Jerry Jones Does Not Rule Out Not Extending Dak

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Looks like a post June cut saves 34mill with 25 mill dead money, with the cut you will have the same basic team if TL isn’t the answer you are in a good position because you already know Daks ceiling and the magical playoff run isn’t going to happen based on past history 8 seasons to this point
It doesn’t save cap expense, it spreads over two years instead of all at once.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Looks like a post June cut saves 34mill with 25 mill dead money, with the cut you will have the same basic team if TL isn’t the answer you are in a good position because you already know Daks ceiling and the magical playoff run isn’t going to happen based on past history 8 seasons to this point
More like past history of 28 years.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
2 deadlines to keep an eye on if the extension isn't done
**before the start of free agency. When his huge cap hit the books. They would find other ways to meet the deadline. The new unexpected cap amount makes this a lot easier than originally expected.
**before the draft.......if they can't reach an agreement before the draft, his career as a Cowboys is probably closer to ending than not. Coz the draft will be the drop dead trade value for him. In other words, if there's no agreement or trade after the draft, he becomes a free agent at the end of the season and can walk w/o the Cowboys getting any compensation, meaning his trade value is dead. Bottom line......we are going to know lot about his Cowboy career over the next couple of months.

My guess.....if they can't reach an agreement before the draft, Dak and France will ask for a trade. Remember his goal is a new multi-year top 3 contract BEFORE the start of the season coz otherwise, it is a lame-duck year for only $34M.
Dak’s goal? Dak reached his goal. He has already been paid all the guaranteed money in his current deal. He was aware of how it was to be paid before he agreed to it. He’s under contract and a free agent in 12 months. His goal is to have as good a season as he can and that will be the measure of his value, his most recent performance. There is only a conversation of a new deal if Jerry Jones feels like it. If Jerry Jones intends for Prescott to be the Dallas Cowboys’ quarterbckack beyond next season he’s going to initiate talks on a new deal while he’s the only team allowed to talk to him. In 12 months, all 32 teams can negotiate with him. You do the math.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score

Report: Cowboys' entire coaching staff on prove-it year in '24; Prescott extension 'far from a given'​

While chief operating officer Stephen Jones just this week reiterated the front office’s desire to keep quarterback Dak Prescott on the roster with a contract extension, Gehlken reports that such a negotiation coming to fruition this offseason is “far from a given.”

He explains:

“The Cowboys, in fact, could find some attraction in waiting until early next year despite the inability to place a franchise tag on Prescott. The NFL’s salary cap is not expected to jump next year as dramatically as it did recently when swelling from $224.8 million in 2023 to $255.4 million. There is some thought a Prescott extension this year would be more cumbersome on the 2025 cap than a 2025 deal.”

But team sources noted to Gehlken that if Prescott does, in fact, go on to play 2024 as a contract year, it would be “entirely coincidental” in relation to the prove-it status of McCarthy and his assistants, not part of some larger plan intentionally tying the MVP runner-up to the coaching staff.

The NFL season is still over six months away, but the stakes for the Cowboys may already be at an all-time high.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2024/02/29/coaching-staff-contract-year-dak-prescott-extension/
I’ve said a couple of times that I am not so sure that this will be Mikes last year. I don’t think Mikes extension is necessarily tied to Dak’a performance either which could be part of a larger plan. JJ Has already gone out of his way to credit Mike for Daks performance last year, so if Dak succeeds great he gets his extension and Mike gets his extension everyone is happy, but if he doesn’t necessarily play great or fails again in the playoffs they’ll look to see if there was any improvement elsewhere. If so I think there is a chance they stick with Mike and move on from Dak and let him develop another QB, whether that’s TL or someone else.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Dak’s goal? Dak reached his goal. He has already been paid all the guaranteed money in his current deal. He was aware of how it was to be paid before he agreed to it. He’s under contract and a free agent in 12 months. His goal is to have as good a season as he can and that will be the measure of his value, his most recent performance. There is only a conversation of a new deal if Jerry Jones feels like it. If Jerry Jones intends for Prescott to be the Dallas Cowboys’ quarterbckack beyond next season he’s going to initiate talks on a new deal while he’s the only team allowed to talk to him. In 12 months, all 32 teams can negotiate with him. You do the math.
Math = $60M

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Besides that - the QB situation for the division rivals is at best question marks:
a) Eagles - after just one season, another OC change...and is Kellen Moore + Jalen Hurts a good pairing?

b) Giants - Daniel Jones ACL injury occurred in week 9 (first Sunday in November), so he starts 2024 on the PUP list; does flash-in-pan Tommy DeVito rebound, or is it "deja vu all over again" NYG uses another overall no. 6 pick on a QB -- like they did 5 years ago with Jones?

c) Commanders- the new QB in DC - rookie Jayden Daniels or Drake Maye?

With Prescott still at the helm - despite the challenges at other positions to fill - the Cowboys probably the favorites to repeat as NFC East Champions.
By attrition not by improvement and therein lies the problem.

Jimbo69

Reaction score
Jerry has offered north of $55m. Dak will accept that. This is all smoke and mirrors. Bread and circuses.. Deal is probably already done. I just don't believe our GM and his boy. I don't believe they would not stick with Dak. They just haven't got the foresight, expertise or guts to change 30 years of failure. And for a team of such stature the last 30 years is failure. Only Washington of the esteemed teams have had a comparable record of failure and they have been run by an owner who was terrible (jerry is a fine owner btw).
Expect an announcement. But I hope I'm wrong.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Jerry has offered north of $55m. Dak will accept that. This is all smoke and mirrors. Bread and circuses.. Deal is probably already done. I just don't believe our GM and his boy. I don't believe they would not stick with Dak. They just haven't got the foresight, expertise or guts to change 30 years of failure. And for a team of such stature the last 30 years is failure. Only Washington of the esteemed teams have had a comparable record of failure and they have been run by an owner who was terrible (jerry is a fine owner btw).
Expect an announcement. But I hope I'm wrong.
This is the most likely scenario. Jerry isn't about to learn new tricks in the twilight days of his life. He is probably spending more time on his paternity headaches.