Jerry Jones: No urgency to get contract done with Lamb

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yeah, 6 games. But he doesn't have to play. You can be on IR and it still counts towards those 6 games. What good does it do the Cowboys if he shows up in week 12? He can't play. There is no point in a holdout if he was going to play. No holdout would ever work if the owners knew they were just holding out for training camp.
I disagree the point was to speed up the process and see if they can pressure Jones into getting him a deal done sooner he's not holding out I guarantee it when the season comes even on his old deal he is not gonna be willing to do this because he doesn't have leverage no one is going to eat that kind of money knowing they can be detached on the other end so let's give up 17,000,000 just to be back in the same spot next year at the same time you going to hold out for two years? He will be tagged if he does that and then Jerry's going to be in a really bad mood.. He held out for good reasons he wanted to make the team know he was serious, that's it he was hoping to expedite this ,and if it doesn't happen he's going to have to come back and play and you know you're not going to get on IR by accident where you going to hurt yourself on purpose ??!! stop making excuses for why you think you're right and I'm wrong..

I'm telling you I feel completely opposite. It's all posturing but there's no player that's going to be in his position that's giving up that kind of money knowing he's going to be right back at it again should he not get a deal he's going to be tagged...

blueblood70

Reaction score
we were talking about lamb, not other players.
Both of those guys are better than lamb.
Well if he wants to bring up hill he just accepted 30 million guaranteed for three years it's 90 million total you don't think the Cowboys would do that deal I almost guarantee that's not what lamb has been demanding regards if you feel like he's worth it or not the average for the top five players is $31 million and he'll took 30 DJ Moore took 27.5 we would not be having this conversation if lamb was not asking for what Jefferson got or more I believe the Cowboys are probably trying to get him to sign around 30 to 32 and it's been turned down... So something's gonna have to give but this guy wants to bring up hill yeah he'll sign and DJ Moore signed and a bunch of these players are all signed because they signed for 32,000,000 or less not what Jefferson got there's only two players making that and that would be Jefferson and brown everyone else is 30 or under that means the average market price for a starting caliber wide receiver like lamb who just had a career year would be around 30-32 and This is why San Francisco offered that to Brandon ayuk and he turned it down they offered him 30 and he shouldn't have turned it down in my opinion but some of this is the agent and the players holding this up it's not the Jones family being cheap they're just trying to get the best contract they can under the salary cap because they have other players like Prescott and Parsons coming up... I'm not picking a side because I think everyone's posturing and the fans are getting too involved....

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I know what you mean and don’t disagree, but it’s all about the future value of money and the expected cap increase annually.

It’s just how it’s done. More important is the guaranteed money and the structure…like when they guarantee a salary in a given March for the season AFTER the upcoming one, while that one is already guaranteed. That makes the player uncuttable.

Looking at the numbers, my guess is they do that in order to prevent paying large signing bonuses, and keeping that capital for other use to earn interest. Remember Stephen picks quarters off the floor.
loooooooooooooooooooooool good one

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
His quote; “The Cowboys confirmed offers have been made and at least Dak has confirmed he's REJECTING these offers because he wants to reset the market.”

It’s a lie. Dak never said he wanted to reset the market. Just the opposite in fact. Don’t like liars.
I'm just seeing this. Dak IMPLICITLY said this when he said he "owes it to his brother" to keep pushing salaries. Well, what does that mean? It means that Dak is NOT thinking about his immediate team, but he would have us believe he is concerned with the larger impact to team/player salary negotiations. This typically means pushing salaries higher for "the next guy".

Dak confirmed this in his interview and both Fish (an experienced journalist) and I (a 100% bonafide BS detector) found to be especially UNCTUOUS arguments. No wonder you blindly hated on Fish...you hate anyone that messes with your idol.

Flamma

Reaction score
I disagree the point was to speed up the process and see if they can pressure Jones into getting him a deal done sooner he's not holding out I guarantee it when the season comes even on his old deal he is not gonna be willing to do this because he doesn't have leverage no one is going to eat that kind of money knowing they can be detached on the other end so let's give up 17,000,000 just to be back in the same spot next year at the same time you going to hold out for two years? He will be tagged if he does that and then Jerry's going to be in a really bad mood.. He held out for good reasons he wanted to make the team know he was serious, that's it he was hoping to expedite this ,and if it doesn't happen he's going to have to come back and play and you know you're not going to get on IR by accident where you going to hurt yourself on purpose ??!! stop making excuses for why you think you're right and I'm wrong..

I'm telling you I feel completely opposite. It's all posturing but there's no player that's going to be in his position that's giving up that kind of money knowing he's going to be right back at it again should he not get a deal he's going to be tagged...
They can't franchise tag him until next year.

Well, if you're right, then there is no rush for Jerry to pay him. Holdouts only work if you're going to threaten the regular season. Let's see what happens.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Jerry gets his pet cats. Zeke is a pet cat. Romo and Witten were. I don't think Dak or CeeDee are, neither was Amari obviously. You can kind of just tell where loyalty lies with Jed.
Thats a great observation. I think you could even say he loved Michael like a son but maybe not Troy and Emmitt as much.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
These things just take time
Bad bad way to look at it. Time has cost the team millions against the cap as receivers and QBs have set the market and it’s only going up.

Look at Emmitt’s holdout. It took Jerry two days to get his deal done after a loss to Buffalo put us at 0-2.

