Jerry Jones disagrees with Mike McCarthy's clock management during win over Chargers

DStar22

Reaction score
lets think logically understanding the situation. .. what are the chances of Dak throwing a TD in one play from where he was with red zone trouble AGAINST the chances of getting sacked, pushing the FG try back and missing it?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Jerry Jones wasn't trying to create drama when offering his honest opinion of a decision Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy made during Monday night's 20-17 win over the Chargers. That may have not been his intent, but Jones nevertheless created headlines by openly disagreeing with his coach's decision to play for a field goal before halftime.

With the score 7-7, the Cowboys opted to take a 10-7 halftime lead over the Chargers after Brandon Aubrey kicked a 32-yard field goal as time expired. Jones would have preferred to see his team take a more aggressive approach.

"First of all, this is not an impassioned response to your question at all," Jones said on 105. The Fan, via Pro Football Talk. "But I thought we should have tried another pass in the end zone, and used the clock accordingly."

While the decision ultimately paid off, Jones does have a point. Two plays prior to the field goal, Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott hit tight end Jake Ferguson for a 15-yard-gain that turned into 30-yard play following a Chargers penalty. Facing a first-and-10 from the Chargers' 17-yard line and armed with two timeouts, Prescott opted to throw a safe, 3-yard completion to Tony Pollard with 14 seconds left in the half.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...nagement-during-win-over-chargers/ar-AA1irWTU
Jerry can’t help himself. Undermining always comes with the package.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
The fact that they didn't take a shot at the end zone is a massive red flag. Literally no other upper echelon team would do that, especially in today's NFL where teams are so aggressive.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I have to go with Mike, I've seen the qb play before.
Seriously. Put pressure on the Dak Attack lately and it’s a guaranteed interception, time management screw up or something. AND the team was committing penalties like they were candy. Get the points on the board, go into the bye week to try and have your team ready the next time it happens and to fight another day. Don’t agree with the critics on this. The time to fix it was before the season began in TC, or a QB you trusted. Smart conservative game management. And knowing your poker hand had a great defense on the cards.

aikemirv

Reaction score
It's a rarity that Jerry is right when it comes to this stuff but he's right here.

What McCarthy did was stupid. And for those defending him because he was scared of his QB, think about this. One, this clock management stuff has plagued him since his time in GB. He's had some clock management gaffes here in Dallas as well. Two, if he's scared of his QB then why is he letting him throw high risk passes in other situations?

It wasn't about Dak. It was about McCarthy doing what he does best - botch clock management.
The error in that series was the lack of a timeout called after the Gallup reception when they let 23 seconds run off the clock. 8 seconds left inside the 10 I call a play. 8 seconds at the 17 is taking a bit more of a chance.

If he just called a tiimeout with 45 seconds to go the end would have played out a good bit different IMO.

I was a little indifferent after the NYG fiasco at the end of their first half!

plasticman

Reaction score
Jerry Jones wasn't trying to create drama when offering his honest opinion of a decision Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy made during Monday night's 20-17 win over the Chargers. That may have not been his intent, but Jones nevertheless created headlines by openly disagreeing with his coach's decision to play for a field goal before halftime.

With the score 7-7, the Cowboys opted to take a 10-7 halftime lead over the Chargers after Brandon Aubrey kicked a 32-yard field goal as time expired. Jones would have preferred to see his team take a more aggressive approach.

"First of all, this is not an impassioned response to your question at all," Jones said on 105. The Fan, via Pro Football Talk. "But I thought we should have tried another pass in the end zone, and used the clock accordingly."

While the decision ultimately paid off, Jones does have a point. Two plays prior to the field goal, Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott hit tight end Jake Ferguson for a 15-yard-gain that turned into 30-yard play following a Chargers penalty. Facing a first-and-10 from the Chargers' 17-yard line and armed with two timeouts, Prescott opted to throw a safe, 3-yard completion to Tony Pollard with 14 seconds left in the half.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...nagement-during-win-over-chargers/ar-AA1irWTU
Of all the times to actually be honest....

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
The fact that they didn't take a shot at the end zone is a massive red flag. Literally no other upper echelon team would do that, especially in today's NFL where teams are so aggressive.
IF this is true, probably more than half of those teams would have ultimately left 3 points on the pitch.

shabazz

Reaction score
just to be honest and take a bit of the heat off of Dak, I’m not sure why any coach would have confidence in an offense that can’t run the football…..theres more than one thing hindering the offense.

Good God man…..we all see this anemic, non existent running game exacerbated by a timid passing game that features just CeeDee .

Bagman

Reaction score
How is kicking a fg before the half taking the win?
We still had a whole half of football to play?
We had no idea how it was going to play out.
We wussed out.
Glad it did not bite us in the butt.
I'm referring to taking the win in this situation, not the entirety of the game.