Jerry Jones Glad He’ll Have Chance To Benefit From Garrett’s Growth As Head Coach

khiladi

Reaction score
I can't blame a coach for wanting to go with another coach that he knows well.

It wasn't like Houck didn't have credentials. Joe Gibbs has said that Houck was a HoF O-Line coach.

It was the only coach Garrett knew, which is why he brought him in.

They rifted over the playcalling. Especially after the KC game where we threw the ball 51 times on 60 plays. Garrett wanted to get into a zone blocking scheme since Houck's philosophy is considered more passé now. But, it wasn't considered passé back in '07 when Houck was brought back to the team (and we had a good O-Line that year). We also have more talent on the O-Line as only Leonard Davis was a former 1st round on the '07 line. Now we have 3 first rounders.

So Garrett wanted Houck in 2007. And they drafted accordingly, if we assume your point, which means whatever they drafted was in line with the philosophy of Garrett. They didn't change coaches and schemes until Houck RETIRED. And Wade wanted Solari, a zone-blocking coach in 2007. Are you saying Solari wasn't a HOF coach either that Jason couldn't choose a zone-blocking scheme that you claim he wanted and contrary to what he learned with his whole life?

Cool story bro..

That's what you call 'process'? Switching to an entirely different scheme, of which Garrett could have started with from the beginning and drafted accordingly? He had no problems getting Felix Jones. He had no problems getting Roy Williams to help out his ailing offense. Let me guess, that was all Wade.

Sorry, but it's not.

I think it's clear that Garrett wanted a different O-Line when he became the HC. It was clear that he really didn't like Andre Gurode at center and immediately replaced him with Phil Costa. When Costa didn't work out, we got Frederick. And the 1st draft pick of the Garrett era was....Tyron Smith.

He also drafted Claiborne and Garrett has said countless times that the philosophy of drafting is BPA and they fill needs via free agency. He said that Smith himself was an exception to the rule, the very year they chose Claiborne. And that isn't even really an excuse because Tyron Smith was considered potentially one of the most dominant OL coming out in years. He was the BPA and Jerry was looking for somebody to protect Romo's blind side, because Flozell Adams was moving on.

Hell, Frederik wasn't even him, but they were intent on taking Floyd as even Stephen Jones, Garrett's biggest supporter, flat out said. But Jerry over-ruled last minute because of Marinelli and that ended up them taking Frederik, which you admit was because of Callahan and his ties to Wisconsin.

He wanted to walk because of the play calling duties. I don't think anybody here is denying that Callahan is a great O-Line coach.

He wanted to walk because it was an insult. And Jerry himself stated emphatically that Garrett by default was calling the plays last year, meaning he couldn't let play-calling go. Jerry didn't let him walk.

Wade wanted Brian Stewart to be the D-Coordinator and call the plays. And he was a joke.

Because he wanted to be a HC and oversee the team, which Jerry Jones didn't afford him, but is allowing Garrett too now. Notice the double-standard hypocrisy. Jerry Jones can train Garrett, but Stewart can't be trained with one of the greatest DC ever above him can do the job? They weren't that bad with Stewart and Wade was there in a position to actually oversee him. Nobody was there for Garrett until Garrett forced Jerry's hand.

Wade is not a good developer of talent. He's a great X's and O's guy, but over time he does not develop talent well and it catches up to the organization. This happened in Denver and Buffalo and just happened in Dallas.

How does a team that has no talent go on to win the SB next year or so with Denver? After Shanahan's real stamp on personnel, they were just an average team. Buffalo has struggled ever since Wade left. Dan Reeves called him on the best personnel men he ever worked with and when he was coaching the DL at Philadelphia, that was an era of Jerome Brown, Reggie White and Clyde Simmons. He also drafted JJ Watt, who by far is the greatest defensive player the NFL has seen in ages. What are you talking about?

When Garrett became the interim coach, that *immediately* stopped from Spencer.

LOL. Spencer was injured the majority of time Wade was here and when he played, he was a run-stopping beast. His best year, when he was potentially the MVP, was with Rob Ryan, whom was fired and Garrett said the reason being, they didn't create TOs.

Jerry never said that.

Instead, Garrett stated that in today's NFL with there being less practice time that there was a greater chance for injury and you needed to have the 'next man up' mentality and he wanted a 4-3 scheme because it was much simpler than a complex 3-4 scheme. If you have to move a backup into a starter's role, they need to know the defense.

