Video: Jerry/Jimmy Breakup 30th Anniversary: 30 Things You Didn't Know!

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Landry should have resigned immediately after the "Replacements" game in 1987. The most inexcusable loss in NFL history was a clear indicator that the game passed Landry by, and the team wasn't buying into him anymore if they couldn't even get up enough to beat far inferior scab players
The fourth and one pitch to Dorsett, confirmed to me, he didn't have it anymore. I cannot remember the game.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Have you never heard Jimmy say that he wasn't planning to stay very long? I don't remember what show or interview it was, but he said it outright.
March 28th.

The SB win was nearly two months earlier. The NFL draft was just under a month away.

Zero chance Jimmy was planning on leaving when he did.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
March 28th.

The SB win was nearly two months earlier. The NFL draft was just under a month away.

Maybe he would have stayed a little longer, but since he has a genius IQ, it seems he knew exactly what he was doing when he got himself fired.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Are you able to read Jimmy's mind and know this to be true? I think he quit on Jerry. There's a big difference.
He did quit on jerry, he didnt want to win another SB for Jerry.
But in doing that he also quit on the players that were there. He admitted he didnt even consider them at the time, because he was
so mad at jerry over the 500 coaches comment.

Jerry apologized to jimmy on that and said he was just drunk and other wise would not have said that.
Jimmy didnt accept the apology, and told jerry he wasnt coming back.

I think jimmy was tired and burnt out after a intense 5 years of building the team and getting the team to SB's and winning.
He said by the time he won the second SB, it was no longer fun for him.
Jerry is the one who made it not fun, for jimmy, so he is responsible for that.

Jerry wanted more credit in the public eye, and asked jimmy to allow that even if it was fake.
Jerry wanted to look better in the war room during drafts, but jimmy refused to allow that, he wanted all the credit and
for it to look like he was in charge, and he made the decisions. And he was in charge but he could have catered to jerrys ego but didnt
because of his own ego !! lol.

Before the 500 coach comment by jerry, jimmy had said in front of some media people that his GF ronda knew more about football
than jerry did ! lol . In 93 they both started making negative comments about each other , which made for a negative situation
where 2 guys with big egos acted like spoiled kids until it blew up and jimmy just got in his corvette , drove home, and told jerry
he wasnt coming back. (this action was what a spoiled kid would do) And Jimmy has a bad temper. That led to him leaving
and not coming back.

He was so mad that when jerry was paying him off, he told jimmy he was giving him 2 million over the amount he owed him,
and jimmy told him that wasnt necessary, but jerry did it anyway. So his out of control temper made him turn down 2 million dollars !! lol
That is how mad he was!

He said much later on that he didnt realize or even think about that he screwed his players doing what he did and felt bad about that.
Jimmy was an intense person with bad temper. and Jerry was intense about wanting credit, being more involved, and showing off to other
people , so it was going to blow up at some point.
Had they been able to get along better and not act like the spoiled kids they were, they would have had a dynasty like the patriots.
Or like KC has now.
I think they were both at fault.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
March 28th.

no but he was thinking about it, he wasnt happy anymore, wasnt having fun, and was tired of jerry.
So it was just a question of the last straw happening , and he lost his temper and took off for miami.

MikeT22

Reaction score
no but he was thinking about it, he wasnt happy anymore, wasnt having fun, and was tired of jerry.
So it was just a question of the last straw happening , and he lost his temper and took off for miami.
I get it. But up until that point he obviously wasnt planning on leaving after the '93 season. But yeah, he got tired of Jerry's BS.

And to make it worse Jerry just continued meddling and hiring yes men HC after Jimmy was gone so he could comfortably tinker with his toy.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I get it. But up until that point he obviously wasnt planning on leaving after the '93 season. But yeah, he got tired of Jerry's BS.

And to make it worse Jerry just continued meddling and hiring yes men HC after Jimmy was gone so he could comfortably tinker with his toy.
Well maybe better to say in 91 he wasnt planning on leaving at end of 93 season right before the draft.
He had a 10 year contract, so I imagine at first he planned on doing all 10 ?
but as things happened, that was cut in half !!

Just imagine having to work for jerry lol, and everytime you do something good, he swoops in and tells media it was his idea and he takes credit for what you did.
This goes on for 5 years !! you would be tired of it by then.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I was devastated on that day, I have come to believe Jimmy staying would not have worked out.
Some players had come off 2 super bowl victories and were growing tired of Jimmy's boot camp style. So I don't fault Jerry as much for the break up, however I hate Jerry for the following 30 years.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Interesting history about Jerry and Jimmy's relationship.

Jerry Jones loyalist. Gil Brandt and Tex Schramm already approached Jimmy to be the next HC of the Dallas Cowboys. A year later after Jerry started negotiating with the Bum to buy the team, He contacted Jimmy to get inside information on the Dallas Cowboys Gil and Tex knowing Jimmy was going to be the HC of the Dallas Cowboys either way.

Also Bob Ackles, and John Wooten along with Jimmy Johnson built the 90's Cowboys Dynasty. Jerry was quoted that with Jimmy he got 2 for the price of 1, a HC and a GM. It was all Jerry's ego why the Cowboys Dynasty was destroyed in 2 years after being built to last a 2 decades.

Last edited: