Jerry: It's crazy to think about drafting a QB high

ultron

Reaction score
I know they wouldn’t draft a QB but why would you say that? You want other teams to have doubt and bluff them into thinking there’s a 50/50 chance you’ll draft Lawrence or Fields if they’re on the board so you can trade the pick for the most possible picks.

Dak is without question a top 5-10 QB in this league, no chance I’d take Lawrence or Fields over him. Both are vastly overrated and we have major needs in other spots.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Here’s a list of the qbs taken in the top 10 of the draft for last 10 yrs

’20 Burrow-1, Tagovailoa-5, Hebert-6

’19 Murray-1, Jones-6

’18 Mayfield-1, Darnold-3, Allen-7, Rosen-10

’17 Trubisky-2, Mahomes-10

’16 Goff-1, Wentz-2, Apple-10

’15 Winston-1, Mariota-2

’14 Bortles-3

’13 none *EJ Manuel -16

’12 Luck-1, Griffin-2, Tennehill-8

’11 Newton-1, Locker-8, Gabbert-10

’10 Bradford-1

In 10 years 24 qbs have been selected top 10 and only 1 (Mahomes) is the homerun.

Do you think that given one shot Jerra and Stevie can hit the bullseye? :laugh:
They already hit the bullseye with dak.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Again, why is he announcing this instead of using it as leverage against Dak and against other teams to possibly force them to trade up? This old man will never ever see a super bowl again in his life, and I for one wouldn't be mad. He's gonna go down with out one cause of his own stubbornness.
Great point. And the only answer is always. Jethro wearing both hats as owner and GM is a conflict of interest for Cowboys Football.

SackMaster

Reaction score
with qb's coming out of college, it's about perception. aikman was perceived as a franchise qb. so was walsh, but he turned out not to be. but we traded him and got exceptional value for the guy. your point is well taken as to already having a young top 10 nfl qb already running things. off the top of my head, i can't think of any. but if they're top 10, odds are their team isn't in position to be choosing high in the draft.
Understandable.

But our Top-10 QB will end up missing almost 3/4 of the season. If our Top-10 QB was playing right now, the chances of the Cowboys having a Top-10 pick would be pretty slim. Especially with the way the defense has been relatively better (not good, just better) the past two games.

I don't care who the QB is, it is hard to win when the defense is DEAD LAST in the league in rush D. Even after a REALLY respectable showing against Pittsburgh, they have a 137 yard "lead" in most rushing yards given up this year, and are 3rd worst in the league at 5.0 ypc (the worst is 5.2 ypc).

You can take some solace in knowing they are only T-6th worst in the NFL in giving up the most rushing TDs. Unfortunately that is paired with the 2nd most passing TDs given up this year too.

So ya, while I agree a Top-10 QB would not lead to an opportunity to draft so high, this is one of those strange situations where it looks like it may just happen.
:thumbup:

khiladi

Reaction score
Dak-stans blaming Jerry for all the Dak losses, while telling us how great he is, for understanding what great QB play is all about. That’s the very definition of irony.

Jerry proved himself inept the moment he agreed to bench an actual franchise QB, for Dak to “lead” a SB-ready roster and wasted five years in the process, so they got to rebuild again.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Depends on if he means it. If this is just stupid talk, fine. However, if he's serious that he wouldn't even consider it, that's dumber'n dog poop. Everything should be considered by the GM.
you fans are insane with your NEEDS and superiorly complex acting as if Jones's should actually tell you what you wan to hear..

hes not going to answer this in pubic in way that could hurt negotiation with Dak , it matters. Hes simply reassuring Dak to heal up and not worry until the time comes.

that does NOT mean hes not considering a QB in this draft..i also think its bit crazy to take one at 2 or 3 really whats the guarantee again? maybe if we have the #1 pick sure Lawerence is worth the risk but all else im trading down, and still can get Trask or someone like him mid first round..insurance etc we can sign dak either LT or FT again and have a player inthe wings or trade dak and get this guy read..they just are not telling YOU what they are planning..

8 game left is far too early to even think about this..

Jerry or SJ will not give away their innermost thoughts when tit can hurt a players feeling in a sensitive contract negotiation..

you needing to be appeased is just cute..lmao..

MM and all of the FO will sit down,

AFTER THE SEAOSN OVER AND THEY ACTUALLY KNOW THEIR DRAFT PICKS AND HOW DAK TALKS ARE GOING..UNTIL THEN FANS AN MEDIA KEEP STICKING MICS IN THEIR FACES THEY WILL ANSWEER THIS WAY ALL THE WAY UNTIL THE END OF DRAFT DAY..

IF YOU DONT KNOW THIS ALL FO YOU ARE CLUELESS WE JUST DISCUSSED THIS IN STEPHEN QUOTE AND HERE WE ARE SAME FANS WITH THE USUAL RESPONSES..

THEY ARE 100% OPEN TO ALL OPTIONS AT THIS POINT BUT WONT SAY IT..

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Romo gets hurt in a meaningless preseason game and is completely forgotten by the fans, coaches, and front office after the following preseason game.
We all remember it. We all did it.
Fans: Sucks you got hurt, Romo. Where can I buy my Dak jersey?

Everyone wants the team to win.

Draft Lawrence or Fields and Dak will be an afterthought if the team wins.

I took Jerry's comment to be now is not the time to talk about drafting a QB. Dak is our QB. yada yada yada. Dak is our QB, until he isn't and then someone else will be our QB.

We fans are pretty much all the same.

We all know the true answer: Need to wait and see how Dak's leg is, how much Dak wants, who is available when the Cowboys draft, and who is available in free agency. The decision will come down to these 4 unknowns which we will not know until March.

