News: Jerry Jones admits he 'intentionally' stirs up the Cowboys QB controversy

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
The old adage of "no press is bad press" absolutely applies to the approach Jerry Jones takes when running the Cowboys. The Dallas owner loves attention and makes no bones about his love for attention.

Weeks 15-16
He even admitted as much, in an interview with Jason Gay of the Wall Street Journal, that he intentionally stirs up controversy when it comes to the Cowboys quarterback controversy.

"That's one of the things that makes sports interesting," Jones said. "I do feed that."

Leading up to Sunday, there was a week's worth of fervent debate about whether Dak Prescott or Tony Romo should play for the Cowboys. Dak struggled the previous two weeks, with the Cowboys failing to score many points and losing to the Giants.

With Jerry having already done a quick jig when it comes to the Cowboys situation earlier in the season and then promptly opening the door for a quarterback controversy, everyone in and around the NFL spent the week talking about the Cowboys quarterback situation.

That's not an accident.

"I think there's some of me that wants to [stir things up]," Jones said. "That probably is intentional."

Jones' plan, which also featured him backpedaling on his initial comments, worked out pretty well. The Cowboys looked impressive against Tampa Bay and Prescott, with his back up against the wall a bit when it comes to the depth chart, promptly completed 88.9 percent of his passes.

Any quarterback controversy was promptly snuffed out after Sunday night. Without ever being promoted, Romo was relegated to the second string again.

Probably this time for good. Or at least until Jerry decides to stir things up again.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
The old adage of "no press is bad press" absolutely applies to the approach Jerry Jones takes when running the Cowboys. The Dallas owner loves attention and makes no bones about his love for attention.

Weeks 15-16
He even admitted as much, in an interview with Jason Gay of the Wall Street Journal, that he intentionally stirs up controversy when it comes to the Cowboys quarterback controversy.

"That's one of the things that makes sports interesting," Jones said. "I do feed that."

Leading up to Sunday, there was a week's worth of fervent debate about whether Dak Prescott or Tony Romo should play for the Cowboys. Dak struggled the previous two weeks, with the Cowboys failing to score many points and losing to the Giants.

With Jerry having already done a quick jig when it comes to the Cowboys situation earlier in the season and then promptly opening the door for a quarterback controversy, everyone in and around the NFL spent the week talking about the Cowboys quarterback situation.

That's not an accident.

"I think there's some of me that wants to [stir things up]," Jones said. "That probably is intentional."

Jones' plan, which also featured him backpedaling on his initial comments, worked out pretty well. The Cowboys looked impressive against Tampa Bay and Prescott, with his back up against the wall a bit when it comes to the depth chart, promptly completed 88.9 percent of his passes.

Any quarterback controversy was promptly snuffed out after Sunday night. Without ever being promoted, Romo was relegated to the second string again.

Probably this time for good. Or at least until Jerry decides to stir things up again.
Zzzzzzzzz

BlueStar22

Reaction score
It's yours and the media's fault for hanging onto every word Jerry says. I've learned to ignore him. When his mouth is moving, unless he's talking about business, he's probably lying.

Sepia

Reaction score
Dak told Deion that Jerry talked to him a few days ago. I couldn't quite make out what he said about the convo, though. Hopefully, Jerry told him to ignore everything he hears him say to the media.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Dak told Deion that Jerry talked to him a few days ago. I couldn't quite make out what he said about the convo, though. Hopefully, Jerry told him to ignore everything he hears him say to the media.

I'm somewhat relieved to hear of this. Contributing to a QB controversy didn't strike me as a positive move originally but it's at least good to know that our GM saw fit to give comfort that Jerry wasn't minimizing Dak's importance to the team. It was the least he could do, imho.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
In the famous words of Joe Dirt
8cf20d1c9457b51e386b72e808f52fde.jpg

Sydla

Reaction score
It's yours and the media's fault for hanging onto every word Jerry says. I've learned to ignore him. When his mouth is moving, unless he's talking about business, he's probably lying.

He's the owner for chrissakes. It's easy for fans to tune him out but the media has to report on what he says.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The players do laugh at all the commotion.
Seems like a controversy in the press or with fans, but businesses usual at The Star.

Virginia-Dave

Reaction score
He is so full of crap. He loves Romo, and is secretly fantasizing that something will happen to Dak which will force Romo into the game. Then Romo will magically lead the Cowboys through the playoffs, and into the SB. After he wins the Super Bowl, and SB MVP, Romo will propose to Jerry, and they will ride off into the sunset on their flying unicorn, and live happily ever after. :)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
oh no. Jerry Jones did something along the lines of things he's done time and time again for nearly thirty years. Shocking. Not shocking? Must be shocking. Some people are continually shocked. So it must be shocking... right?

Maybe he will change and finally begin doing things that are expected of him. Funny. That will never happen but I would be shocked if it did. Shocking.