Jerry Jones believes Cowboys can compete with high-scoring teams like the Rams and Chiefs

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
IF we were doing that consistently all year, sure. But we haven't. He just seems to think, "hey, we like to run the ball and eat clock so we won't get into a shoot out!"

That does seem to be the thinking, ignoring the fact that if you only run the ball, eat clock but only score 3 points in a half that there's no way you can ask your defense, no matter how good it is, to hold prolific offenses to that.

The only thing our style of play might do is help keep those teams from reaching their averages. But if we're scoring in the teens, we're still going to lose.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
LOL.

Anyone who didn't see this comment coming hasn't been paying attention to the idiocy that is Jerry Jones at times.

Here's the problem with that logic, however, when he says we wouldn't play that kind of game.

We may have to. He acts like our team is the 9-1 team that is well coached and been able to dictate to the opposition what and how we want a game to be played.

For the Cowboys to win, they would have to do something they really haven't done all year......... play a highly efficient offensive game from the first snap to the last, convert their red zones opportunities into TDs, generate a fair amount of turnovers, etc. Not impossible but how likely?

IF we were doing that consistently all year, sure. But we haven't. He just seems to think, "hey, we like to run the ball and eat clock so we won't get into a shoot out!"

:hammer:

And he didn't account for the Prescott turnovers. Dak would have to be perfect...Which when we have played a team that is over 500...he hasn't been able to do.

And even if we did play that perfect game...who is to say the other team wouldn't match us drive for drive?...I don't see us sustaining multiple drives for scores for 60 minutes. Eventually...We would end up shooting ourselves in the foot. :rolleyes:

sideon

Reaction score
I actually agree with Jerry.

I'm not saying we would win but Dallas is good at making every game a coin flip. Even against bad teams.

Play good defense, run the clock out, and see what happens in the 4th quarter.
They haven't played a team that's even close to either of those teams, so what makes you think that they could hang with them?
See I disagree.

I think we have a better chance against the Rams and Saints because their QB will be playing from the pocket for the most part and that has been our strength defensively this year.

It's the mobile guys that have gave us fits.
Stafford isn't a mobile quarterback and he shredded this defense.

rpntex

Reaction score
I actually agree with Jerry.

I'm not saying we would win but Dallas is good at making every game a coin flip. Even against bad teams.

Play good defense, run the clock out, and see what happens in the 4th quarter.

Those are my thoughts… This defense can keep the Cowboys in a game. That, and running the clock through utilizing the running game cuts down on the amount of time the opposition has the ball. If the defense is on its game, Dallas can play with anybody.

TheHerd

Reaction score
The Rams, Chiefs, Saints, Bears, Steelers, Patriots, and Chargers will all slaughter the Cowboys when/ if they play each other.

I doubt we'd get slaughtered just due to how we play, but I agree that each of those games would be one where we'd never really be in a position to win.

Our theories will be test next week.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Explain to me these scores..

Ravens 23 - Saints 24

Browns 18 - Saints 21

Vikings 20 - Saints 30

Our offense is terrible. I hate it. But Dallas has a chance in any game because we play good defense and we chew clock with the run game.

Saints was week 2, and with the camp rules the first few weeks of the season are a crapshoot as teams are just getting their sea legs.
Ravens was on the road, and they have an attacking aggressive D, and NO still manages 24.
Vikings was also on the road, and 30 points is hardly being shut down. We've eclipsed that total just once this year.

I do agree we'll have a chance because the game is in Dallas, Brees isn't a mobile QB, and we play good D. But I doubt there is any real chance for a victory. Brees would have to make a number of mistakes, and that is not something he typically does.

They also like to spread it out and run or throw run-like passes to Kamara, and even with LVE and Smith we just can't seem to stop either mobile QBs or receiving RBs. At least Brees isn't mobile.

Mr_437

Reaction score
All it takes is a win or two for Jerry lose his plucking mind and say some stupid ish.

Find a coach Jerry, until then just shut up.