Jerry Jones Glad He’ll Have Chance To Benefit From Garrett’s Growth As Head Coach

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Well Jerry decided Jason was getting too much praise from the media .......

This gif is a perfect example of his reaction.

Cuban+pete+and+the+depressed+dobermans+just+type+sourceror+to_a1e6ee_5049765.gif

Jerryrage

Reaction score
This just drives me crazy, I am glad Garrett worked out, but we should not have had to endure a HC that took 3.5 years to "learn" on the job.
The Cowboys and their fans deserved better.
Was there not a HC 3.5 years ago that could have come in already seasoned ?

It's more than that, it's about him drafting the right players and coaching them up.

CCBoy

Reaction score
There should be a job description of a Cowboy fan that includes rudimentary intelligence features. Complaining about Jerry now, how much more preppie does it get?

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
This just drives me crazy, I am glad Garrett worked out, but we should not have had to endure a HC that took 3.5 years to "learn" on the job.

Landry also took a few years to start turning the corner (not saying he is the next Landry but the comparison is there) to me it's a good thing now maybe we a keep a coach for 10+ years... it's all about consistency

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
Jones should just shut his mouth on this topic. He undermines Jason every time he brings it up. It's idiotic.

That said, Jason did a great job with this team from the moment he took over, overall. He's had some obvious shortcomings along the way, but the focus and process (yes, process) and attention to detail have been obvious all along. It's taken time to replace missing talent, but he's done a good job of keeping us competitive during that time. It's a fairly short list of coaches who might have done better in the interim, and there's maybe nobody who'd have done better in the short term and still positioned us to be successful under Jerry down the road. Just my opinion.

Jerry doesn't understand "perception is reality."

CCBoy

Reaction score
It all goes back to JJohnson or even Tom Landry.

Tom Landry got an endorsement contract that solved his own confidence issues, from Murchison. And Murchison was the biggest 'playboy' going in that era.

But he had a weakness for the Cowboys, as does Jerry...and for the benefit of both the fan and the Cowboys.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
After winning last Sunday I was afraid Jerry would open his mouth this week.

I wonder what new revelation will come out next week after we beat the Packers?

Exactly...my only thoughts after reading this...just shut up and enjoy it, Jerry....you cant downplay everyones accomplishments that you need to resign...for twice as much now as you couldve at one time.

cml750

Reaction score
Well to all the people who said Jerry didn't really mean what he said about Garrett and OJT last year, there you go. A better, more experienced coach would of not made the idiotic game/clock management mistakes that kept us from making the playoffs three years running but I am starting to come around to Garrett. I am still not completely sold on him but winning will change that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think these 2 men (Jones and Garrett) have the ability to work close with one another, I am glad Jones did not get antsy and fire Garrett. I think there was some learning taking place but then learning is something we all do over the course of our life and I'm sure as time moves on Garrett will continue to learn based on different experiences. I also think part of the so called process he was implementing was weeding out individual and slowly rebuilding this team with players who have shown a different mindset and dedication to the game and to the team

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I watched Jason grow up and thrive this year as a walk around head coach. That was all I wanted to see if he could grow without all of the other duties as oc/hc being combined. Never wanted him gone for a minute.

If this is the recipe that works then YES ... I am all for it.

I changed my screen name for this man lol

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

I don't think it made much of a difference. We had a team of poorly developed talent from Wade. The well developed players were from Parcells and they were old and often injured. We also had a massive amount of injuries. In 2012 we went thru *six* different centers due to injuries. Not to mention the M*A*S*H unit on defense to the point where the D-Line injuries were causing us to have to find guys off the street and use them as starters.

Garrett was far from perfect, especially with neglecting the run and I think a better coach would have managed Romo better and gotten Romo to play more to his strengths more often.

But back in 2011 when Garrett was hired full time, your other HC's that were hired during that time were:

Ron Rivera
Pat Shurmur
John Fox
Leslie Frazier
Hue Jackson
Jim Harbaugh
Mike Munchak

I like Rivera, but he didn't have any 'seasoning' as a HC. He was a coordinator for the Bears and then the Chargers (and a real good one). But he didn't have actual HC experience.

Fox had 'seasoning', but I think it's safe to say that he wouldn't be where he is today if it weren't for Peyton Manning. And he came from Carolina which just came off a 2-14 season.

