Jerry Jones has more leverage than the media and fans think he has

NoFurtherQuestions

Reaction score
Honestly wouldn't mind if we traded CD for a bunch of picks and let Dak go. Look at how the Texans, Bears, and other teams have rebuilt their teams around rookie contract QBs. They are prime and ready to win now because of that. What's worse a 12-5 season and losing in the wildcard, or going 4-13 and getting great draft picks?
When people say Jerry doesn't care about winning that's not entirely true. He cares in that he can't stand the team being a below 500 team. Getting into the playoffs and hoping for the best is the organization's philosophy

All this talk of trading all our top players and rebuilding is hilarious. As if that moron Jerry and this organization are even remotely close to being capable of doing a rebuild in the modern NFL like that lmao. When was the last time we drafted a QB in the 1st round?

Jerry doesn't have much time left and he knows it. Say what you want about Dak but he is Jerry's last chance to prove he can win a Super Bowl without Jimmy. Dak has the leverage here

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Nice definition. I’ve said this earlier in the offseason and in other threads but in any relationship the one who has the power is the one that can walk away first.

The person who has the real “leverage” in this situation is the one that can walk away from the other one. If Jerry does not believe in Dak anymore then he has the leverage. If Jerry can envision the future without Dak then Jerry has leverage or power because Jerry can not be coerced into paying Dak big money.

I don’t know what’s going on but I don’t think it’s about money. Jerry has money and so does Dak. So the question in my mind if what’s the problem? Length of contract? Language of contract? Contract clauses? Belief in the player? Future of the team?

If it was just money then it would be done IMO.
Veteran quarterback coming off his best season, he’s an unrestricted free agent in 31 weeks, I doubt there is any back and forth. France has certainly informed Jerry Jones what it will have to be to sign Dak. Jerry apparently is not comfortable with it. Time to start considering what to do at quarterback after this season. Or perhaps even this season.

NoFurtherQuestions

Reaction score
Agreed, but the players definitely are being greedy. Too obvious and so many hints.
Why shouldn't they try and get what they are worth in their short lived fields?

Why should they take a pay cut for this organization especially? Because Jerry hasn't shown himself for being a greedy SOS himself? Because the brains trust of Jerry & Stephen have prove they know how to put that extra cap space to good use?

HonoluluCowboy

Reaction score
Dak has all the leverage, with a no trade clause and no option to tag him.

CD is a different story. CD will cave in at some point and play this year with or without a new contract.

Why list or even mention what Dak or CD want if Jerry has all the leverage. If Jerry has all the leverage why are they both not signed?

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Blowing up you team that has been 12-5 for the last 3 years to become 5-12 is not leverage.

Nobody who owns a business cedes control to any employee , regardless of what they bring . You my friend have NO idea what your talking about . As its obvious you dont own a business

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Nobody who owns a business cedes control to any employee , regardless of what they bring . You my friend have NO idea what your talking about . As its obvious you dont own a business
He is a 49'er troll...I know his game.

plymkr

Reaction score
I'm sure they have a number they are comfortable renewing Dak at and one they don't. What that # is, who knows? They could be so far apart that the divorce is mutually agreed upon already.
I agree. I think if Dak is saying 60-62 and Jones is saying 55-56 firm then it’s over. My hunch is it’s not about money, my hunch is it’s about control. The last contract Jerry gave Dak unprecedented control with the NTC, NFC and he told the behavior clause out. I don’t remember any Cowboy player in any era winning in every aspect of the contract like Dak did. And all Jerry got was a WC win. My prediction/hunch is the divorce will happen due to control and Jerry wanting some control back. And secondly I think Jerry lost some faith in him after the GB loss. So Jerry has some doubt of what Dak can do in the post season and Jerry wants some control back are my thoughts on why an extension isn’t done.

plymkr

Reaction score
of course it is, because it helps with YOUR point, which is to say how bad the GM is. But if it was the other way around, Im sure youd be saying who cares about those appearances... its all about titles.
I agree. It is all about titles. The only good thing about our Super Bowl drought is the 49ers’ drought is longer.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Let me start by saying I really don't care who is being greedy between the Jones family and the players.

I said months ago I felt like Jerry may be doing a soft-reset of the salary cap to get out from under all of the dead money.

The hints of this have been everywhere because he chose to bring back McCarthy but not extend him despite him only having one year remaining on his current contract.

