Jerry Jones disagrees with Mike McCarthy's clock management during win over Chargers

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry Jones wasn't trying to create drama when offering his honest opinion of a decision Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy made during Monday night's 20-17 win over the Chargers. That may have not been his intent, but Jones nevertheless created headlines by openly disagreeing with his coach's decision to play for a field goal before halftime.

With the score 7-7, the Cowboys opted to take a 10-7 halftime lead over the Chargers after Brandon Aubrey kicked a 32-yard field goal as time expired. Jones would have preferred to see his team take a more aggressive approach.

"First of all, this is not an impassioned response to your question at all," Jones said on 105. The Fan, via Pro Football Talk. "But I thought we should have tried another pass in the end zone, and used the clock accordingly."

While the decision ultimately paid off, Jones does have a point. Two plays prior to the field goal, Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott hit tight end Jake Ferguson for a 15-yard-gain that turned into 30-yard play following a Chargers penalty. Facing a first-and-10 from the Chargers' 17-yard line and armed with two timeouts, Prescott opted to throw a safe, 3-yard completion to Tony Pollard with 14 seconds left in the half.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...nagement-during-win-over-chargers/ar-AA1irWTU

Bagman

Reaction score
I have to go along with Big Mike also. They were on the 17 yd line. The odds of completing a 17 yd TD pass or a TD run where anything less would have resulted in them kicking a FG anyway. And all the while risking a sack, interception, fumble or penalty. Especially with a struggling offense. Sometimes a coach can be content taking a chip shot FG and a 10-7 lead into the locker room at half. How many people would be carrying torches and pitchforks for MM if we lost the opportunity to kick that FG. Oh yeah, in a game we won by a FG

StarLord

Reaction score
Initially, during the game I was thought come on run another play! But after some thought, I agree with running it down. I feel like the odds of an INT thrown into triple coverage in the end zone was greater than a TD.

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
While I understand the logic, telling your 40 mil QB you don't trust him with the ball just doesn't seem like a good thing in the long run.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I have to go with Mike, I've seen the qb play before.
All Dak jokes aside, in the end he made the right call. If Dak takes a sack and fumbles, or throws a pick this game could have gone to OT and it's a crapshoot from there for getting a W. The 3 points made the difference. Yeah we didn't like it, and yeah he doesn't trust the qb, and yeah he may have lucked out, but all that aside...we won by 3 so it was the right call.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Its classic jerry talk .

He criticizes his own team after a win. I mean ... :facepalm: Classic Jerry right there.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think MM is out of his element in the 2 minute offense. He had Moore handling it the last 2 years, and in Gb Aaron Rodgers called his own plays in the 2 minute drill. I don’t think he knows what he’s doing.

plasticman

Reaction score
Way to have your coach's back Jerry.

Of course, it was far more important for you to create the perception that you actually have the knowledge and talent to evaluate NFL coaching. Clearly, you don't.

All that you have accomplished is that you undermined his authority and damaged the team's confidence in him.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have to go along with Big Mike also. They were on the 17 yd line. The odds of completing a 17 yd TD pass or a TD run where anything less would have resulted in them kicking a FG anyway. And all the while risking a sack, interception, fumble or penalty. Especially with a struggling offense. Sometimes a coach can be content taking a chip shot FG and a 10-7 lead into the locker room at half. How many people would be carrying torches and pitchforks for MM if we lost the opportunity to kick that FG. Oh yeah, in a game we won by a FG
Yup. The essential practicality of the issue.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Way to have your coach's back Jerry.

Of course, it was far more important for you to create the perception that you actually have the knowledge and talent to evaluate NFL coaching. Clearly, you don't.

All that you have accomplished is that you undermined his authority and damaged the team's confidence in him.
He might as well say, "Mike, I'm counting the days."

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Jerry Jones wasn't trying to create drama when offering his honest opinion of a decision Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy made during Monday night's 20-17 win over the Chargers. That may have not been his intent, but Jones nevertheless created headlines by openly disagreeing with his coach's decision to play for a field goal before halftime.

With the score 7-7, the Cowboys opted to take a 10-7 halftime lead over the Chargers after Brandon Aubrey kicked a 32-yard field goal as time expired. Jones would have preferred to see his team take a more aggressive approach.

"First of all, this is not an impassioned response to your question at all," Jones said on 105. The Fan, via Pro Football Talk. "But I thought we should have tried another pass in the end zone, and used the clock accordingly."

While the decision ultimately paid off, Jones does have a point. Two plays prior to the field goal, Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott hit tight end Jake Ferguson for a 15-yard-gain that turned into 30-yard play following a Chargers penalty. Facing a first-and-10 from the Chargers' 17-yard line and armed with two timeouts, Prescott opted to throw a safe, 3-yard completion to Tony Pollard with 14 seconds left in the half.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...nagement-during-win-over-chargers/ar-AA1irWTU
I agree with Jerry.
Mike made the wrong call and played passively there.

Bagman

Reaction score
I agree with Jerry.
Mike made the wrong call and played passively there.
I disagree with Jerry. Mike made the right call and played winning football there. There's a time to put your pride aside and take the win. Its like a gambler with 10 grand in his pocket who just HAS TO play one more big hand of blackjack. And walks away from the table with $75.