Other than that, the obvious one is Harbaugh. But, you're talking about 1 guy that had 'seasoning' (albeit college seasoning). So you're competing for one guy and sometimes you get beat out for that guy.

It also doesn't account for the team going from 1-7 under Wade to 5-3 (with 2 of the losses caused because Roy Williams just had to fall to the ground and the other because David Beuhler can't make a PAT). And that was done with Jon Kitna at QB. Tremendous turnaround and hard to deny when you're looking for a new HC.

The key here is that we have progressed tremendously as a team from when Garrett took over. We had to make a steady progression. Some coaches like Harbaugh can get their team to make huge strides. And while I'm a fan of Harbaugh, I think the Cowboys are in much better shape personnel wise right now than the Niners who have some questions on the O-Line, a real question at their QB position and an aging defense.

The big question now is if Garrett can sustain success. He doesn't have to go 12-4, again. But he should be able to show that he can get 10+ wins in a season. And then from there, we'll have to see how good he is at developing a QB that eventually replaces Romo.

YR

khiladi

Reaction score
Jerry has actually been rebuilding this team around Romo, not Garrett... That's why he's part of drawing up the game plans now and Linehan and him are giving direction to this offense.

This team is pretty much 8-8 because of Romo that last few years. It's a testimony to him. With more power being given to him, one sees how much better it could have been.

If Jerry doesn't have a QB after Romo, the long-term extension is going to look stupid.

khiladi

Reaction score
I don't think it made much of a difference. We had a team of poorly developed talent from Wade. The well developed players were from Parcells and they were old and often injured. We also had a massive amount of injuries. In 2012 we went thru *six* different centers due to injuries. Not to mention the M*A*S*H unit on defense to the point where the D-Line injuries were causing us to have to find guys off the street and use them as starters.

Nonsense attributing this to Wade. You neglect the fact the OL coach for Garrett was Hudson Houck, the guy he knew at both Dallas and Miami. The Cowboys were running a power-blocking scheme and looking for hefty lineman based on the offense Garrett wanted to run. Wade wanted Solari here. It was Callahan's hire in 2012, whom Garrett was rifitng with last year, that totally revamped the OL and running game, and blocking schemes. The drafting also went to quicker and thinner lineman. Attributing this to the process of Garrett is utter absurdity. Callahan wanted to walk last year, as even Stephen Jones admitted, but they refused.

Also, Wade wanted Dan Reeves her precisely to oversee this aspect, which was a clear flaw in Garrett's offensive approach. Jerry Jones did not allow this because of Garrett, as opposed to some time-clock issue. JJ was eventually forced into this situation when he went Callahan as OC and kept him here. What Jerry Jones has done in the last few years is exactly what Wade wanted done.

Even the switch to 4-3 was initiated by Lacewell, per his own words. Jerry is still listening to the people that surround him, like Lacewell.

And the only reason Garrett lasted so long is because he's on Jerry's team. He would have been fired like all the coaches listed above if one some other team. Nobody in reality looks at this team from outside and says, oh Garrett. They look at this team and say things like Scott Linehan.

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...20100913-Moore-Wade-Phillips-says-he-1803.ece

Wade was more than graceful for the horrific play-calling. And Jerry has essentially done what he needed to do a long time ago.

Last edited:

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Nonsense attributing this to Wade. You neglect the fact the OL coach for Garrett was Hudson Houck, the guy he knew at both Dallas and Miami. The Cowboys were running a power-blocking scheme and looking for hefty lineman based on the offense Garrett wanted to run. Wade wanted Solari here.

I can't blame a coach for wanting to go with another coach that he knows well.

It wasn't like Houck didn't have credentials. Joe Gibbs has said that Houck was a HoF O-Line coach.

It was Callahan's hire in 2012, whom Garrett was rifitng with last year

They rifted over the playcalling. Especially after the KC game where we threw the ball 51 times on 60 plays. Garrett wanted to get into a zone blocking scheme since Houck's philosophy is considered more passé now. But, it wasn't considered passé back in '07 when Houck was brought back to the team (and we had a good O-Line that year). We also have more talent on the O-Line as only Leonard Davis was a former 1st round on the '07 line. Now we have 3 first rounders.

