Jerry Jones: Luke McCown a better fit for third QB than Colin Kaepernick

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbob

Reaction score
Well, except for the fact that Kaepernick has already taken one team to the Super Bowl and then back to the NFC Championship Game, and Luke McCown is a career backup.

I'm a Jerry fan, and I understand the reasoning here. But let's not pretend that McCown and Kaepernick are on the same planet talent-wise or potential-wise.

McCown - 36 yrs old, 9 career TDs, 15 career INTS
Kaepernick - 29 yrs old, 72 career TDs (plus another 13 rushing TDs), 30 career INTS.

Given that we hope to be serious potential SB contenders this year, I think it is very fair to ask why we are signing the vastly inferior player. And Jerry's response that he signed McCown because he is looking for a "Quarterback for the future" is laughable.

I think the reasons we signed McCown instead of Kaepernick are clear. Kaepernick's social issues were undoubtedly a factor, and they were looking more for a camp body than someone who would challenge Kellen Moore for the #2 spot.
True but Luke is cheaper too no issues also and decent qb.
Chances are #3 never sees the field.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I love how nobody talks about the fact that Kaepernick is an AWFUL leader with the exact opposite personality that teams want in their veteran backup QBs.

In SF, Kaep was the guy who would walk around the facility with headphones on and who would sit alone in the cafeteria. Kept to himself.

Smart of him to switch the narrative. He was awful on and off the field, even being outplayed by Blaine Gabbert. But he's a "victim" due to his political beliefs, because that storyline is sexier and generates more clicks.
Kap never made himself the victim. That's his supporters and detractors.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Kap never made himself the victim. That's his supporters and detractors.
Somebody speaks the truth but sadly you do t get that when folks have their emotions all involved on both sides. That's what you have with this issue on top of the other part of the issue that is better left untouched.

I agree with Jerry if we are only looking for a camp body but any real shot at backup qb it's no comparison to me.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Well, except for the fact that Kaepernick has already taken one team to the Super Bowl and then back to the NFC Championship Game, and Luke McCown is a career backup.

I'm a Jerry fan, and I understand the reasoning here. But let's not pretend that McCown and Kaepernick are on the same planet talent-wise or potential-wise.

McCown - 36 yrs old, 9 career TDs, 15 career INTS
Kaepernick - 29 yrs old, 72 career TDs (plus another 13 rushing TDs), 30 career INTS.

Given that we hope to be serious potential SB contenders this year, I think it is very fair to ask why we are signing the vastly inferior player. And Jerry's response that he signed McCown because he is looking for a "Quarterback for the future" is laughable.

I think the reasons we signed McCown instead of Kaepernick are clear. Kaepernick's social issues were undoubtedly a factor, and they were looking more for a camp body than someone who would challenge Kellen Moore for the #2 spot.

I don't know why this has to be explained to you. NFL ratings were down 8 percent last year, and over a quarter of those people cited Kaepernick as the reason they stopped watching. Signing Kaepernick = losing fans.

blur2122

Reaction score
I don't know why this has to be explained to you. NFL ratings were down 8 percent last year, and over a quarter of those people cited Kaepernick as the reason they stopped watching. Signing Kaepernick = losing fans.
Well, I think I covered that pretty clearly when I mentioned Kaep's social issues as a reason he wasn't signed.

In a league where we conveniently ignore and forget a lot of unpleasant indiscretions, Kaepernick committed the unforgivable sin - he became bad for business.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I think that's a little simplistic. There are in any profession or any kind of grouping (including this forum) people of character and a percentage of instigators and trolls. Saying journalism is not a serious profession is wrong IMO. As frustrating as the news and politics are these days what would happen if there were no journalists to at least try and keep us informed....???

I think you just have to sift thru the crappola...
I did not say it was not a serious profession.

The unfortunate part is that society today has such a short attention span that if a person wants to be successful in the field, being noticed trumps getting a Pulitzer.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Who is worse with their agendas.....media or College profs? :popcorn:

I don't blame the reporters themselves, it goes much deeper than that.

Bro don't even get me started on college professors with the revenue driven agendas that they call courses. Buy their books, buy their books!

Bullet22

Reaction score
You can already see how heated it's getting and Kap isn't even signed anywhere. If a team signs him it's going to be a circus. Don't know why any team would want that.
The Raven's head coach was building Kap up and then signed someone else...nobody wants the headache...

shabazz

Reaction score
That's all the media is these days. They stopped reporting the news long ago and instead now focus on creating it.

Agree 100% on that point but in reference to the 2 quarterbacks Kaepernick is the better of the two and it's not even close. I still think he can be a starter in the league in the right conditions.

Personally though, I thinks he's a lump of crap

Status
Not open for further replies.