News: Jerry Jones admits he 'intentionally' stirs up the Cowboys QB controversy

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Once Romo realizes nobody is going to pay him what he wants to play..
What would be Romo's terms in your opinion? I asked because Romo has already earned (and probably wisely invested) a vast income from his current and prior contracts--along with his commercial endorsements. It would seem to me that he would not demand to be paid top dollar as a contractual condition.

I would suggest, based on actual player contracts in various sports, that player value is driven by market conditions. In football, quarterbacks deemed franchise players are paid as such. So, the Tom Bradys of football are paid like kings along with the Sam Bradfords. Romo's current contract was a result of market conditions--regardless of anyone's perceptions. However, any future contract negotiation does not mandate that Romo "overprice" himself. Why should he when he doesn't need the money?

Romotil45

Reaction score
No.

What's going on is Linehan is leaving in the off season and Romo will retire and go into coaching and call plays.

Tony is going nowhere but Dallas.

Once Romo realizes nobody is going to pay him what he wants to play..

He will see the writing on the wall.

Jones will pay him several mil a year to stay and he will.

Nobody knows the offense like Romo..

Just watch.

No going to happen. Tony can make much more being an analyst and have much more time with his family. He's not going to coach, he will play or be an analyst.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
What would be Romo's terms in your opinion? I asked because Romo has already earned (and probably wisely invested) a vast income from his current and prior contracts--along with his commercial endorsements. It would seem to me that he would not demand to be paid top dollar as a contractual condition.

I would suggest, based on actual player contracts in various sports, that player value is driven by market conditions. In football, quarterbacks deemed franchise players are paid as such. So, the Tom Bradys of football are paid like kings along with the Sam Bradfords. Romo's current contract was a result of market conditions--regardless of anyone's perceptions. However, any future contract negotiation does not mandate that Romo "overprice" himself. Why should he when he doesn't need the money?
I think like with Aikman when he retired nobody would pay him enough either so he became a broadcaster.

Aikman's injury history with multiple concussions and whatever scared people away.

Once he understood that..he retired.

Romo is in the same place.

He can still contribute as a coordinator and be healthy enough to play with his kids.

Seems like a good job to me.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No going to happen. Tony can make much more being an analyst and have much more time with his family. He's not going to coach, he will play or be an analyst.
This.

If some people would stop and actually listen to what Romo has said, they may discern for themselves that Romo doesn't consider coaching as a priority right now. That does not mean Romo may not become a coach one day--only that particular option is relatively low on his priority list.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I think he will retire.

He sees how the position has changed.

Mobile QBs are a staple of the position.

Romo is not that anymore.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Pathetic!! I like Jerry, but this is just pathetic!

Seriously if there is a 1 in a million chance that it screws up the team chemistry or gets in the young qbs head is it worth it??? He just can not help himself. The T.O of owners.

links18

Reaction score
It probably would have been the right move to play Romo as soon as he was healthy--then if he got hurt again we could go right back to Dak. Now, this........

cowboys2233

Reaction score
He is so full of crap. He loves Romo, and is secretly fantasizing that something will happen to Dak which will force Romo into the game. Then Romo will magically lead the Cowboys through the playoffs, and into the SB. After he wins the Super Bowl, and SB MVP, Romo will propose to Jerry, and they will ride off into the sunset on their flying unicorn, and live happily ever after. :)

Uh yeah, and it's Romo's supporters that are the "emotional" ones, huh? Completely unfair to Jerry, he has shown nothing but loyalty to his players. But please, keep revising reality to suit your agenda.

Romotil45

Reaction score
This.

If some people would stop and actually listen to what Romo has said, they may discern for themselves that Romo doesn't consider coaching as a priority right now. That does not mean Romo may not become a coach one day--only that particular option is relatively low on his priority list.

I'm not sure most people understand how many hours coordinators and NFL head coaches put in every week. Sure they get some time off in the off season but its not as much as you might think with draft prep, coaching clinics etc. The best head coaches in the NFL make 8 million a year coordinators around 4-6. Hell Jim Rome makes 15. Rome is making almost twice what the best coaches make and he never played professional sports. A guy like Romo has the potential to make much more as an analyst if he can learn to be entertaining and eventually get his own show. Plus much more time with family.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Jerry is becoming that weird uncle that you only see once or twice a year at Thanksgiving and Christmas. He shows up half drunk, and makes inappropriate comments at the dinner table but the family just kind of tolerates or ignores him because you know.....he's family

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
He is so full of crap. He loves Romo, and is secretly fantasizing that something will happen to Dak which will force Romo into the game. Then Romo will magically lead the Cowboys through the playoffs, and into the SB. After he wins the Super Bowl, and SB MVP, Romo will propose to Jerry, and they will ride off into the sunset on their flying unicorn, and live happily ever after. :)
Off topic, but where did you get that motorcycle helmet in your avatar (assuming its yours)? I need it now!

Ultra Warrior

6 Million Light-years beyond believability.
Reaction score
Dak did say that he used it as motivation & wasn't as weak minded as a lot here tried to say & blamed his struggles on Romo talk.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sure most people understand how many hours coordinators and NFL head coaches put in every week. Sure they get some time off in the off season but its not as much as you might think with draft prep, coaching clinics etc. The best head coaches in the NFL make 8 million a year coordinators around 4-6. Hell Jim Rome makes 15. Rome is making almost twice what the best coaches make and he never played professional sports. A guy like Romo has the potential to make much more as an analyst if he can learn to be entertaining and eventually get his own show. Plus much more time with family.
I'm not sure how much thought Romo has placed into being an analyst one day but you do make a good point.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
So Jerry expresses doubts about his QB just days before his QB's new commercial come out about doubting him....hmmm coincidence?

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
The old adage of "no press is bad press" absolutely applies to the approach Jerry Jones takes when running the Cowboys. The Dallas owner loves attention and makes no bones about his love for attention.

Weeks 15-16
He even admitted as much, in an interview with Jason Gay of the Wall Street Journal, that he intentionally stirs up controversy when it comes to the Cowboys quarterback controversy.

"That's one of the things that makes sports interesting," Jones said. "I do feed that."

Leading up to Sunday, there was a week's worth of fervent debate about whether Dak Prescott or Tony Romo should play for the Cowboys. Dak struggled the previous two weeks, with the Cowboys failing to score many points and losing to the Giants.

With Jerry having already done a quick jig when it comes to the Cowboys situation earlier in the season and then promptly opening the door for a quarterback controversy, everyone in and around the NFL spent the week talking about the Cowboys quarterback situation.

That's not an accident.

"I think there's some of me that wants to [stir things up]," Jones said. "That probably is intentional."

Jones' plan, which also featured him backpedaling on his initial comments, worked out pretty well. The Cowboys looked impressive against Tampa Bay and Prescott, with his back up against the wall a bit when it comes to the depth chart, promptly completed 88.9 percent of his passes.

Any quarterback controversy was promptly snuffed out after Sunday night. Without ever being promoted, Romo was relegated to the second string again.

Probably this time for good. Or at least until Jerry decides to stir things up again.

ae98b1fa4a3335527f37e0ebe7ea6f09.jpg