Jerry Jones has more leverage than the media and fans think he has

Flamma

Reaction score
Hard to win games with just a few Superstars, rookies and UDFA's.
That's why we haven't. We win games, but are rarely true contenders. We have to go back to 2007, 2014, and 2016. No other time did we have a shot since 1995. But it's not a bad approach. You can't pay that many second tier players and still pay the top players. You pay those at the top, and keep the rest of the team as cheap as possible. Think about it. If they draft another DT, how much of a downgrade is he going to be than Osa? He may even be an upgrade. And you're paying rookie prices.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe just maybe because of what Jerry and Stephen keep saying. Maybe because Jerry is negotiating.

Dak is the one that will say bye. When it happens you can believe it was Jerry's decision.

That fact that Jerry has no replacement plan, tells you all you need to know. Trance is not a plan.
Jerry will make that decision, not Dak. By not offering another contract nor caving in. It is on Jerry.
Trey is a plan. and It starts today at 3:30 CST.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Jerry will make that decision, not Dak. By not offering another contract nor caving in. It is on Jerry.
Trey is a plan. and It starts today at 3:30 CST.
But Jerry and Stephen continue to say that they want Dak and continue to negotiate, but you go ahead and keep believing that.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think people will be surprised what Dak signs for. He will pick the team he believes gives him the best chance of winning in the future.

He does not want to sign with a team that pays him the most, to then have to carry the team.
Dak can’t carry a team. that has been proven time and time again.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I really don't care who is being greedy between the Jones family and the players.

I said months ago I felt like Jerry may be doing a soft-reset of the salary cap to get out from under all of the dead money.

The hints of this have been everywhere because he chose to bring back McCarthy but not extend him despite him only having one year remaining on his current contract.

He could have easily extended Dak and Lamb before the salary cap increased or at least before other players in their respective positions signed new market-setting contracts.

The fact he didn't shows he is prepared to take a hit in 2024 to reset things.

As for leverage, I have read everywhere in the media and from many Cowboys fans how the players have all of the leverage, but this is simply not true.

What many people fail to consider is that Jerry is using the leverage he has (and he has a lot actually) to either get the deals he wants (and not just about money) or he gets his fallback plan with a reset year for the salary cap.

Everyone also assumes the contract delay is about money, and that is probably part of it, but there could be other sticking points as well.

For example, Dak/Lamb and their agents may want shorter contracts than the Cowboys do because they believe the salary cap will increase considerably in the next 2-3 years and they want to be able to capitalize on it.

They may also want longer contracts than the Cowboys want to give.

Beyond that, Dak currently has "no trade" and "no franchise tag" clauses in his contract and he may want both of those again in any new contract and Jerry may not want to do that a second time.

Lamb may want those clauses as well and Jerry does not want to offer them.

The truth is we fans and the media do not have all of the information.

Too many people assume it's all about money and greed (who to blame depends on which side you support), but the truth is the sticky points may not be money-related, at least not yearly average amounts.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and, more importantly, if any details of the sticking points get leaked as frustration grows on one of the sides between the team and the players/agents.
Very good points! After seeing the way this is playing out for Dak all these players may want those clauses put in their contract and have it short.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I think people will be surprised what Dak signs for. He will pick the team he believes gives him the best chance of winning in the future.

He does not want to sign with a team that pays him the most, to then have to carry the team.
I actually think Dak would prefer the big money and a team that doesn't make the playoffs. The pressure is so bad in the playoffs it really gets to him.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
Honestly wouldn't mind if we traded CD for a bunch of picks and let Dak go. Look at how the Texans, Bears, and other teams have rebuilt their teams around rookie contract QBs. They are prime and ready to win now because of that. What's worse a 12-5 season and losing in the wildcard, or going 4-13 and getting great draft picks?
Imo 4-13 is no fun at all. Jerruh can turn those great draft picks into average players.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I actually think Dak would prefer the big money and a team that doesn't make the playoffs. The pressure is so bad in the playoffs it really gets to him.
The pressure of carrying a non complimentary football team is real. That's why having a real GM is critical.