Attributing this to the process of Garrett is utter absurdity.

Sorry, but it's not.

I think it's clear that Garrett wanted a different O-Line when he became the HC. It was clear that he really didn't like Andre Gurode at center and immediately replaced him with Phil Costa. When Costa didn't work out, we got Frederick. And the 1st draft pick of the Garrett era was....Tyron Smith. F

Callahan wanted to walk last year, as even Stephen Jones admitted, but they refused.

He wanted to walk because of the play calling duties. I don't think anybody here is denying that Callahan is a great O-Line coach.

Jerry Jones did not allow this because of Garrett, as opposed to some time-clock issue. JJ was eventually forced into this situation when he went Callahan as OC and kept him here. What Jerry Jones has done in the last few years is exactly what Wade wanted done.

Wade wanted Brian Stewart to be the D-Coordinator and call the plays. And he was a joke.

Wade is not a good developer of talent. He's a great X's and O's guy, but over time he does not develop talent well and it catches up to the organization. This happened in Denver and Buffalo and just happened in Dallas.

There was no doubt that Mike Jenkins had talent. The USF coaches specifically told the Cowboys good kid and a good athlete, but you have to stay on him or you'll lose him. Wade didn't stay on him and he crapped out on us.

Jason Hatcher became a great player while he was a marginal backup under Wade.

Anthony Spencer's best years came without Wade. As was shown in Hard Knocks, Spencer misses a rehab and all Wade did was give him a marginal fine. In 2010, Spencer would consistently freelance and lose his gap control in hopes of making a big play. It killed the team during the 1-7 games under Wade. To the pont where opponents would run right at Spencer at critical moments and he would leave a gaping hole to where he was supposed to be.

When Garrett became the interim coach, that *immediately* stopped from Spencer.

All of the things Wade wanted to do are for not if the players won't do them because they don't take the HC seriously. They take Garrett seriously and that's why we don't see anymore of the Mike Jenkins, Andre Gurodes and freelancing Anthony Spencer's of the world on this team. They know better now.

Even the switch to 4-3 was initiated by Lacewell, per his own words. Jerry is still listening to the people that surround him, like Lacewell.

Jerry never said that.

Instead, Garrett stated that in today's NFL with there being less practice time that there was a greater chance for injury and you needed to have the 'next man up' mentality and he wanted a 4-3 scheme because it was much simpler than a complex 3-4 scheme. If you have to move a backup into a starter's role, they need to know the defense.

It was Lacewell who praised the decision to go to the 4-3 and for Lacewell it was more about hiring Kiffin who Lacewell admired. I don't think Lacewell was involved in the decision....I think Garrett wanted to get out of the 4-3 because he's a Nick Saban disciple and Saban plays a very bland scheme which focuses on not making mistakes. And I think when Garrett wanted to go to the 4-3, what tipped Jerry over was Lacewell being all for it if Kiffin was coming here.

And the only reason Garrett lasted so long is because he's on Jerry's team. He would have been fired like all the coaches listed above if one some other team. Nobody in reality looks at this team from outside and says, oh Garrett. They look at this team and say things like Scott Linehan.

Yup, he would have been fired if you were the owner and your team would still stink. Instead, we kept Garrett around and we are now 12-4 with a playoff win and the team is extremely young and is in the best shape it has been in over 20 years.

I like Linehan and all, but if he was so great, he would not have been let go by the Lions. And he could have formed better offense with the Rams and the Vikings.

It was Jerry that wanted the HC to call plays, after being initially burned by *Wade* who didn't want to call plays and had Brian Stewart call plays and Stewart was a complete flop. Jerry then realized that there's no reason you can't be a 'walk around coach' and be successful and we finally found the right play caller and the right coaches. But, it was Garrett that wanted Linehan and Callahan (as the O-Line coach).

YR

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well to all the people who said Jerry didn't really mean what he said about Garrett and OJT last year, there you go. A better, more experienced coach would of not made the idiotic game/clock management mistakes that kept us from making the playoffs three years running but I am starting to come around to Garrett. I am still not completely sold on him but winning will change that.

I can't recall anybody ever trying to say "Jerry didn't mean it" regarding his quote. The questions were all about the context or about why Jerry would say something so foolish.