CFZ Jerry Jones must trade for Derrick Henry

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I mean, if they cut him midseason, we should snap him up. Either way, we need him or the Broncos back. We need someone who can give us a rushing weapon to compliment what we are trying to do on offense.
Pollard is more than fine. Henry is just a different kind of animal.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
This is basically a twin thread to another thread that I made. That said, I think it's clear what needs to be done for the Cowboys to make a run this year. Jerry Jones must trade for Derrick Henry.

Our biggest weaknesses, as I see them, is oline play and our running game. I submit that our issue is congruent because we don't have a back that runs with the style that our running game plan. Consider that our oline core is accustomed to blocking for the likes of Demarco Murray, Darren McFadden, and Zeke. Now, they're being asked to block for the likes of Pollard, Dowdle, and Vaughn (I'd like for Luepke to be more involved, but that's for another thread). Pollard is not Murray or Zeke. He's a back who thrives on outside runs. If only there was a team on a fire sale that has a back that might fit our offense. Oh, that's right, the Titans just made a trade with Philly. Perhaps it's time Jerry shakes their tree to see if we can get Derrick Henry. I would see if they'd take Dowdle and a 2nd for Henry. I say second because, with our draft history, Jerry will probably waste our second round pick anyway. Trading Dowdle saves us the trouble of cutting him and making room for DH.

I think if Dallas makes this move, then it would become a move that could shift the balance in the NFC. The 49ers can't stop the run. The Eagles just traded for a safety. I think trading for Derrick Henry would be the perfect response for the Eagles move, and I think Derrick Henry, with our offense, can be the difference in us beating SFO. Perhaps that could be the big move that the Cowboys need?
I wanted Henry and Danielle Hunter. With the Vikings winning today, Hunter likely isn't on the market. But would love for us to get Henry. Don't expect it or any other move of consequence, but I also believe it would change up the dynamics of our run game.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
How can you say that?

It’s not that he’s a battering RB he’s a playmaker that can impose his will.

Do you just hyper focus on the Cowboys or do you also see the Eagles losing the Jets, the Lions getting destroyed by Baltimore, and San Fran losing back to back to a PJ Walker lead Browns and the Vikings.

Absolutely the Cowboys are a player like Henry away. To say otherwise is delusional and just pessimistic just to be pessimistic.

Exactly, and it's a move to counter what the Eagles just did today. It's a move to say, "We saw what the Browns and Vikings did to SFO. Let's get someone who can do that to them as well." Will it be enough to beat KC? Who knows? Will it give us a fighting chance to find out? I think it does give us a fighting chance. Without DH, we are not going to the SB. With DH, we can go to the SB.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Pollard is more than fine. Henry is just a different kind of animal.

Well yeah, DH and Pollard would be great compliments to each other. DH can pound defences into submission, while Pollard takes the top off of them. It's a perfect fit.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I wanted Henry and Danielle Hunter. With the Vikings winning today, Hunter likely isn't on the market. But would love for us to get Henry. Don't expect it or any other move of consequence, but I also believe it would change up the dynamics of our run game.

Oh, I think DH is of significant consequence (as I've stated) if we do it.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Trade a second round pick for a RB that's as old as Zeke? LOL no way! They could have used a second rounder in the last draft for an elite RB that is both young, and cheap for years to come.
I wouldn't trade a second for him, but I would give up something like a third and one of our backs (other than Pollard) for Henry and a sixth.

DCowboyz

Reaction score
Jerry being the dork he is; he’d overpay. We don’t want to overpay. We always overpay when we trade for players.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Oh, I think DH is of significant consequence (as I've stated) if we do it.
Right, but it's a pipe dream with our front office's current philosophy. We do make trades, but it's either with low-round picks or because something is absolutely not working (like our passing game the year we traded for Cooper).

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Can Derrick Henry run block?

I don't think blocking has been an issue for DH. Plus, I explained where I think he helps. I think the oline is built for a different type of blocking than they're being asked to do. I think DH allows them to return to mauling defences like they're accustomed to doing for Zeke and Murray. This time, they'd have an absolute sledgehammer running behind them. This offense would become very explosive, imo, with this move.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Right, but it's a pipe dream with our front office's current philosophy. We do make trades, but it's either with low-round picks or because something is absolutely not working (like our passing game the year we traded for Cooper).

If Jerry wants a bargain, then Denver's back might be a good place to start. But, if he really wants to compete, then this is the right choice.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Trade a second round pick for a RB that's as old as Zeke? LOL no way! They could have used a second rounder in the last draft for an elite RB that is both young, and cheap for years to come.

