Jerry Jones Does Not Rule Out Not Extending Dak

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The Dak Prescott era in Dallas is very close to its end!
2 deadlines to keep an eye on if the extension isn't done
**before the start of free agency. When his huge cap hit the books. They would find other ways to meet the deadline. The new unexpected cap amount makes this a lot easier than originally expected.
**before the draft.......if they can't reach an agreement before the draft, his career as a Cowboys is probably closer to ending than not. Coz the draft will be the drop dead trade value for him. In other words, if there's no agreement or trade after the draft, he becomes a free agent at the end of the season and can walk w/o the Cowboys getting any compensation, meaning his trade value is dead. Bottom line......we are going to know lot about his Cowboy career over the next couple of months.

My guess.....if they can't reach an agreement before the draft, Dak and France will ask for a trade. Remember his goal is a new multi-year top 3 contract BEFORE the start of the season coz otherwise, it is a lame-duck year for only $34M.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
2 deadlines to keep an eye on if the extension isn't done
**before the start of free agency. When his huge cap hit the books. They would find other ways to meet the deadline. The new unexpected cap amount makes this a lot easier than originally expected.
**before the draft.......if they can't reach an agreement before the draft, his career as a Cowboys is probably closer to ending than not. Coz the draft will be the drop dead trade value for him. In other words, if there's no agreement or trade after the draft, he becomes a free agent at the end of the season and can walk w/o the Cowboys getting any compensation, meaning his trade value is dead. Bottom line......we are going to know lot about his Cowboy career over the next couple of months.

My guess.....if they can't reach an agreement before the draft, Dak and France will ask for a trade. Remember his goal is a new multi-year top 3 contract BEFORE the start of the season coz otherwise, it is a lame-duck year for only $34M.
Yep, it sounds as if Jerry's first decision (if he intends to try and play hardball), is what he does prior to 14rh March.
- which contracts he restructures to find $9m to get under the CAP (Dak's.....or preferably Martin, DLaw, Diggs... which will allow us to post June Dak later).
- whether we don't re-sign Biadasz and Tyron....if both leave then it's unlikely to improve the O-Line even if we used 1st and 2nd picks.
Just think France will win out .... and Jerry will capitulate

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Good Lord! There is another double negative in a thread title. You people are deliberately being hard to understand. :facepalm:

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Jerry is not a good poker player…unfortunately he will cave into Dak’s demands…if it were me I would tell Dak and his agent to seek a trade

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You got slammed badly didn't you with my response.
Now you resort to your nature which is insulative and inhuman.
Your misery shows bud.............
slammed LOL :lmao: :lmao:

you are a funny little boy.

me misrable? :laugh:

youwho can't stop thinking about Dak. he lives in your head rent free. every conversation always turns to Dak. you can't hold ANY OTHER CONVERSATIONS
you have not posted anything but DAK DAK DAK. wow... geez dude. get a life.

oh, look Grass is green....Pappy goes grass is green, sky is blue, dallas blue.. Dak
oh look at the cute little squirrel, pappy goes squirrels, running on grass, sky is blue, dallas blue... Dak
dak 24x7x60x60....every second of every day....dak dak dak....you have no life my friend. talk about misery.
have you ever posted anything but about Dak?

here is a napkin. go sit in the corner and wipe your tears.

:hammer:

IP IP IP ;)

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
All we can do is wait for Jerry ti retire and THAN hope for a change. Until then, ther is NOTHING to get truly excited about
Jerry will die before he retires and he intends to live to be over 100 plus.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dak most likely does not rule out pulling a Martin. Take all first team reps, then threaten to sit out until he gets an extension.

Call GM Jeruh's bluff and force them to start Trance.
All the more reason to have an open competition in camp.

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
Who do you think will blink first? France or Jones? France already knows what Dak is worth. That’s his job. If Jones disagrees with the amount it’s time to move on, immediately …before the $5 million roster bonus, due to Prescott in days. That way there is time to consider alternatives for QB1.
I agree w/ the move on part but that $5 million bonus should not be the red line.
If there is obtainable draft capital to be had then that $5 million will be money well spent.
Extra draft picks would be useful with the way this team's roster building is mostly through the draft.

Brax

Reaction score
Still a $59 million cap hit no matter how he gets it paid.
If he isn’t a a post June cut. Take the hit now and there’s a few ways to get under the cap with out any problems. Dak doesn’t produce a SB appearance MM and Dak are gone. The new HC and shouldn’t be burdened with a QB like Dak. Me I would do a post June cut save the money and let MM work that magic with TL you already know Daks ceiling

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he isn’t a a post June cut. Take the hit now and there’s a few ways to get under the cap with out any problems. Dak doesn’t produce a SB appearance MM and Dak are gone. The new HC and shouldn’t be burdened with a QB like Dak. Me I would do a post June cut save the money and let MM work that magic with TL you already know Daks ceiling
Either way Jerry is out $59 million. And what if Lance is not the answer.
You still have a very good team. So may as well get something for the cap hit this season.
We know Dak is good enough to get us to the playoffs, and probably win the division. Get to the playoffs and anything can happen. Yes it has not happened, but you truly never know.