He could have easily extended Dak and Lamb before the salary cap increased or at least before other players in their respective positions signed new market-setting contracts.

The fact he didn't shows he is prepared to take a hit in 2024 to reset things.

As for leverage, I have read everywhere in the media and from many Cowboys fans how the players have all of the leverage, but this is simply not true.

What many people fail to consider is that Jerry is using the leverage he has (and he has a lot actually) to either get the deals he wants (and not just about money) or he gets his fallback plan with a reset year for the salary cap.

Everyone also assumes the contract delay is about money, and that is probably part of it, but there could be other sticking points as well.

For example, Dak/Lamb and their agents may want shorter contracts than the Cowboys do because they believe the salary cap will increase considerably in the next 2-3 years and they want to be able to capitalize on it.

They may also want longer contracts than the Cowboys want to give.

Beyond that, Dak currently has "no trade" and "no franchise tag" clauses in his contract and he may want both of those again in any new contract and Jerry may not want to do that a second time.

Lamb may want those clauses as well and Jerry does not want to offer them.

The truth is we fans and the media do not have all of the information.

Too many people assume it's all about money and greed (who to blame depends on which side you support), but the truth is the sticky points may not be money-related, at least not yearly average amounts.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and, more importantly, if any details of the sticking points get leaked as frustration grows on one of the sides between the team and the players/agents.
he has all the leverage. dak has proven he can play good enough to be pretty good. but never good enough to be one of the highest paid at his position.

stats are pretty. you can shine them up and make them say many things. some good, some bad, but they're typical of statistics. as my gov teacher said in high school, quoting someone else i know - "there are lies, there are damn lies, and there are statistics".

it rang home that you make pull the stats you want and lob numbers at people and they'd rather go "oh, ok...yea" than sift through them to find what matters.

jones has given dak every chance. he's giving him 1 more and calling it a day. a blind man can see that at this point. dak either wins the superbowl this year and earns the payday or he goes and the cowboys not only are in the market for a new team, but with a few good moves, can afford a rebuild.

however, jones has handicapped dak as well. fair or not, that's life. no proven RB who can handle the load right now and hey - we got a stat back there with zeke. we don't have a solid player we can count on to be a game breaker, but we have history and with any luck, maybe a salvation army moment in the making.

but that's all we'll see from zeke.

with no solid ground attack, zimmer zimming around the hallways again, and mccarthy a lame duck - the odds are better for me to become a chip n dales highest paid dancer than dak winning the superbowl.

this year is a trainwreck in every sense of the word and that's how jones wants it. i don't think he wants to simply burn a year cause lets face it, he ain't got many left to burn. but he doesn't want to pay dak and he can't sit with the dead money.

which is the plan it would seem.

watch the games. have fun. but you were better off getting emotionally invested in game of thrones characters than this team, this year.

dak can win it all under these horrid conditions and make bank, or he can be someone elses problem next year.

either way, leverage jones.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Not from a playoff stand point. The Jets have blown Dallas away in the 21st Century as far as playoff success goes.

Also, your friends are more upset because winning championships actually matters to them. You are happy with 12-5 seasons that end in one and done in the playoffs. They want it more than you do. You are weak and they are strong in their fandom.
How can I say this politely... F off with trying to tell me how I am with my "Fandom." im 54, and what I dont do is let my life revolve around success or failure of a team that has noting to do with my personal life.. If ypu think the jets have been more successful then us since 2995 because they had a 3 year run, and then 27 years of 5 win seasons... good for you.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Yep true, his name is Trey Lance. He's 24 years old and selected in the 4th round of the 2024 draft....you can cry and complain that Lance sucks all you want and maybe he does but they basically drafted Lance by trading for him.
Too bad that "rookie QB" we just drafted has only a 1 year contract.

Then he is a free agent too next year, just like Dak.

If he has any juice at all, no way in hell his agent lets him resign for more than 1 year max if he is going to be the starter. Remember, Love played 1 year as starter and got handed $55 a year, if Lance actually turns out to be good why the hell would he not want a market contract also?

