Jerry Jones believes Cowboys can compete with high-scoring teams like the Rams and Chiefs

Reaction score
I can't believe people are ignoring what we did to the Falcons offense @ Atlanta and act like we can't defend some of these good offenses.

Our lack of big plays is what will be our downfall. The defense will be fine as long as they stay away from QB's that can run.
People also want to ignore that the Cowboys offense scored 22 points against one of the most pitiful defenses of all time.

They are going to need 35+ points to hang with the Saints. Their defense isn't great by any stretch, but it's better than the Falcons defense. And we could only manage 22 on them.

The Cowboys need to be within 1 score so they can continue to run the ball. If they fall behind 2 or more scores and are forced to abandon the running game in an effort to chase points, it's all over. The rout will be on.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I actually agree with Jerry.

I'm not saying we would win but Dallas is good at making every game a coin flip. Even against bad teams.

Play good defense, run the clock out, and see what happens in the 4th quarter.

The problem with the dominate-the-time-of-possession logic is that the great offensive teams like the Rams, Saints, Chiefs, Tom Brady-led Patriots, etc., do not need long to score. Throw in the fact that we settle for field goals so often and you have the situation where we are controlling the game, leading 6 to nothing only to be down 7-6 in a blink of an eye.

GMO415

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
giphy.gif

mrmojo

Reaction score
Jerry's going old school. That's basically how we beat the Niners back in 92 NFC Championship. Turnovers, ball control and defense and special teams making plays. Niners hardly saw ball in 2nd half, but they did move the ball when they did, but settled for 3 way too many times.

But we had remarkable talent back then on offense, so maybe we could have won a shootout too.

Rules are so different today that I dont know if you could win games against scoring machines with just ball control and good defense. Guess we will see.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I actually agree with Jerry.

I'm not saying we would win but Dallas is good at making every game a coin flip. Even against bad teams.

Play good defense, run the clock out, and see what happens in the 4th quarter.
One of the ESPN talking heads made a similar observation when discussing the upcoming Cowboys/Saints games... Essentially, keep Brees off the field.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
People also want to ignore that the Cowboys offense scored 22 points against one of the most pitiful defenses of all time.

They are going to need 35+ points to hang with the Saints. Their defense isn't great by any stretch, but it's better than the Falcons defense. And we could only manage 22 on them.

The Cowboys need to be within 1 score so they can continue to run the ball. If they fall behind 2 or more scores and are forced to abandon the running game in an effort to chase points, it's all over. The rout will be on.

The Browns had a close game with the Saints and they only scored 18...

These general statements like every game is the same is ridiculous.

We will need to score points of course but Dallas has a formula that keeps good and bad teams close.

cowboyec

Reaction score
if we keep playing defense...we have a fighters chance.
run Zeke.
but we gotta FINISH plays....no dropped ints,or TDs....no almost tackles.
and we gotta score TDs in the red-zone...not FGs.
currently our defense is #3 in scoring....we keep that up,we have a fighters chance.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That, my friend, we will see in 9 days because all of the good vibrations about this defense are based on what teams they've played. And the Saints averaged 25 against three good defenses, while the opposing offenses only averaged 20 and the Saints are supposed to have a mediocre defense.

WE just played the #3 offense at their house and they didn't score until the 4th quarter.

Mobile QB's is what is hurting this defense. These pocket guys are going to struggle if they can't buy time against us.

Brax

Reaction score
The game is Thursday? What?? NFL not giving us our usual post thankgiving rest, 3 games in 12 days, player safety my a**.
Thursday to Thursday 7 days then the 10 days till next game.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The Chiefs, maybe, the Rams or Saints, no way.

I can actually see the Rams and us keeping it close. The Rams defence has struggled a bit against the run, and our defence is actually quite good. I don't think we win, especially in LA, but I do think we can keep that close.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Well, Jerry, maybe we could if we'd stop trotting out a good but incomplete D. Get us some real S's and a guy like Akiem Hicks in the middle, and it's possible we could compete w/ anyone.

Yes, though a proper TE would be nice as well. Dak's lacked a proper tight end this season, and it's shown. I think a lot of people took for granted the automatic 5-8 yards that Witten provided Dak. Witten was critical to keeping drives moving, and we don't have a tight end that can do that.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
See I disagree.

I think we have a better chance against the Rams and Saints because their QB will be playing from the pocket for the most part and that has been our strength defensively this year.

It's the mobile guys that have gave us fits.
The problem I see is the Rams and Saints defenses will hold the Cowboys offense to less than 20 points.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
The 2014 team would have a good chance at beating either of these teams because if that team needed to, Romo could turn on the jets and win a shootout.

This year, if our defense has one or two slip ups against the rams or Saints, our offense isn't good enough to come from behind to win