Video: Jerry/Jimmy Breakup 30th Anniversary: 30 Things You Didn't Know!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Jerry had nothing to do with it either, did he......

Jerry absolutely played a part in Jimmy throwing up his hands and saying 'screw it, it's time to go'. Or are you going to ignore all the circus atmosphere garbage Jerry had started that helped lead to Jimmy's decision.
Have you never heard Jimmy say that he wasn't planning to stay very long? I don't remember what show or interview it was, but he said it outright.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry had nothing to do with it either, did he......

Jerry absolutely played a part in Jimmy throwing up his hands and saying 'screw it, it's time to go'. Or are you going to ignore all the circus atmosphere garbage Jerry had started that helped lead to Jimmy's decision.
Jerry was the boss, Jimmy didn't know his place as an employee.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are you able to read Jimmy's mind and know this to be true? I think he quit on Jerry. There's a big difference.
I know Jerry and I know coaches...Jimmy quit! Not saying he was wrong, but he quit

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
Aside from the 95 season, which I credit as still a Jimmy Johnson team, the Cowboys haven't done squat, regardless of the QB. Aikman, Carter, Bledsoe, Testeverde, Romo, Prescott; squat.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
All I know is that the Johnson Jones breakup was as bad as when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour.

Thank you, John Belushi... just trying to lighten the mood

:muttley:

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
It was time for Landry to put the fedora on the shelf.
Landry should have resigned immediately after the "Replacements" game in 1987. The most inexcusable loss in NFL history was a clear indicator that the game passed Landry by, and the team wasn't buying into him anymore if they couldn't even get up enough to beat far inferior scab players

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Yes....but he deserved a better exist
I do think the fans were spoiled back then. The Cowboys were really only bad under Landry for 2 1/2 years. He deserved better after all he gave to Dallas. I remember just getting goosebumps when the games would come on and they would show Landry on the sidelines. The Cowboys were really a special team back then. The young fans today have no idea what greatness felt like.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
Landry was 62 (or so), and supposedly, the game had “passed him by” despite leading them to 16 NFCCGs in 29 years.

Now…JJ is 80+, fueled by JWB, psoriasis of the liver, and whatever STD’s haven’t been discovered yet, and hasn’t done much in the cap era.

In one 18 year stretch he led this franchise to one playoff win! But somehow there’s no narrative that the game’s passed him by!

Why is that? Weak local media and fans clamoring for more, clinging on to the hope of being there for next year’s champs once again.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Jerry was the boss, Jimmy didn't know his place as an employee.
You don't show up your boss in front of company. You do and expect repercussions.
Jimmy knew EXACTLY what he was doing, and he pushed the right buttons to get Jerry to pay him out of his contract.
Jimmy eventually wanted to return to Miami so he could be close to the ocean.

erod

Reaction score
The day the music died was when Coach Landry was, unceremoniously, let go. Jimmy left on his own, because of his ego.
A Jerry sycophant.....

Eesh, what that must feel like, yuck.