Jerry Jones: No urgency to get contract done with Lamb

DandyDon52

Reaction score
If you treat your star players like trash, why would any of them want to resign when they become free agents?

Lamb has earned a new deal, his numbers are comparable to Justin Jefferson's and Lamb was one of the few Cowboys that actually did put up a decent stat line against the Pack, 9 receptions for 110 yards.

I'm just saying that if you play hard ball with your star players, dont expect to get any "discounts" when other players are next in line. This is why Dak aint gonna take a penny less than $60 and Parsons, wow, no telling what he is going to want. And you cant franchise everybody and hold them hostage, so being a penny pinching jerk to your star players is a really good way to run them out of town.
and what did lamb do in 1st half when the game was decided??
lamb had more targets than any other wr in nfl I think. his avg yds per target he ranked # 22.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
well I added the part about the mirrors lol, as he has to like looking at himself lol.
search micah's podcast with CeeDee lamb and watch it, decide for yourself.
I'm glad to hear that, that one kinda blew me outa the saddle. LOL

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
that is just your guess, but there is no way to know that. they might win more without him.
Odds are that all-pro player will help you win more games than not, dont think that is a huge leap of logic.

Otherwise, why the hell did the Vikes pay Jeffferson and why the hell did the Dolphins just pay Tyrek if they "might" win more games without them?

Apparently, the Vikes and Dolphins disagree with your assessment of the chances of winning with an all-pro WR and without an all-pro WR..........they don't seem to agree with your "might win more without them" philosophy.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
and what did lamb do in 1st half when the game was decided??
lamb had more targets than any other wr in nfl I think. his avg yds per target he ranked # 22.
Lamb had 135 receptions on 185 targets which was a 74.6% catch success rate, the highest of Cee Dee's career.

Furthermore 80 of the 135 receptions went for 1st downs, almost a 60% success rate moving the chains, which again was the highest of Cee Dee's career.

Add to that almost 1900 yards from scrimmage with 14 TDs and you see why he was named 1st-team AP all-pro and came in 3rd place in voting for Offensive Player of the Year.

The stats say he is arguably one of the best WRs in the NFL and he should be paid accordingly.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Odds are that all-pro player will help you win more games than not, dont think that is a huge leap of logic.

Otherwise, why the hell did the Vikes pay Jeffferson and why the hell did the Dolphins just pay Tyrek if they "might" win more games without them?

Apparently, the Vikes and Dolphins disagree with your assessment of the chances of winning with an all-pro WR and without an all-pro WR..........they don't seem to agree with your "might win more without them" philosophy.
we were talking about lamb, not other players.
Both of those guys are better than lamb.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Lamb had 135 receptions on 185 targets which was a 74.6% catch success rate, the highest of Cee Dee's career.

Furthermore 80 of the 135 receptions went for 1st downs, almost a 60% success rate moving the chains, which again was the highest of Cee Dee's career.

Add to that almost 1900 yards from scrimmage with 14 TDs and you see why he was named 1st-team AP all-pro and came in 3rd place in voting for Offensive Player of the Year.

The stats say he is arguably one of the best WRs in the NFL and he should be paid accordingly.
your looking at the standard stats. I was looking at his target stats, he ranked 22 and 24 in those.
I would have to look deeper to argue stats.
he has never been a impact player in the last 3 playoff games. That is odd for a player who u say is one of the best in nfl.

Creeper

Reaction score
It seems there was no urgency to do anything this off-season. We are going 6-11 folks, and it could be worse than that.

Flamma

Reaction score
If lamb doesn't get an extension, I think he's not going to play. That, along with our run game not looking too good, we're not going to win a lot of games. Yeah, obviously that's just my opinion. But I'm not going out on a limb. It's closer to captain obvious material.

blueblood70

Reaction score
If lamb doesn't get an extension, I think he's not going to play. That, along with our run game not looking too good, we're not going to win a lot of games. Yeah, obviously that's just my opinion. But I'm not going out on a limb. It's closer to captain obvious material.
No it's not there's no captain obvious thing here, the obvious thing is he's not going to continue to lose the money he's losing and then sit out the season...

he's going to lose because they can franchise tag him what's he going to gain by skipping $17 million? Exactly what does he think is going to gain?? by the way .,

he has to play some games ,I don't know what the new rule is, but the old rule was six games you have to play a certain percentage of games when you're available it cannot hold out the entire season and expect to accrue free agency, wrong there are rules that right now Jerry has all the leverage by using all available methods ie fines, loss of pay, loss of accrued time, and the TAG at the end of it...

