CFZ Jerry Jones must trade for Derrick Henry

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This is basically a twin thread to another thread that I made. That said, I think it's clear what needs to be done for the Cowboys to make a run this year. Jerry Jones must trade for Derrick Henry.

Our biggest weaknesses, as I see them, is oline play and our running game. I submit that our issue is congruent because we don't have a back that runs with the style that our running game plan. Consider that our oline core is accustomed to blocking for the likes of Demarco Murray, Darren McFadden, and Zeke. Now, they're being asked to block for the likes of Pollard, Dowdle, and Vaughn (I'd like for Luepke to be more involved, but that's for another thread). Pollard is not Murray or Zeke. He's a back who thrives on outside runs. If only there was a team on a fire sale that has a back that might fit our offense. Oh, that's right, the Titans just made a trade with Philly. Perhaps it's time Jerry shakes their tree to see if we can get Derrick Henry. I would see if they'd take Dowdle and a 2nd for Henry. I say second because, with our draft history, Jerry will probably waste our second round pick anyway. Trading Dowdle saves us the trouble of cutting him and making room for DH.

I think if Dallas makes this move, then it would become a move that could shift the balance in the NFC. The 49ers can't stop the run. The Eagles just traded for a safety. I think trading for Derrick Henry would be the perfect response for the Eagles move, and I think Derrick Henry, with our offense, can be the difference in us beating SFO. Perhaps that could be the big move that the Cowboys need?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The resources to pull off such a trade aren’t worth it imo. They already traded their 4th, unless it takes a 5th, I’m not doing it. They can find a long term RB with this years 2nd or 3rd.

I think it is. I think this team we have now can compete if we get Derrick Henry. Like I said, Jerry would probably waste the 2nd round pick anyway, and I think the time is now to strike while the iron is hot. If Jerry really believes in this roster, then this is the move to make. It's an all in move. I think DH has at least 3 years of quality tread in his tires, and I think we have the offense to where Derrick Henry can put this offense in the Super Bowl. We have found the weakness that SFO has. Derrick Henry gives us that weapon to beat SFO. He also gives us the answer to Philly's move.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yes, but trading a 2nd or 3rd for a 29 year old is not worth it for this team. They are not a battering RB away from winning a SB.

If we want a chance at beating SFO, then this is the move Jerry needs to make this year. If he truly likes our guys, then this is the move. I see a glaring weakness in SFO. If you can gash them on the run and force Purdy to throw, you can beat SFO. That's been our biggest hurdle of late. This move at least gets us to the NFCC to play Philly. With Dak's record against Philly, I like those odds.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
lord no. He’s warned and TN knows it. And it’s doesn’t matter who is running, this OL is completely lost in the new scheme

J817

Reaction score
I think it is. I think this team we have now can compete if we get Derrick Henry. Like I said, Jerry would probably waste the 2nd round pick anyway, and I think the time is now to strike while the iron is hot. If Jerry really believes in this roster, then this is the move to make. It's an all in move. I think DH has at least 3 years of quality tread in his tires, and I think we have the offense to where Derrick Henry can put this offense in the Super Bowl. We have found the weakness that SFO has. Derrick Henry gives us that weapon to beat SFO. He also gives us the answer to Philly's move.
The current RB tandem is fine. Derrick Henry on this team is not going to fix the current blocking issues, McCarthy play calling issues, or the currant issues with the QB. I’m not comfortable trading a 2nd for a RB older then Zeke.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Besides, we have the defence. I think we have the special teams. They started to use Cooks more to compliment Lamb more against the Chargers. If we want to make this team move the ball on the ground, then we need a back who can do that. I think DH gives us the weapon we need to accomplish this. It gives our offense a battering ram to go with our receiving group. With our schedule and with who we likely face in the playoffs, DH gives us a fighting chance.

J-man

Reaction score
I tend to agree, Tennessee looks to be having a fire sale and we would seriously think about grabbing him. We need that power component to our run game. King Henry would give us that.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The current RB tandem is fine. Derrick Henry on this team is not going to fix the current blocking issues, McCarthy play calling issues, or the currant issues with the QB. I’m not comfortable trading a 2nd for a RB older then Zeke.

I think Dak is fine. I think what we need is another weapon. Unless Mike plans on using Luepke in the middle more, then I think DH is the move. Or, if not him, see if we can get the Broncos to deal us their RB Williams. Either way, we need a back that can run up the middle and be a battering ram.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The resources to pull off such a trade aren’t worth it imo. They already traded their 4th, unless it takes a 5th, I’m not doing it. They can find a long term RB with this years 2nd or 3rd.

It sounded like the Titans would let him go to the right spot out of respect.

Hes almost 30 and does nothing for that team going forward.

They have a very promising rookie that they can lean on behind him as well.

J817

Reaction score
If we want a chance at beating SFO, then this is the move Jerry needs to make this year. If he truly likes our guys, then this is the move. I see a glaring weakness in SFO. If you can gash them on the run and force Purdy to throw, you can beat SFO. That's been our biggest hurdle of late. This move at least gets us to the NFCC to play Philly. With Dak's record against Philly, I like those odds.
If we were talking about McCaffery (last year) then maybe, but that ship has sailed. Henry can fall off the cliff at anytime at this point.

J817

Reaction score

If they can get him for a 5th or under, yea why not.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I tend to agree, Tennessee looks to be having a fire sale and we would seriously think about grabbing him. We need that power component to our run game. King Henry would give us that.

Exactly, and the iron is hot. Either DH or the Broncos back Williams would make excellent trade targets. If we want a power back, DH is the best in the business. Give our offense Derrick Henry, and I think this team can take the mantle. We don't need much more than that. Especially in the playoffs, you can never have enough weapons. Derrick Henry is as big a weapon as you can get. Fitting him with Lamb, Cooks, and our developing receiving core and TEs, and I think this offense jumps to a level that I don't know that I've seen since I started watching football in 2000.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

I mean, if they cut him midseason, we should snap him up. Either way, we need him or the Broncos back. We need someone who can give us a rushing weapon to compliment what we are trying to do on offense.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yes, but trading a 2nd or 3rd for a 29 year old is not worth it for this team. They are not a battering RB away from winning a SB.

How can you say that?

It’s not that he’s a battering RB he’s a playmaker that can impose his will.

Do you just hyper focus on the Cowboys or do you also see the Eagles losing the Jets, the Lions getting destroyed by Baltimore, and San Fran losing back to back to a PJ Walker lead Browns and the Vikings.

Absolutely the Cowboys are a player like Henry away. To say otherwise is delusional and just pessimistic just to be pessimistic.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Trade a second round pick for a RB that's as old as Zeke? LOL no way! They could have used a second rounder in the last draft for an elite RB that is both young, and cheap for years to come.