They don’t take time…only will.

blueblood70

Reaction score
They can't franchise tag him until next year.

Well, if you're right, then there is no rush for Jerry to pay him. Holdouts only work if you're going to threaten the regular season. Let's see what happens.
impasse, yes wait and see ...

its threat not a promise...

But that's the thing he never made that statement you do realize that right the media went to him and asked him if he felt a sense of urgency to get lamb signed before camp breaks say that out loud two or three times.. We're talking about camp breaking within this week right I mean after this first preseason game they're coming back to Dallas so that means Jerry answered the question simply 2 letters, NO..
This is the media typing up a simple answer as to know so they came back later and said that it's getting a lot of blowback and ask him a follow up and why he said it and he says he's not sure why he said it it just that he doesn't feel the urgency to get them done by camp he didn't say anything about during the preseason or before the season starts or mid season he literally said he felt no urgency to get it done what would have been within a week to 10 days why should he say yes but the man has a microphone stuffed in his face but neither one of these camps lamb his agent or the Cowboys have been discussing any trade options it's not gonna happen they're gonna get a deal done whether it's before the season during the season or before next year that's why he said there's no urgency he didn't say he didn't want lamb he didn't say that he doesn't feel he's a vital part of this team he just said he didn't have any sense of urgency to get it done before camp breaks it's that simple everyone's making a big deal out of it and he's not even the one that brought up the question he simply answered it ,no.. He knows he has time so right now this is all posturing it's all negotiations and I believe it's gonna get itself worked out because I've never ever seen Jerry Jones not give a superstar he drafted a new contract we're talking about his first new contract he's had to make big decisions and let stars go later but he is always 100% of the time always paid his stars and many times he overpaid I mean does anybody sit here and think that Dez Bryant contract worked out for the Cowboys I mean fans wanted that as well...

But we all know that since Jerry bought this team every single rookie got a new contract that was deserving of one you know the homegrown star what they're significant part of the team they have always got paid and they've gotten paid well and people are making a big deal out of this for nothing because there's no other stories but to bring up the Dallas Cowboys to get ratings and clicks and it's working...​

Flamma

Reaction score
We drafted Byron Jones, right? They let him walk after 5 years.

Flamma

Reaction score
Look who he was replaced with??? The guy got like 1-3 if that INT's his time with us, Diggs came in his first season and had a few already
LOL, yeah, we got lucky. If the draft was held again, he would be a top 10 pick, if not top 5. We got him at 44 I believe. And yes, we saw flashes in his rookie season.

blueblood70

Reaction score
We drafted Byron Jones, right? They let him walk after 5 years.
Dude he was not a bona fide star in this league and it proved out that way in Miami he was overpaid he left here because the star shined brighter and he got a deal with Miami but he was not worth a big second contract I didn't think so we're talking about bona fide superstars not guys who play well just because he was a solid player above average player at best he was not a star in my opinion.. We are not talking about players like Byron Jones or Randy Gregory these guys showed promise but they were not stars.. Show me a superstar on this team that showed as a rookie they were gonna be a franchise player and didn't get paid Byron Jones isn't one of them and somebody said that and brought their little list to Facebook with three names on it because we let them go but that's not what we're talking about we're talking about superstars here.. CD lamb falls under the superstar category and he will get paid...

hers that list of players im glad we didn't resign

Byron Jones types
Conner Wiliams
conner McGovern
Tyler Biadsz
Randy Gregory

this is a list of solid players we drafted but weren't NOT stars we aren't talking about players like them who are easily replaceable.

And the only one I can think of is DeMarco Murray that we did not resign but we did offer him a fair contract so that wasn't the front office fault we already knew at the time you're not supposed to be overpaying for running backs with that much mileage on them but he's the only bonafide superstar that we didn't keep but we did offer a very good contract he took the money and ran and probably shouldn't have he should have signed here I think his career would have been better hell we might not have ended up with Ezekiel Elliott who knows..

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
LOL, yeah, we got lucky. If the draft was held again, he would be a top 10 pick, if not top 5. We got him at 44 I believe. And yes, we saw flashes in his rookie season.
That's not luck that's just happens in the NFL players move around it's not an exact science when you're drafting players there's no redrafts we picked them where we picked him and they should get credit for picking him but everyone around here wants to call it luck because they don't want to see that this is a good drafting team most years last year not so much the 2009 allegedly what we call it the special teams draft there's been some less than stellar draft but for the most part the Cowboys draft really well... Byron Jones was not a superstar and he did not deserve a big contract that he got in Miami and that played out exactly how it played out the guys above average player he's solid but he wasn't a superstar he is not a top corner in this league he's one of those second tier guys why would the Cowboys pay top tier money for second tier guys they've already made that mistake before they did it with jalen Smith hopefully you don't keep doing that.... In my opinion jalen Smith and Byron Jones are very similar I know you're gonna say it's not true but in my opinion it is true but Jaylon couldn't overcome that nerve issue

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
When you have a FO who will not fire themselves, there is always next year. Explains his no sense of urgency comment. What’s another wasted year? 28 and counting.

rambo2

Reaction score
I guess that most of you missed the comments about making good progress in the negotiations with Lamb that went along with him saying the word no on the urgency to sign Lamb in the preseason. It kind of shows that he feels they will get it done and it isn't urgent for Lamb to be in camp for preseason.