Lance aint signing a 5 year deal for $10 million a season if there is even a 1% chance he becomes the starter, he and his agent and going to want market just like Love got and precedent is already set that you get paid after just 1 yr starting.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
he has all the leverage. dak has proven he can play good enough to be pretty good. but never good enough to be one of the highest paid at his position.

stats are pretty. you can shine them up and make them say many things. some good, some bad, but they're typical of statistics. as my gov teacher said in high school, quoting someone else i know - "there are lies, there are damn lies, and there are statistics".

it rang home that you make pull the stats you want and lob numbers at people and they'd rather go "oh, ok...yea" than sift through them to find what matters.

jones has given dak every chance. he's giving him 1 more and calling it a day. a blind man can see that at this point. dak either wins the superbowl this year and earns the payday or he goes and the cowboys not only are in the market for a new team, but with a few good moves, can afford a rebuild.

however, jones has handicapped dak as well. fair or not, that's life. no proven RB who can handle the load right now and hey - we got a stat back there with zeke. we don't have a solid player we can count on to be a game breaker, but we have history and with any luck, maybe a salvation army moment in the making.

but that's all we'll see from zeke.

with no solid ground attack, zimmer zimming around the hallways again, and mccarthy a lame duck - the odds are better for me to become a chip n dales highest paid dancer than dak winning the superbowl.

this year is a trainwreck in every sense of the word and that's how jones wants it. i don't think he wants to simply burn a year cause lets face it, he ain't got many left to burn. but he doesn't want to pay dak and he can't sit with the dead money.

which is the plan it would seem.

watch the games. have fun. but you were better off getting emotionally invested in game of thrones characters than this team, this year.

dak can win it all under these horrid conditions and make bank, or he can be someone elses problem next year.

either way, leverage jones.
“Jones has handicapped Dak”. You can see it. So can every team that may be interested in Dak when he becomes a free agent. If the Cowboys play poorly teams will attribute it to the things you’ve indicated. Dak doesn’t have to do anything “under these horrid conditions”. He’s going to sign a contract that pays him over $55 million per season when he becomes a free agent next March. He knows it. That’s why he’s always smiling.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I agree. I think if Dak is saying 60-62 and Jones is saying 55-56 firm then it’s over. My hunch is it’s not about money, my hunch is it’s about control. The last contract Jerry gave Dak unprecedented control with the NTC, NFC and he told the behavior clause out. I don’t remember any Cowboy player in any era winning in every aspect of the contract like Dak did. And all Jerry got was a WC win. My prediction/hunch is the divorce will happen due to control and Jerry wanting some control back. And secondly I think Jerry lost some faith in him after the GB loss. So Jerry has some doubt of what Dak can do in the post season and Jerry wants some control back are my thoughts on why an extension isn’t done.
Spot on. I have this feeling that Jerry tried giving Dak a sweet deal in 2021 , hoping to elicit some loyalty for the 2024 extension. In Jerry's 'loyalty' based world, Dak/France would at least reciprocate in kind in 2024, by agreeing to a career ending contract.

Naivety at best, especially as France's position would be: you gave a: biggest signing bonus, top 2 contract, on terms that allowed us to hit FA a year early than was being given out, with a NTC, no FT.....all when my client was coming off an ankle injury. Now a MVP2 !!!!

Jerry's living in a world that no longer exists.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
In the manner that this football team has been operated for the last 25+ years, what would make you think that they have a plan of any kind?
Jerseys, that's what!https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmA7_mJB1TxZwpgVZxwhKZPTGrIVTVqAP8jw&s

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I really don't care who is being greedy between the Jones family and the players.

I said months ago I felt like Jerry may be doing a soft-reset of the salary cap to get out from under all of the dead money.

The hints of this have been everywhere because he chose to bring back McCarthy but not extend him despite him only having one year remaining on his current contract.

He could have easily extended Dak and Lamb before the salary cap increased or at least before other players in their respective positions signed new market-setting contracts.

The fact he didn't shows he is prepared to take a hit in 2024 to reset things.

As for leverage, I have read everywhere in the media and from many Cowboys fans how the players have all of the leverage, but this is simply not true.

What many people fail to consider is that Jerry is using the leverage he has (and he has a lot actually) to either get the deals he wants (and not just about money) or he gets his fallback plan with a reset year for the salary cap.

Everyone also assumes the contract delay is about money, and that is probably part of it, but there could be other sticking points as well.

For example, Dak/Lamb and their agents may want shorter contracts than the Cowboys do because they believe the salary cap will increase considerably in the next 2-3 years and they want to be able to capitalize on it.

