE EVER!
Another spin on this Draft is, with Roy's (coverage problems, not wrapping up on tackles anymore, a defensive violation made for the horse collar TACKLES that he wont stop doing) even in the playoffs. and with Hamlin not signed long-term. Do you think it would have been an Insane idea to take Jenkins round 1-Pick 22 (22) (From Browns), take S Kenny Phillips
with the second pick, and then take either a WR (which we really need) or a BACKUP rb next? or this a really bad idea, cause Roy and Hamlin are gonna be around for a while?

wileedog

Reaction score
theogt;2055412 said:
Haha. I didn't think this thread went through because the server was busy. Left, had a few drinks. Came back. Funny.

My original point was that basically giving Fasano away and drafting a TE in the 2nd was moronic.

It was. There's no defense for it.

Unless Bennett is a serious upgrade to Fasano, which he may very well be.

This is also a complete reach on my part.

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
Agreed...a TE in the second round???
You have a pro bowl TE,traded a former 2nd rounder(worthless POS) away,for a fourth rounder,and burn another 2nd pick on a TE?????

Hey Jerry,how about a nice shining bright red bridge on the west coast?
MORON!!!!!

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
BigDFan5;2055824 said:
Shortly after it drops you off?

Nope...while short buses are reserved here for special populations,they are the standard in LinDuh,TX.
Enjoy the ride,wear your helmet,and remember to keep your arms and other limbs inside the frame of the bus.
My tax money is supporting your lifestyle.

notherbob

Reaction score
I have no quarrel with the idea that Jerry Jones is a moron and have said so for years but he did a good job of drafting today and I won't criticize him for it. I think the TE in the second round was a BPA move - what if Witten gets injured?

I still think he's a moron, though, but that's just me and I can be jealous if I want to.

Derinyar

Reaction score
For everyone wanting a major upgrade today there was one way to do it. You would have had to probably put in 22, 28 and the 2nd round pick and probably something else to go up and get McFadden. Other than that name one other person who was likely to start for us that got drafted anywhere today.

No WR was likely to start for us. No OL was likely to start for us, well maybe there would have been a spot to take over for Koiser. No QB obviously. The DL players who went early wouldn't have really been that good for us. I doubt a LB would have replaced any one. As much of a pounding as he takes here Roy wouldn't have been replaced by Kenny Phillips or another saftey.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Eskimo;2054995 said:
We will go nowhere with this strategy of overpaying ageing starters and drafting backups. This is the mid-90s all over again as Jerry returns to his roots without a strong football guy to reign him in.

That's what it's looking like to me.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I have read every post in this thread. The sum total of clueless both astounds me and really makes me want to call the Guiness people and report this.

While I was ticked at passing on mendenhall, I also see the wisdom in taking Jones. Just watching the highlight reel on YouTube has got me pumped.

Jenkins will be a good defensive back for this team. I looked at about a dozen sites that rank players and the consensus is he was about the third best corner in this draft.

Too many people are linking the Fasano/Adoyele trade and trying to extrapolate it with the Bennett pick.

Norm and company were talking about the trade today and Parcells made the call and Jerry got him to up the pick to a fourth by adding Adoyele.

How many here made comments about Adoyele not having a spot here when Zach came on board?

But the real problem with most who find this draft day lacking is no WR.

So do any of you geniuses know how good Stanback will be?

That might be pretty critical if you are making a sweeping statement on how well Jerry did today.

Or what can we expect from Glenn?

That may have a say in this as well.

So the defensive backfield of Henry, Newman, Jenkins, Jones, Hamlin and Williams doesn't make you feel just a wee bit better than last year?

Who knows how this will turn out, but I think getting the 15th or 16th best player in this draft at 25 is outstanding.

The 21st best player at 22 and the 46th best player at 61 is another coup.

But then name brands are all that matters to some people.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I have come to the conclusion that Jerrah decided that shoulder injury to Fasano was going to be a problem and decided to dump him. That is the only justification for picking Bennett. Obviously they do NOT have confidence in Curtis, despite bleatings by some when Fasano was traded.

burmafrd

Reaction score
No TE other then Witten is really going to get a lot of catches. That is an absolute. So whoever we put in for the second TE is not going to produce much. In drafting supporting players and backups you do not use your SECOND ROUND PICK.

Derinyar

Reaction score
burmafrd;2056498 said:
I have come to the conclusion that Jerrah decided that shoulder injury to Fasano was going to be a problem and decided to dump him. That is the only justification for picking Bennett. Obviously they do NOT have confidence in Curtis, despite bleatings by some when Fasano was traded.

No the shoulder injury would be the justification, beyond ineffectiveness, for trading Fassano.

The justification for taking Bennett is that he likely was the best player left on our board by a decent margin.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
burmafrd;2056498 said:

During the draft Hitzges and Spags were talking about how the trade went down. Jones and company felt Curtis would displace Fasano as the back-up.

Parcells called and they made a deal. Jones included Adoyele and Parcells moved the pick up a round.

But what really makes no sense is your comment about drafting back-ups in the second round.

So, with the most probowlers on one team ever since the merger of the NFL and the AFL, exactly what do you do with your second round picks? Dump starters so you can say you didn't draft back-ups with them?

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Herein lies the problem:

Prior to the draft, media analysts parrot the same 20 to 25 player names repeatedly. Such repitition can become problematic for fans who consider themselves experts due to their habitual and rigorous watching of NFL games on TV.

This type of fan often becomes enamored of certain players based on his own brand of "scouting," which normally involves watching and rewatching the same 2 to 3 minutes of stock highlight footage replayed ad nauseum by ESPN and NFLN.

Once the fan has completed his "scouting" report, he then provides a list of acceptable draft picks for his team; if his team fails to select one of these picks when given the opportunity, the fan laments the idiocy of team ownership and decrees the draft a failure.

That's my experience, anyway. ;)