It was Lacewell who praised the decision to go to the 4-3 and for Lacewell it was more about hiring Kiffin who Lacewell admired. I don't think Lacewell was involved in the decision....I think Garrett wanted to get out of the 4-3 because he's a Nick Saban disciple and Saban plays a very bland scheme which focuses on not making mistakes. And I think when Garrett wanted to go to the 4-3, what tipped Jerry over was Lacewell being all for it if Kiffin was coming here.

Larry Lacewell flat out said it was his decision and he can be blamed. But he won't be blamed for the injuries they had last year. Switching to a 4-3 is what you call process?

Yup, he would have been fired if you were the owner and your team would still stink. Instead, we kept Garrett around and we are now 12-4 with a playoff win and the team is extremely young and is in the best shape it has been in over 20 years.

Garrett has been here for over 8 years. This is the era of free agency. The Cardinals went from suckage to a major player in one season, threatening in the play-offs.

I like Linehan and all, but if he was so great, he would not have been let go by the Lions. And he could have formed better offense with the Rams and the Vikings

Did you see the numbers he put up with the Vikings and the Lions? Countless good coaches are let go. Did you see what Garrett has done without Linehan? Oh, let me guess. That's personnel.

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It was the only coach Garrett knew, which is why he brought him in.

So Garrett wanted Houck in 2007. And they drafted accordingly, if we assume your point, which means whatever they drafted was in line with the philosophy of Garrett. They didn't change coaches and schemes until Houck RETIRED. And Wade wanted Solari, a zone-blocking coach in 2007. That's what you call 'process'? Switching to an entirely different scheme.

And the reason we have talent is because of Callahan.

He also drafted Claiborne and Garrett has said countless times that the philosophy of drafting is BPA and they fill needs via free agency. He said that Smith himself was an exception to the rule, the very year they chose Claiborne. And that isn't even really an excuse because Tyron Smith was considered potentially one of the most dominant OL coming out in years.

He wanted to walk because it was an insult. And Jerry himself stated emphatically that Garrett by default was calling the plays last year, meaning he couldn't let play-calling go. Jerry didn't let him walk.

Because he wanted to be a HC and oversee the team, which Jerry Jones didn't afford him, but is allowing Garrett too now. Notice the double-standard hypocrisy. Jerry Jones can train Garrett, but Stewart can't be trained with one of the greatest DC ever above him can do the job? They weren't that bad with Stewart and Wade was there in a position to actually oversee him. Nobody was there for Garrett until Garrett forced Jerry's hand.

How does a team that has no talent go on to win the SB next year? Buffalo has struggled ever since Wade left.
ate

LOL. Spencer was injured the majority of time Wade was here and when he played, he was a run-stopping beast. His best year, when he was potentially the MVP, was with Rob Ryan, whom was fired and Garrett said the reason being, they didn't create TOs.

Larry Lacewell flat out said it was his decision and he can be blamed. But he won't be blamed for the injuries they had last year. Switching to a 4-3 is what you call process?

Garrett has been here for over 8 years. This is the era of free agency.

Did you see the numbers he put up with the Vikings and the Lions? Countless good coaches are let go. Did you see what Garrett has done without Linehan? Oh, let me guess. That's personnel.

and so you think Jason has done nothing in Dallas, has no part in what is going on? I know you do care for him that is fine that is your opinion, but he is the HC of the Dallas Cowboys he will be extended by the organization who think very highly of him and his ability as a HC. So really all you have is sour grapes enjoy it

khiladi

Reaction score
BTW, Jim Garrett, just like Larry Lacewell has been the chiefs in personnel with Stephen Jones since 2007. The reasons Jerry has kept Jason Garrett around and even hired him isn't simply because of his alleged brilliance.

I guess Jim Garrett, the one that was madly in love with Drew Henson, has less influence on Jerry Jones than Jason Garrett and Jason Garrett is the only one that could come along and change Jerry Jones way of thinking. It's not like Jason Garrett followed his father around wherever he went either throughout his career.

This claim of Jason Garrett radically changing Jerry's Jones way of 'doing business', especially when his father is in the inner circle and has been for over twenty years, is just comical.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BTW, Jim Garrett, just like Larry Lacewell has been the chiefs in personnel with Stephen Jones since 2007. The reasons Jerry has kept Jason Garrett around and even hired him isn't simply because of his alleged brilliance.