That time has come and gone. Who knows if this team will have the same core next year as it does this year? We are 4-2. We are level on losses with SFO. They have a key weakness. We don't have the weapon to beat that weakness. We can get that weapon in DH. We have two games against Philly. Guess who can help us in the ground game against them. This is the time to strike. Either with him or the Broncos back.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If we were talking about McCaffery (last year) then maybe, but that ship has sailed. Henry can fall off the cliff at anytime at this point.

Maybe, but he may also get an additional life here with the weapons we have. We have receivers. We have tight ends developing. What we dont have is an effective running game. I think he or the Broncos back can fix that.

J817

Reaction score
How can you say that?

It’s not that he’s a battering RB he’s a playmaker that can impose his will.

Do you just hyper focus on the Cowboys or do you also see the Eagles losing the Jets, the Lions getting destroyed by Baltimore, and San Fran losing back to back to a PJ Walker lead Browns and the Vikings.

Absolutely the Cowboys are a player like Henry away. To say otherwise is delusional and just pessimistic just to be pessimistic.
Watching teams who have better playoff records (the last 10 years) than the Cowboys lose games doesn’t mean Derrick Henry changes the entire trajectory of the Cowboys and makes them perennial Super Bowl contenders. I’m pessimistic because I have watched this team for the last 25 years. Even with Henry, McCarthy and Dak will still be here. I’m sorry I dont see it.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
To the people who say they wouldn’t give up a second. Who cares at this point. Go for it! The rams made a couple deals years ago and won a SB with it.

It ain’t like it’ll be a first round pick. Sometimes you have to take a shot and optimize the window.

We have a lot of talent… Henry would be huge for this team. It would also allow dak ti be much more efficient.

I’m trading a 2nd or 3rd in a heartbeat. Even if it’s hit half a season it’s worth it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
To the people who say they wouldn’t give up a second. Who cares at this point. Go for it! The rams made a couple deals years ago and won a SB with it.

It ain’t like it’ll be a first round pick. Sometimes you have to take a shot and optimize the window.

We have a lot of talent… Henry would be huge for this team. It would also allow dak ti be much more efficient.

I’m trading a 2nd or 3rd in a heartbeat. Even if it’s hit half a season it’s worth it.

Exactly, and it's for a player who gives us a fighting chance to compete for a championship. I think this is the move, if Jerry seriously believes he has a contender, to make. Besides, I think DH has another year on his contract after this year, and we probably get a comp pick for him if someone else takes him after that. If nothing else, we get a year or a year and a half rental to see if we can win a SB using a pick (2nd round pick) that Jerry likely wastes anyway. Might as well see if we can turn it into the best back in the league. Sometimes a move like this is a big motivational tool for a team to say the FO believes so much in them that they went and got the best at a position to push them over the top. You think Parsons wouldn't be excited to know we got Derrick Henry? I think the entire team would be electrified if we got him.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Watching teams who have better playoff records (the last 10 years) than the Cowboys lose games doesn’t mean Derrick Henry changes the entire trajectory of the Cowboys and makes them perennial Super Bowl contenders. I’m pessimistic because I have watched this team for the last 25 years. Even with Henry, McCarthy and Dak will still be here. I’m sorry I dont see it.
That trajectory is built on a bad roster building philosophy by the front office IMO. Other than the trade for Amari, the Joneses don't build with high-priced/high-quality players from other teams. Now, that should be applauded to some extent, but it also handicaps you not to use one aspect of roster building. I'm for using all areas and then if we can't get it done with McCarthy and Prescott, tear it down and start over.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
That trajectory is built on a bad roster building philosophy by the front office IMO. Other than the trade for Amari, the Joneses don't build with high-priced/high-quality players from other teams. Now, that should be applauded to some extent, but it also handicaps you not to use one aspect of roster building. I'm for using all areas and then if we can't get it done with McCarthy and Prescott, tear it down and start over.

Not only that, but Jerry used to like splashes. This would be a tidal wave of a splash if he did this. If this team can't at least make it to NFCC or maybe even the SB with this roster with Derrick Henry, then it means it's time to tear it down and rethink what the team should look like on offense. But, this move might just be the spark needed to get this team into the SB. It should easily be enough to beat SFO. I think it would be enough to beat Philly in the NFCC. Then, it just comes down to who's better. Us with Derrick Henry, or the Chiefs? I like our chances in the postseason a lot more with DH than without him.