Jerry Jones and NFLPA working to change NFL Marijuana policy

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The NFL and the NFL Players Association agreed years ago to prevent players from smoking marijuana. If the players want that to change, the league believes they need to be prepared to make a concession at the bargaining table. (Indeed, when Cowboys owner Jerry Jones recently argued to his colleagues that the NFL needs to change its position on marijuana, he was reminded that the players should give something up, if they want to get the power to use it.) Given that most players either don’t smoke or are smart enough to navigate the substance-abuse testing procedures, it will be difficult to persuade them to give something up for something that they don’t want or need.

The NFLPA meanwhile hopes to separately pressure the league to relax the marijuana restriction not because the league has secured a concession at the bargaining table but because it’s the right thing to do. That’s why NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said Tuesday on ESPN’s Outside The Lines (via SportsBusiness Daily), “We intended to present a proposal to the league that has probably more of a therapeutic approach to those who test positive for marijuana. The idea is simply to make sure that we understand whether a player is suffering from something other than just a desire to smoke marijuana.”

It’s a smart and reasonable position, and this is one of those occasions (rare as they may be) where the NFL needs to step away from back-and-forth, tit-for-tat of collective bargaining and agree that it’s in everyone’s interests to allow players who need marijuana for therapeutic reasons to use it instead of drugs far more unhealthy and far more addictive than marijuana.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...o-focus-on-marijuana-for-therapeutic-reasons/

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Special council that needs appointed.

maxresdefault.jpg

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
What's funny is not a lot of guys get High and beat their girlfriend but Budweiser is a sponsor so here we are.

Honestly when I'm drunk I care so much about the Cowboys and football but when I'm
High I think football is kinda silly and it doesn't matter who wins. This is a cultural issue rather than a scientific or moral issue

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
This is irrelevant. It might be an issue with the next round of the CBA but nothing will happen until then.

Then it will get buried like a flier on a bill in Congress hoping nobody notices.

The weed issue is still a big deal. There is still a small segment of society that says it is "dangerous" and "addictive".

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
As long is it is illegal on the federal level, there should be some kind of punishment for it. If it is made legal, and I don't agree that it should be, but if it is, then obviously there should be no punishment.

Whether the punishment should be what it is is a different story. I'm for punishing those who harm others more than those who hurt themselves.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Weed is dangerous. And for the sake of all the players, the commish should ban anything that endangers their health.

Do not agree.

Plus, anyone who seriously abuses weed will not be able to play professional football at a high level and will not make it in the league anyway.

As a pain or stress management tool, I have zero issue with players using marijuana.

Alcohol is much worse IMO yet it is not only tolerated by the NFL, it's one of their top endorsers.

waldoputty

Reaction score

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
This is irrelevant. It might be an issue with the next round of the CBA but nothing will happen until then.

Then it will get buried like a flier on a bill in Congress hoping nobody notices.

The weed issue is still a big deal. There is still a small segment of society that says it is "dangerous" and "addictive".

You don't know that particularly when there are owners that want it.

That segment doesn't get veto power and generally speaking they are dying off. Over half the states have marijuana legal in one fashion or another.

waldoputty

Reaction score
As long is it is illegal on the federal level, there should be some kind of punishment for it. If it is made legal, and I don't agree that it should be, but if it is, then obviously there should be no punishment.

Whether the punishment should be what it is is a different story. I'm for punishing those who harm others more than those who hurt themselves.

whatever, this is the best chance to get gregory on the field.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

That is nonsense. The NFL's role is not law enforcement.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
All you have to do is post something on the topic to see how polarizing it is.

This is something that will be collectively bargained.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
All you have to do is post something on the topic to see how polarizing it is.

This is something that will be collectively bargained.

Last time I checked the owners voted. If it is polarizing is besides the point when it only takes 17 to pass it.

And they can amend the CBA at anytime. It remains negotiable between now and 2020.