I guess Jim Garrett, the one that was madly in love with Drew Henson, has less influence on Jerry Jones than Jason Garrett and Jason Garrett is the only one that could come along and change Jerry Jones way of thinking. It's not like Jason Garrett followed his father around wherever he went either throughout his career.

This claim of Jason Garrett radically changing Jerry's Jones way of 'doing business', especially when his father is in the inner circle and has been for over twenty years, is just comical.

So again in your view what does Garrett do? You seem to think he has nothing to do with the team in any shape or form. He has nothing to do with players, play calling or any other aspect so what does Jason Garrett do in your opinion?

cml750

Reaction score
I can't recall anybody ever trying to say "Jerry didn't mean it" regarding his quote. The questions were all about the context or about why Jerry would say something so foolish.

Okay, you have stated he was taken out of "context" anytime someone brings up what Jerry said last year. Apparently he was not taken out of "context" last year when he has now reaffirmed what he said. Is that better? Now if Jerry should have admitted to the media what was obviously the truth is another question but it does not make what he said any less the truth!!!

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
if Garrett wins 2 or more superbowls in the next 10 years...I'll change my idea of him. Until then, he's in the way.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay, you have stated he was taken out of "context" anytime someone brings up what Jerry said last year. Apparently he was not taken out of "context" last year when he has now reaffirmed what he said. Is that better? Now if Jerry should have admitted to the media what was obviously the truth is another question but it does not make what he said any less the truth!!!

It's not any better because the context is still the same, right? You guys keep wanting to pretend the idea was to train Garrett to the point where he was capable of doing his job. The reality is, head coaches capable of building a team capable of contending for championships don't grow on trees. You can't find them lying around on the street. So, if you want one, you have to develop one.

Either way, the context from his comments last year and this year is the same. That doesn't mean he's any less foolish for bringing it up in either case. It hurts your coach's authority when you make repeated public reference to his maturation process. It's also guaranteed to to set a subset of our fans to howling again, which also isn't particularly helpful. And it gains the team nothing. If I'm Garrett, I just smile and add numbers to my next contract expectation as part of the premium for dealing with Jerry Jones' enormous and misguided ego. This stuff would drive me up the wall.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
if Garrett wins 2 or more superbowls in the next 10 years...I'll change my idea of him. Until then, he's in the way.

With all due respect, but by the time he wins two more hypothetical Super Bowls, it's not really going to matter if a few stragglers are ready to then climb aboard his bandwagon. At that point not only is the culture set and the quality of the roster already improved, we'd have been reaping the benefits of all that stuff for years. If you want to think that we somehow get to a first hypothetical Super Bowl win with a head coach who's in the way, well, more power to you. But this league is too competitive. It doesn't work like that in the NFL. You typically don't even get to the playoffs if you don't have a coach who knows what he's doing.

Last edited:

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
With all due respect, but they time he wins two more hypothetical Super Bowls, it's not really going to matter if a few stragglers are ready to then climb aboard his bandwagon. At that point not only is the culture set and the quality of the roster already improved, we'd have been reaping the benefits of all that stuff for years. If you want to think that we somehow get to a first hypothetical Super Bowl win with a head coach who's in the way, well, more power to you. But this league is too competitive. It doesn't work like that in the NFL. You typically don't even get to the playoffs if you don't have a coach who knows what he's doing.

It happens...just like it happens with junk QB's winning.

You think John Fox is really that good? Or what about Tony Dungy? I like Tony as a person...but I sure wouldnt want him anywhere near my team's HC position.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It happens...just like it happens with junk QB's winning.

You think John Fox is really that good? Or what about Tony Dungy? I like Tony as a person...but I sure wouldnt want him anywhere near my team's HC position.

Not a *huge* fan of either guy, but Dungy won a Super Bowl, and Fox has taken two different teams to a Super Bowl, and DC'd a third. Any standard that doesn't consider him a good coach is unrealistic, as far as I'm concerned. Fans like to point to Peyton Manning and say that's how Fox got to the big game with Denver, but there's more to it than that.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Not a *huge* fan of either guy, but Dungy won a Super Bowl, and Fox has taken two different teams to a Super Bowl, and DC'd a third. Any standard that doesn't consider him a good coach is unrealistic, as far as I'm concerned. Fans like to point to Peyton Manning and say that's how Fox got to the big game with Denver, but there's more to it than that.

or barry switzer lol