They may also want longer contracts than the Cowboys want to give.

Beyond that, Dak currently has "no trade" and "no franchise tag" clauses in his contract and he may want both of those again in any new contract and Jerry may not want to do that a second time.

Lamb may want those clauses as well and Jerry does not want to offer them.

The truth is we fans and the media do not have all of the information.

Too many people assume it's all about money and greed (who to blame depends on which side you support), but the truth is the sticky points may not be money-related, at least not yearly average amounts.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and, more importantly, if any details of the sticking points get leaked as frustration grows on one of the sides between the team and the players/agents.
The lack of action in free agency was a big hint that they've written this year off.
Especially telling is what happened, or didn't, on offense.
Starting last year's backup C and a project at LT.
Scraped the bottom of the barrel at RB after waving Pollard goodbye.
I'm not seeing a lot of concern about protecting the qb.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
“Jones has handicapped Dak”. You can see it. So can every team that may be interested in Dak when he becomes a free agent. If the Cowboys play poorly teams will attribute it to the things you’ve indicated. Dak doesn’t have to do anything “under these horrid conditions”. He’s going to sign a contract that pays him over $55 million per season when he becomes a free agent next March. He knows it. That’s why he’s always smiling.
they can also see dak choking every year before that. being a stat machine but a playoff loser.

he may get a big payday. there are very stupid teams out there.

but he'll never get a superbowl ring.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
they can also see dak choking every year before that. being a stat machine but a playoff loser.

he may get a big payday. there are very stupid teams out there.

but he'll never get a superbowl ring.
“he’ll never get a Super Bowl ring”? So? Who is the last person still playing in the NFL that has a Cowboys Super Bowl ring? I don’t have a clue and neither do you. Because no one cares. If the Chiefs win the Super Bowl this season Carson Wentz will be one of only few active NFL quarterbacks with multiple Super Bowl rings. Without ever playing in one. (unless he’s the holder for Butker) That doesn’t make him great, does it? NFL players play for “a big payday”, not the Super Bowl.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
“he’ll never get a Super Bowl ring”? So? Who is the last person still playing in the NFL that has a Cowboys Super Bowl ring? I don’t have a clue and neither do you. Because no one cares. If the Chiefs win the Super Bowl this season Carson Wentz will be one of only few active NFL quarterbacks with multiple Super Bowl rings. Without ever playing in one. (unless he’s the holder for Butker) That doesn’t make him great, does it? NFL players play for “a big payday”, not the Super Bowl.
dude - you wanna buck up and fight, take it elsewhere. i don't have much use for dak and the only thing i have less use for are people who argue in his defense at the drop of a hat.

have a day.

plymkr

Reaction score
Spot on. I have this feeling that Jerry tried giving Dak a sweet deal in 2021 , hoping to elicit some loyalty for the 2024 extension. In Jerry's 'loyalty' based world, Dak/France would at least reciprocate in kind in 2024, by agreeing to a career ending contract.

Naivety at best, especially as France's position would be: you gave a: biggest signing bonus, top 2 contract, on terms that allowed us to hit FA a year early than was being given out, with a NTC, no FT.....all when my client was coming off an ankle injury. Now a MVP2 !!!!

Jerry's living in a world that no longer exists.
Along the same line, I feel Jerry is a narcissist. Narcissists deal in transactional love (so never date narcissist) and I feel Jerry showed Dak loyalty expecting loyalty in return. When a narcissist’s transactions are not reciprocated then look out. They’ll move heaven and earth to get even with. Hell hath no fury like a narcissist scorned.

Flamma

Reaction score
Dak has all the leverage, with a no trade clause and no option to tag him.

CD is a different story. CD will cave in at some point and play this year with or without a new contract.

Why list or even mention what Dak or CD want if Jerry has all the leverage. If Jerry has all the leverage why are they both not signed?

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Blowing up you team that has been 12-5 for the last 3 years to become 5-12 is not leverage.
I don't understand why they're not signing CD. Same stuff in SF with Aiyuk. Usually these situations end with a player being signed or traded. I would like to see what happens if the owners call their bluff.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
These are all just assumptions unless you know and talk to Jerry. How do you know "he'll be embarrassed"? Maybe he doesn't like Dak as much as you think.
Jerry has been an embarrassment for years. He doesn't care.