Jerry Jones: Luke McCown a better fit for third QB than Colin Kaepernick

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Right Jerry because Kaepernick would be a better QB2. Than Moore and would yes, for him to be QB3 would be ridiculous. This is where Jerry Jones has disappointed me. Not to mentioned he contributed to the current adminstration's campaign. I've defended Jerry in the past, but I won't anymore. Just spend your money and get my team a championship. The most ironic thing about the whole thing is the same people who say Kaepernick isn't being blackballed are the same ones who want him blackballed from the league.

Dodger12

Reaction score
That study is bull. How do people stop watching all games over a guy doing something that wasn't saw by many since the 9ers aren't even good? I don't remember it being made a big deal during cowboys games or other games esp after the first few weeks if that. People look for any excuse to co sign things they want to simple and plain. Again this study is bull because nobody stopped watching over this. People doing DV, killing people, etc isn't enough to stop watching but this issue is? @Zordon and @DejectedFan1996 know what is believed elsewhere on this issue lol.

What rock were you hiding under? You didn't have to watch 49er games or be a 49ers fan. It was on every news media outlet week after week. I, and many others, won't watch Kaepernick. And the NFL doesn't want him. They can claim whatever BS they want, but we all know the reality is and why he hasn't been signed by a team.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Well, except for the fact that Kaepernick has already taken one team to the Super Bowl and then back to the NFC Championship Game, and Luke McCown is a career backup.

I'm a Jerry fan, and I understand the reasoning here. But let's not pretend that McCown and Kaepernick are on the same planet talent-wise or potential-wise.

McCown - 36 yrs old, 9 career TDs, 15 career INTS
Kaepernick - 29 yrs old, 72 career TDs (plus another 13 rushing TDs), 30 career INTS.

Given that we hope to be serious potential SB contenders this year, I think it is very fair to ask why we are signing the vastly inferior player. And Jerry's response that he signed McCown because he is looking for a "Quarterback for the future" is laughable.

I think the reasons we signed McCown instead of Kaepernick are clear. Kaepernick's social issues were undoubtedly a factor, and they were looking more for a camp body than someone who would challenge Kellen Moore for the #2 spot.
Yeah, but he hurt some people's feelings.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
He did not do himself any favors either speaking on a subject and wearing a T-Shirt with Castro and Malcolm X with the caption "Like Minds Think Alike". We all know Castro was the poster child for oppression for 50+ years
But that's not playing the victim. That's showing people what you believe and who your heroes are.
Two separate concepts.

blur2122

Reaction score
Right Jerry because Kaepernick would be a better QB2. Than Moore and would yes, for him to be QB3 would be ridiculous. This is where Jerry Jones has disappointed me. Not to mentioned he contributed to the current adminstration's campaign. I've defended Jerry in the past, but I won't anymore. Just spend your money and get my team a championship. The most ironic thing about the whole thing is the same people who say Kaepernick isn't being blackballed are the same ones who want him blackballed from the league.

I can see it now...

REPORTER: Jerry, your team fell short of the Super Bowl again this year. What happened?

JERRY: Well, we could have built a better team but I was really worried about those TV ratings.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
What rock were you hiding under? You didn't have to watch 49er games or be a 49ers fan. It was on every news media outlet week after week. I, and many others, won't watch Kaepernick. And the NFL doesn't want him. They can claim whatever BS they want, but we all know the reality is and why he hasn't been signed by a team.
My cable must be different from yours because when I watched the games I saw none of that. I'm not surprised you and many others won't watch Kaep. It was on the news when it first happened but wasn't all season long but when your an opponent of something you would think any coverage is too much.

Yeah, if you dig into the article it gets interesting - "J.D. Power noted that only 12 percent of the fans it surveyed said they watched fewer NFL games last season, with 27 percent of people saying they watched more and 62 percent saying they watched just as much as they had the season before"

If we're blaming Kap for a quarter of the 12% who watched fewer games, are we giving him credit for some of the 27% that watched more games?

That being said, I work with a die-hard Raiders fan who stopped watching last year because of the anthem protests. He's waited for years for the Raiders to be good again. He said that Kap had a right to do what he did, and he understood why the owners allowed it, but it somehow robbed him of his joy of the game. I felt bad for him that he couldn't enjoy the success the Raiders had last year.

I think the bottom line is that Kap touched two really sensitive and emotional topics - patriotism and race relations, and people are going to feel how they feel about that.

Lastly, I think if he were to get signed and begin standing for the anthem again (as he said he would), people would start moving past this issue and it would not be nearly the "distraction" that some think it would be.
That Raiders fan is a dummy simple and plain and I'd tell them to their face too. How you going to let that stop your joy? If that don't make the least bit of sense esp if you're not a 9ers fan. Some folks are too emotionally involved. What I look like letting that kneeling stop me from watching the Boys or someone talking about it on tv make me upset? If I don't like it I can just change the channel and its done.

Kaep really did touch two sensitive and emotional issues and something folks on either side aren't budging on. My only thing is when people say its not about certain things but just a simple look at who are on opposite sides for the most part tell you all you need to know. Maybe at times we all want to lie to ourselves about whats going on in certain situations.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Zeke has baggage, Greg Hardy had baggage, What Colin Kapernick did should not be labeled as baggage at all.
And I didn't want Hardy here either. Zeke's baggage as far as I see is immaturity. Nothing else has been proven. Kap is an idiot. And the media will be all over him. The guy isn't even a good QB anymore. Don't need a headache for a backup QB. It 'll be like Tim Teebow.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you cannot talk about Kap without bringing politics or racial issues into it.... DO NOT talk about Kap or you will be benched. This topic has gone on for way to many pages in way to many threads.