Proof

Reaction score
Yeah, Jerry...it's "crazy" to speak about the future of a team when it is 2-7, and has a starting QB who recently suffered a potentially career-altering injury. It's "crazy"...nothing to see here...we love our base, we love our guys, we have our men.

all indications are that Dak will recover fine and he’s clearly their guy. Much smarter to invest in the D

kskboys

Reaction score
Here’s a list of the qbs taken in the top 10 of the draft for last 10 yrs

’20 Burrow-1, Tagovailoa-5, Hebert-6

’19 Murray-1, Jones-6

’18 Mayfield-1, Darnold-3, Allen-7, Rosen-10

’17 Trubisky-2, Mahomes-10

’16 Goff-1, Wentz-2, Apple-10

’15 Winston-1, Mariota-2

’14 Bortles-3

’13 none *EJ Manuel -16

’12 Luck-1, Griffin-2, Tennehill-8

’11 Newton-1, Locker-8, Gabbert-10

’10 Bradford-1

In 10 years 24 qbs have been selected top 10 and only 1 (Mahomes) is the homerun.

Do you think that given one shot Jerra and Stevie can hit the bullseye? :laugh:
Luck was a HR +. Ruined by crapp mgmt.

Burrow is looking like a HR, as is Herbort. Tannehill is looking decent. Solid double.

Tag has had one good start, one soso start. Too soon to tell.

kskboys

Reaction score
I know they wouldn’t draft a QB but why would you say that? You want other teams to have doubt and bluff them into thinking there’s a 50/50 chance you’ll draft Lawrence or Fields if they’re on the board so you can trade the pick for the most possible picks.

Dak is without question a top 5-10 QB in this league, no chance I’d take Lawrence or Fields over him. Both are vastly overrated and we have major needs in other spots.
Exactly how is Lawrence overrated? And by whom?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Romo gets hurt in a meaningless preseason game and is completely forgotten by the fans, coaches, and front office after the following preseason game.
We all remember it. We all did it.
Fans: Sucks you got hurt, Romo. Where can I buy my Dak jersey?

Everyone wants the team to win.

Draft Lawrence or Fields and Dak will be an afterthought if the team wins.

I took Jerry's comment to be now is not the time to talk about drafting a QB. Dak is our QB. yada yada yada. Dak is our QB, until he isn't and then someone else will be our QB.

We fans are pretty much all the same.

We all know the true answer: Need to wait and see how Dak's leg is, how much Dak wants, who is available when the Cowboys draft, and who is available in free agency. The decision will come down to these 4 unknowns which we will not know until March.
:hammer:

kskboys

Reaction score
you fans are insane with your NEEDS and superiorly complex acting as if Jones's should actually tell you what you wan to hear..

hes not going to answer this in pubic in way that could hurt negotiation with Dak , it matters. Hes simply reassuring Dak to heal up and not worry until the time comes.

that does NOT mean hes not considering a QB in this draft..i also think its bit crazy to take one at 2 or 3 really whats the guarantee again? maybe if we have the #1 pick sure Lawerence is worth the risk but all else im trading down, and still can get Trask or someone like him mid first round..insurance etc we can sign dak either LT or FT again and have a player inthe wings or trade dak and get this guy read..they just are not telling YOU what they are planning..

8 game left is far too early to even think about this..

Jerry or SJ will not give away their innermost thoughts when tit can hurt a players feeling in a sensitive contract negotiation..

you needing to be appeased is just cute..lmao..

MM and all of the FO will sit down,

AFTER THE SEAOSN OVER AND THEY ACTUALLY KNOW THEIR DRAFT PICKS AND HOW DAK TALKS ARE GOING..UNTIL THEN FANS AN MEDIA KEEP STICKING MICS IN THEIR FACES THEY WILL ANSWEER THIS WAY ALL THE WAY UNTIL THE END OF DRAFT DAY..

IF YOU DONT KNOW THIS ALL FO YOU ARE CLUELESS WE JUST DISCUSSED THIS IN STEPHEN QUOTE AND HERE WE ARE SAME FANS WITH THE USUAL RESPONSES..

THEY ARE 100% OPEN TO ALL OPTIONS AT THIS POINT BUT WONT SAY IT..
Do you even read posts you respond to?

I doubt it, too busy throwing 3rd grade insults and acting childish. Grow up.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Luck was a HR +. Ruined by crapp mgmt.

Burrow is looking like a HR, as is Herbort. Tannehill is looking decent. Solid double.

Tag has had one good start, one soso start. Too soon to tell.
his points vaid even if you want to add the TBD in this years draft and Murray that 4(FOUR) out of 24

not given any are better then dak and trading down some and get far more players in this draft might be better. I say go grab a Trask or the like further down in the first if you trade down..you still get top defenders and a possible QB of the future..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Do you even read posts you respond to?

I doubt it, too busy throwing 3rd grade insults and acting childish. Grow up.
yes i respond to that post plus add my 2 cents on the OP..and?

its valid response fans are like a needy untrusting partner that hangs on every word and isnt happy with anything..its insane the responses to FO or coaches statements as if they are 100% true..the responses are as if they are..

phildadon86

Reaction score
Jerry would go down as a legendary idiot if he passes on Fields.

Lets say Dak and his agent demand a Mahomes like deal..They would be foolish not to use having a top-5 pick as leverage.

Dak better accept a team friendly deal after coming off a major injury, or he can be traded to the Colts for a first rounder.

A top-5 pick in each round is NOT enough to fix this defense. Stop with this crazy talk.

We need at least 5 new starters.
Yeah and a top 5 pick can get us that. Trade down in round 1. Take the top CB or Parsons. Grab Leatherwood later in the first. Grab the best safety in the top of the second. Grab that big space eating DT out of Bama. Thats 4 starters right there man. Its possible. If its done properly. However. Its jerry and co so chances of that are slim. lol