Jerry Jones: I was so close to drafting Johnny Manziel

JBS

Reaction score
Watching the part from about 4:35 on... Very confusing Jerryspeak, but in talking about taking the risk and how if he'd made this same kind if decision he'd never have bought the Cowboys, it's so obvious he wanted so much to take Manziel. Forget Garrett, Jerry may disown Stephen if Manziel hits.

And LOL at people saying he's lying or trolling in saying this. Why would he do that?

Lol. Yeah, its quite funny. But it makes sense. What else can they say to stick by their story that there was zero chance wed take Manziel?

Admitting that they were wrong obviously isnt an option. Not much left to pick from

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
When Barr and donald were gone i thought the pick was going to be Manziel. Then when Shazier was gone right before there was no doubt in my mind that Manziel was going to be the pick. A little bit of my mind thought Martin but i was already thinking bout Manziel.

Think Jerry held great restraint. You know he wanted Manziel.

Jerryrage

Reaction score
I laughed so hard at the end of that. "I wish I could wright a check and get in the Superbowl."

Did he pop a xanax before he did the interview? Some crazy talk.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's very simple. Jerry knows he made the smart/safe pick and he's dropping comments about how close he was to drafting Manziel to mitigate the fallout should Manziel turn out to be a star quarterback.

The media wanted Jerry to draft Manziel so bad because it would have given them regular Cowboys love/hate (depends on the day) topics to discuss. Because the Cowboys didn't draft him, they are left with trying to pry comments out of him about what could have been, what almost was, etc. In other words, they're creating news to stir the pot as long as possible.

Just imagine how the media would be slamming the Cowboys daily because of Manziel's off-season activities. Since it was the Browns, very few people care and you know that has to be driving sports media mad.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

• 0ap2000000361000.jpg
  • By Mike Coppinger
  • NFL.com
  • Published: July 27, 2014 at 08:57 p.m.
  • Updated: July 27, 2014 at 10:32 p.m.
Everyone knew Jerry Jones was enamored with Johnny Manziel.
Surprisingly, the dynamic QB's name was sitting there at No. 16 with the Cowboys on the clock during May's NFL Draft. And then Dallas drafted ... guard Zack Martin.
Jones went into detail on how tough of a choice it was during Sunday's edition of NFL Network's Inside Training Camp Live.
"I want you to know that almost as I was handing in the card, it was that close to putting that Manziel card in. It was that close," Jones told NFL Media's Rich Eisen and Michael Irvin from Cowboys camp in Oxnard, California.
"I looked over to my son, Stephen, our chief executive officer, and I said 'I took the right pick.' ... He was the top player by three players on our board at the time that we were sitting there looking at him."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...nes-i-was-so-close-to-drafting-johnny-manziel
----

Why is he still talking about this?

I know he was asked the question, but it did not require the rambling inane nonsensical response that basically appeared as he was contradicting himself.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

• 0ap2000000361000.jpg
  • By Mike Coppinger
  • NFL.com
  • Published: July 27, 2014 at 08:57 p.m.
  • Updated: July 27, 2014 at 10:32 p.m.
Everyone knew Jerry Jones was enamored with Johnny Manziel.
Surprisingly, the dynamic QB's name was sitting there at No. 16 with the Cowboys on the clock during May's NFL Draft. And then Dallas drafted ... guard Zack Martin.
Jones went into detail on how tough of a choice it was during Sunday's edition of NFL Network's Inside Training Camp Live.
"I want you to know that almost as I was handing in the card, it was that close to putting that Manziel card in. It was that close," Jones told NFL Media's Rich Eisen and Michael Irvin from Cowboys camp in Oxnard, California.
"I looked over to my son, Stephen, our chief executive officer, and I said 'I took the right pick.' ... He was the top player by three players on our board at the time that we were sitting there looking at him."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...nes-i-was-so-close-to-drafting-johnny-manziel
----

Why is he still talking about this?

I know he was asked the question, but it did not require the rambling inane nonsensical response that basically appeared as he was contradicting himself.

I agree. Jerry needs to leave the Johnny Football issue alone. It will not benifet anyone and can only be used aginst him and the organization should Johnny Football career take off. In my view Dallas made their selection and took Martin, I think Martin will be a big asset to this team for many years to come.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I wish Jerry would develop permanent laryngitis.