KNOCK IT OFF

lkelly

Reaction score
You guys are completely overreacting. The locker room just has low ceilings.

49ers-colin-kaepernick-donate-money-organzations.jpg

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Kap is not even on the team, nor should he be, and all this controversy. What do you think it would be like if he was on the team? The constant questions to the coaches, players and front office about Kap. We wouldn't know what was happening on the team, because the media would be asking about the 2nd or 3rd QB. That's why he's not coming here.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Well you can't be America's team and have someone do what he has done.

If I remember right Jerry even told the team he will have none of that.

Dodger12

Reaction score
My cable must be different from yours because when I watched the games I saw none of that. I'm not surprised you and many others won't watch Kaep. It was on the news when it first happened but wasn't all season long but when your an opponent of something you would think any coverage is too much.

If you didn't watch the 9ers games, then you wouldn't see it until it was reported. And the part I bolded is the main point. People won't watch and the NFL knows it. No team wants to bring Kaepernick in and the negative attention he would bring with him. A lot of employers are now looking at an applicant's social media before hiring them. If they don't like what they see, the person doesn't get hired. This situation is no different.

Kaep really did touch two sensitive and emotional issues and something folks on either side aren't budging on. My only thing is when people say its not about certain things but just a simple look at who are on opposite sides for the most part tell you all you need to know. Maybe at times we all want to lie to ourselves about whats going on in certain situations.

I don't lie to myself about what the issue is. If Kap has a problem with the country, the flag, with law enforcement, etc., and uses his position with the NFL/team and jersey he wears as a forum to send that message, then I don't have to watch him or pay him any mind. Sports have always been as American as apple pie. Allot of Folks watch sports to get away from the daily grind and use it as a release. For several hours on Sunday, I just want to watch football. I don't want to see a 100 million dollar QB talk about how he's oppressed and bag on the country that afforded him the opportunity to earn that living all the while glorifying a country and a dictator where he'd be working on a farm and serving the state for a set wage and live in poverty.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
If you didn't watch the 9ers games, then you wouldn't see it until it was reported. And the part I bolded is the main point. People won't watch and the NFL knows it. No team wants to bring Kaepernick in and the negative attention he would bring with him. A lot of employers are now looking at an applicant's social media before hiring them. If they don't like what they see, the person doesn't get hired. This situation is no different.

I don't lie to myself about what the issue is. If Kap has a problem with the country, the flag, with law enforcement, etc., and uses his position with the NFL/team and jersey he wears as a forum to send that message, then I don't have to watch him or pay him any mind. Sports have always been as American as apple pie. Allot of Folks watch sports to get away from the daily grind and use it as a release. For several hours on Sunday, I just want to watch football. I don't want to see a 100 million dollar QB talk about how he's oppressed and bag on the country that afforded him the opportunity to earn that living all the while glorifying a country and a dictator where he'd be working on a farm and serving the state for a set wage and live in poverty.
Just as much negative attention you'll get positive attention. If you and others want to stop watching the. Boys over that be my guest. Wouldn't stop me one bit just like when other people were brought in that some didn't like. A regular job and sports aren't the same in this instance so I don't know why you use that logic regarding social media. You can't do that but an athlete esp a good/great one can do almost what they won't not the same situation IMO. The thing is Kaep isn't saw by all as that good and that's where social media and the like can come into play.

You probably didn't watch him or pay him any mind so why are you acting like you did because I know I didn't and I don't have a problem with what he did. You probably saw him and turned the tv when that segment came up so how did it really affect you? I know when I see things I don't want to deal with on tv I just turn and come back to it later. During the season he talked about it once when it first happened so why make it like this was a weekly thing? I don't think speaking out on one thing equals bagging on the country. People have complaints all the time doesn't mean they don't like living here. I'm pretty sure you've had them too about something and I'm sure you love living here. I love my best friend and he smokes. I don't love his smoking but it doesn't mean I don't love him. I think this is similar.

All that being said I don't think its worth it for the third QB anyway. Maybe a backup if it was that serious but for a third QB I don't think its worth it.

aria

Reaction score
Possibly for the first time EVER, I am publicly agreeing and thanking Jerry with regards to this thread title/subject matter. THANKYOU JERRY!

*mark this post, it may never happen again :)

Chuck 54

Reaction score
The NFL is more entertainment industry than pure sport; everything is about money and what the fans want. Kaepernick could be one of the best QBs in the NFL and it wouldn't matter. No owner will agree to signing him if it's clear that most of the team's fans hate Kaep's politics and not standing for the anthem. An owner won't risk financial reprisals from the fan base, not even if it means winning more games.

As a fan, winning is more important to me, so I'd love to see Kaepernick as our backup. He's a much better and experienced QB than any of our backups, and I have no doubt that he'd be successful if forced into service. Behind our OL, he'd be fine passing and a terror running.

However, Jerry would be a fool to sign him in Dallas. Fans aren't going to forgive or forget the kneeling for the Anthem.

Status
Not open for further replies.