Give me the playoffs and take that chance other than basically starting over. Not defensing Dak in this. But since Dak and MMand basically the entire coaching staff has this year to do something more. As they have a better chance then starting over basically. One more year of a winning season is worth it.

Brax

Reaction score
You still have a very good team. So may as well get something for the cap hit this season.
We know Dak is good enough to get us to the playoffs, and probably win the division. Get to the playoffs and anything can happen. Yes it has not happened, but you truly never know.

Give me the playoffs and take that chance other than basically starting over. Not defensing Dak in this. But since Dak and MMand basically the entire coaching staff has this year to do something more. As they have a better chance then starting over basically. One more year of a winning season is worth it.
Looks like a post June cut saves 34mill with 25 mill dead money, with the cut you will have the same basic team if TL isn’t the answer you are in a good position because you already know Daks ceiling and the magical playoff run isn’t going to happen based on past history 8 seasons to this point

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm telling ya, last seasons 20 picks then Daks TC performance sent red flags and got them moving on Lance. Even Jerry has caught on. Either Trey looks promising or we'll be drafting a honest to God QB next year!

Motorola

Reaction score

Besides that - the QB situation for the division rivals is at best question marks:
a) Eagles - after just one season, another OC change...and is Kellen Moore + Jalen Hurts a good pairing?

b) Giants - Daniel Jones ACL injury occurred in week 9 (first Sunday in November), so he starts 2024 on the PUP list; does flash-in-pan Tommy DeVito rebound, or is it "deja vu all over again" NYG uses another overall no. 6 pick on a QB -- like they did 5 years ago with Jones?

c) Commanders- the new QB in DC - rookie Jayden Daniels or Drake Maye?

With Prescott still at the helm - despite the challenges at other positions to fill - the Cowboys probably the favorites to repeat as NFC East Champions.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Besides that - the QB situation for the division rivals is at best question marks:
a) Eagles - after just one season, another OC change...and is Kellen Moore + Jalen Hurts a good pairing?

b) Giants - Daniel Jones ACL injury occurred in week 9 (first Sunday in November), so he starts 2024 on the PUP list; does flash-in-pan Tommy DeVito rebound, or is it "deja vu all over again" NYG uses another overall no. 6 pick on a QB -- like they did 5 years ago with Jones?

c) Commanders- the new QB in DC - rookie Jayden Daniels or Drake Maye?

With Prescott still at the helm - despite the challenges at other positions to fill - the Cowboys probably the favorites to repeat as NFC East Champions.
Good post.
Puts QB's in the NFCE in perspective. Too bad some will not see it that way.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You keep hoping bud as it's your right to do so with whatever logic works for you to keep you at peace of mind.
Dak Prescott has not earned the right to another contract by beating on Dog teams and failing his teammates and the fans come playoff time.
Patience as the pain that you will experience is on its way.
Why such a hoopla over Trey he isn't the only QB on the planet you know?
Jeez................... There are other options to find a true Franchise QB.
Heck even Rush went 5-1 now say that isn't so??????????????????????????????
GL man you will need it..............
You want to believe so bad that Cowboys fans are done with Dak. He was top 5 in Jersey sales.

So you keep hoping all you want, bud.

zekecowboy

Reaction score

Report: Cowboys' entire coaching staff on prove-it year in '24; Prescott extension 'far from a given'​

While chief operating officer Stephen Jones just this week reiterated the front office’s desire to keep quarterback Dak Prescott on the roster with a contract extension, Gehlken reports that such a negotiation coming to fruition this offseason is “far from a given.”

He explains:

“The Cowboys, in fact, could find some attraction in waiting until early next year despite the inability to place a franchise tag on Prescott. The NFL’s salary cap is not expected to jump next year as dramatically as it did recently when swelling from $224.8 million in 2023 to $255.4 million. There is some thought a Prescott extension this year would be more cumbersome on the 2025 cap than a 2025 deal.”

But team sources noted to Gehlken that if Prescott does, in fact, go on to play 2024 as a contract year, it would be “entirely coincidental” in relation to the prove-it status of McCarthy and his assistants, not part of some larger plan intentionally tying the MVP runner-up to the coaching staff.

The NFL season is still over six months away, but the stakes for the Cowboys may already be at an all-time high.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2024/02/29/coaching-staff-contract-year-dak-prescott-extension/

Toro9

Reaction score
You can't believe a damn word this man says. There's a reason he's a billionaire.