Moderately_Askew

Heelsboy
Reaction score
Jerry is doing what Jerry always does, generate news. I believe this was just a dramatic retelling of the events to make talking heads froth at the mouth.

Alexander

Reaction score
Jerry is doing what Jerry always does, generate news.

And ultimately, at the end of the day, it served no purpose. Zero.

These types of comments should have ended immediately after the draft.

But it does go to show you how tempted he was. I am sure he has commented to Stephen at how the circus has resulted in him having the number one selling jersey as well and he wishes he had the buzz.

I can guarantee you he honestly wishes he was getting the attention Manziel and the Browns are getting right now, regardless if it is negative.

Afterall, he likes the pain, by his own admission.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I thought this old news and everyone here already knew this story.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry is doing what Jerry always does, generate news. I believe this was just a dramatic retelling of the events to make talking heads froth at the mouth.

That was my thought too. It really wasn't all that close, but in hindsight, he says it was. He needs to get the focus off of the Browns, and back on the Cowboys.
A guy on the ticket said earlier this morning, that Maziel's jersey is the highest selling in the NFL right now. So JJ is missing all that revenue. So he says this to bring focus back to the Cowboys.

Now is all that true, makes sense. I don't really care. I just want to come out of TC healthy, and to see if the defense looks to improve.

IIRC JJ said after the draft, the thought was there but they need wasn't. So Martin was the next on the board, and could help right away.
Or somrthing simliar to that anyway.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And ultimately, at the end of the day, it served no purpose. Zero.

These types of comments should have ended immediately after the draft.

But it does go to show you how tempted he was. I am sure he has commented to Stephen at how the circus has resulted in him having the number one selling jersey as well and he wishes he had the buzz.

I can guarantee you he honestly wishes he was getting the attention Manziel and the Browns are getting right now, regardless if it is negative.

Afterall, he likes the pain, by his own admission.

Also heard a comment this morning, just think if Manziel was at Cowboys camp...Vegas is only 3 hour drive away, how many times would he be heading there....and the media backlash...

Alexander

Reaction score
IIRC JJ said after the draft, the thought was there but they need wasn't. So Martin was the next on the board, and could help right away.
Or somrthing simliar to that anyway.

His comments immediately after the draft were a little more sane than this. At least then it was framed with a little more logic.

This was a rambling mess of contradiction and nonsense, talking about the "risk" he took buying the Cowboys and somehow relating it back to the complete opposite case where he avoided risk by not taking Manziel. He talked about Romo specifically and how he "could" have handled Manziel being a Cowboy.

Just goes to show you that the attention and jersey sales are eating at him. Sad.

erod

Reaction score
What possible good can come from making comments like that? None.

"Look at me! Look at me!" The man is 72 going on 8.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His comments immediately after the draft were a little more sane than this. At least then it was framed with a little more logic.

This was a rambling mess of contradiction and nonsense, talking about the "risk" he took buying the Cowboys and somehow relating it back to the complete opposite case where he avoided risk by not taking Manziel. He talked about Romo specifically and how he "could" have handled Manziel being a Cowboy.

Just goes to show you that the attention and jersey sales are eating at him. Sad.

Yes, I couldnt relate the taking a risk in buying them back then...oh well, it's Jerry.

Sydla

Reaction score
LOL. Jerry's timing is always priceless.

So he drops this nugget that he wanted Manziel just as reports are coming out that the Browns are totally at wit's end at this point with Manziel and his constant partying. And that according to sources he's already fallen behind Hoyer and looked worse now than he did at OTAs.

erod

Reaction score
On second thought, I'm kind of glad he said it. When Manziel flames out (which he's already begun), these quotes will serve as a bigger nail in the his GM coffin.

The man wouldn't know an NFL player from a bag of oats.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Jerry should quit giving interviews. He rambles & ends up sounding stupid.

He won't though so ramble on Jerry.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It
On second thought, I'm kind of glad he said it. When Manziel flames out (which he's already begun), these quotes will serve as a bigger nail in the his GM coffin.

The man wouldn't know an NFL player from a bag of oats.

There will be no NAILS in the GMs coffin because that would require the Owner to get the nails and use the hammer and that is not going to happen.