Jerry Jones has more leverage than the media and fans think he has

Chasing6

Reaction score
I don't understand why they're not signing CD. Same stuff in SF with Aiyuk. Usually these situations end with a player being signed or traded. I would like to see what happens if the owners call their bluff.
Niners are in SB win now mode. They are better off keeping Aiyuk and tagging him, if they can't come to an agreement.

Jerry can't seem to make up his mind on whether he wants to compete for a SB or rebuild. Again he is comfortable hanging out at the rim.

He is also playing games between teammates. He wants Dak to take less, so we can sign CD and vice versa.

Dak and CD both will not perform at the same level without each other.

Question really becomes does Dak believe he is better off somewhere other than Dallas? I think Dak wants to test FA no matter what Jerry has to offer.

Flamma

Reaction score
Niners are in SB win now mode. They are better off keeping Aiyuk and tagging him, if they can't come to an agreement.

Jerry can't seem to make up his mind on whether he wants to compete for a SB or rebuild. Again he is comfortable hanging out at the rim.

He is also playing games between teammates. He wants Dak to take less, so we can sign CD and vice versa.

Dak and CD both will not perform at the same level without each other.

Question really becomes does Dak believe he is better off somewhere other than Dallas? I think Dak wants to test FA no matter what Jerry has to offer.
I think San Fran just wants him to play out the last year of his contract. They're not tagging him next year. They already drafted his replacement.

I don't even want to guess what Jerry is thinking anymore.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I think San Fran just wants him to play out the last year of his contract. They're not tagging him next year. They already drafted his replacement.

I don't even want to guess what Jerry is thinking anymore.
His replacement has been injured. So that brings him back to the table. If they offered him $26M, it would not be much different than tagging him next year.

Flamma

Reaction score
His replacement has been injured. So that brings him back to the table. If they offered him $26M, it would not be much different than tagging him next year.
It's different because his cap hits wouldn't be 26M. Wouldn't be that high for 3-4 seasons down the road. You don't want a 26M dollar cap hit.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It's different because his cap hits wouldn't be 26M. Wouldn't be that high for 3-4 seasons down the road. You don't want a 26M dollar cap hit.
Ok. If you push it down the road that means it will be $40M+ down the road.

How do you think Dak became $55M CPA hit this year on a $40M/$160M for a 4 year contract and we still owe $40M next year?

That means GM Jerhro decided to only pay $65M over the first 3 years or an average of less than $22M per year.

Flamma

Reaction score
Ok. If you push it down the road that means it will be $40M+ down the road.

How do you think Dak became $55M CPA hit this year on a $40M/$160M for a 4 year contract and we still owe $40M next year?

That means GM Jerhro decided to only pay $65M over the first 3 years or an average of less than $22M per year.
Don't try to compare Dak's to Lamb. It's better to compare Lamb to Jefferson. Dak had no rookie years left, that makes the contract worse from the get go. Then they pushed money forward every year. We're trying to avoid that.

Jefferson
2024 - 8.5M
2025 - 15.3M
2026 - 39M

This offers low cap hits now. That's what you want. The higher cap hits happen after the salary cap went up 2 and 3 times. By that time, DLaw, Zach Martin, and their cap hits probably won't be with us.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Don't try to compare Dak's to Lamb. It's better to compare Lamb to Jefferson. Dak had no rookie years left, that makes the contract worse from the get go. Then they pushed money forward every year. We're trying to avoid that.

Jefferson
2024 - 8.5M
2025 - 15.3M
2026 - 39M

This offers low cap hits now. That's what you want. The higher cap hits happen after the salary cap went up 2 and 3 times. By that time, DLaw, Zach Martin, and their cap hits probably won't be with us.
You can not have 3 players with low cap hits now and 3 large hits at the same time in the future.

Flamma

Reaction score
You can not have 3 players with low cap hits now and 3 large hits at the same time in the future.
You're absolutely right. That's why these deals are problematic. That's why teams like to stagger contracts. If Dak and Lamb get signed, they basically have to wait until next year for Parsons. We'll see.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You're absolutely right. That's why these deals are problematic. That's why teams like to stagger contracts. If Dak and Lamb get signed, they basically have to wait until next year for Parsons. We'll see.
If they can't sign Dak, I don't see the point in signing Lamb. They need someone to trade to get draft capital to be able to draft a QB in the future.

Flamma

Reaction score
If they can't sign Dak, I don't see the point in signing Lamb. They need someone to trade to get draft capital to be able to draft a QB in the future.
That might be the holdup. But we don't know. On the Doomsday Podcast Stephen left no doubt that they had 0 plans of trading him. And that they had a tag available if need be.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Jefferson
2024 - 8.5M
2025 - 15.3M
2026 - 39M

yeah but you'll have Tyler Smith, Osa, Bland

Chasing6

Reaction score
That might be the holdup. But we don't know. On the Doomsday Podcast Stephen left no doubt that they had 0 plans of trading him. And that they had a tag available if need be.
Too late to trade him this year. Tag sign or trade him next year before the draft.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Tyler Smith in 2 years. Osa and Bland will be gone. Osa isn't a top market value player anyway. But I doubt they keep him.
Most likely keep him because he is not a top market player. Can't afford top market players at every position.

Flamma

Reaction score
Most likely keep him because he is not a top market player. Can't afford top market players at every position.
Agree. But they won't. After awhile you get the idea of how Jerry operates. There's a pattern. If you're not a top market player and you play out your entire contract, you're usually gone. I guess he figures he can be replaced. We saw a whole bunch of them leave this offseason.

That's how you keep most top market players. Keep replacing the others for players on rookie deals.

jay94

Reaction score
His only leverage is to sprout interest in the media to a vastly overhyped team for years, this year it won't work.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Agree. But they won't. After awhile you get the idea of how Jerry operates. There's a pattern. If you're not a top market player and you play out your entire contract, you're usually gone. I guess he figures he can be replaced. We saw a whole bunch of them leave this offseason.

That's how you keep most top market players. Keep replacing the others for players on rookie deals.
No not a pattern a pattern you want to isolate but when you look at some of the smaller signings would be Hooker, Wilson, and Kearse all safeties but they're not stars in this league they're just really good players solid tier two players that contribute to this team...also Id add he resigned Jlewis definitely not tier 1 starter but great role player. Overpaid Gallup not top market player you will argue he is but it wont make it true..

I'll finish with all teams do this you have to make a decision on who to keep who not to keep who they think is more replaceable than they go in the draft and sometimes you can bring in Tier 2 type free agents to fill in where you let those guys go because you should not overpay for tier two guys but if they will sign for reasonable contracts then you keep them and I just showed you a nice list up there and they did keep them... I mean I'll try to think of others but it's easy when I can get a handful of them just to show you that you're actually wrong just because they do it sometimes does that make it a pattern.... The fact is some of those guys we left like Connor McGovern and Connor Williams and other guys like him we already had guys on this team that could replace them...bass and Hoffman showed enough to make that happen. its a shell game juggling the cap to get 63 to fit in..

Chasing6

Reaction score

Hard to win games with just a few Superstars, rookies and UDFA's.