You all keep saying that . it's obvious because he's holding out, no! it's obviously to most, hes holding out because he can right now ,because the very little leverage he had was to threaten a hold out, but once the reality sets in he will be here game one, new deal or not, I can almost guarantee it , it's obvious to me if somebody knows at the end of this train you could be franchise tagged and now you lost $17 million you will never get back it makes no sense...ZERO...

I do believe he's gonna get a new deal soon but I also believe if he doesn't he's still gonna show up and play for all the reasons I stated above because it only makes sense Prescott the only person on this team right now that has any real leverage because the Cowboys can't do anything about him becoming a free agent...

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You don't understand contracts. If Lamb signs a large extension, that first year cap hit will be low.

All you have to do is open up Google and do some research.

Justin Jefferson just signed a 4 year, $140MM extension. That's $35MM AAV. Guess what his cap hit is this year under the new contract? Just over $8.5MM. Guess what his cap hit is next year? $15.3MM.

So yeah, if Lamb is signed even to the same deal as Jefferson with it averaging $35MM a year, his first year cap hit will be below $25MM and likely by a lot.
I wish they would front load the deals, then as the contract goes on and the player might not be as good, THEN the lower numbers would be understanding!

Flamma

Reaction score
No it's not there's no captain obvious thing here, the obvious thing is he's not going to continue to lose the money he's losing and then sit out the season...

he's going to lose because they can franchise tag him what's he going to gain by skipping $17 million? Exactly what does he think is going to gain?? by the way .,

he has to play some games ,I don't know what the new rule is, but the old rule was six games you have to play a certain percentage of games when you're available it cannot hold out the entire season and expect to accrue free agency, wrong there are rules that right now Jerry has all the leverage by using all available methods ie fines, loss of pay, loss of accrued time, and the TAG at the end of it...

You all keep saying that . it's obvious because he's holding out, no! it's obviously to most, hes holding out because he can right now ,because the very little leverage he had was to threaten a hold out, but once the reality sets in he will be here game one, new deal or not, I can almost guarantee it , it's obvious to me if somebody knows at the end of this train you could be franchise tagged and now you lost $17 million you will never get back it makes no sense...ZERO...

I do believe he's gonna get a new deal soon but I also believe if he doesn't he's still gonna show up and play for all the reasons I stated above because it only makes sense Prescott the only person on this team right now that has any real leverage because the Cowboys can't do anything about him becoming a free agent...
Yeah, 6 games. But he doesn't have to play. You can be on IR and it still counts towards those 6 games. What good does it do the Cowboys if he shows up in week 12? He can't play. There is no point in a holdout if he was going to play. No holdout would ever work if the owners knew they were just holding out for training camp.

blueblood70

Reaction score
That is actually a good point............if you have no intentions of paying market value for your star players, then you absolutely should trade them for picks instead.
Paid accordingly and market value exactly what is that that's definitely not being the highest paid non quarterback in the league that would mean top five money at your position he was offered that I guarantee it that would be like $31 million you know tyreke hill just took a new deal he's only making $30 million a year guaranteed over three years 90 million so you have Justin Jefferson setting the new market at 35,000,000 doesn't mean that's the market because I remember deshaun Watson getting a ridiculous like $230 million guaranteed contract was that the new trend no it wasn't that another single player have got that sent to him what the average of the top five receivers right now are it's about $31 million and I know people are gonna dismiss this but when a guy like hill takes 30 and guy like DJ Moore takes 27.5 and right now I'm already Cooper makes 20 I mean you trying to tell me that you think that lamb is worth at/over 35? I mean without negotiations I mean Jerry just his hand him that because that's what the market is to you that is not the market I'm seeing some really great wide receivers make 30 million or under.. And like I said I believe Justin jefferson's like deshaun watsons is more of an anomaly and that is why it's hurt the market that is why jamar chase and Brandon aiuke are having problems but the other guys took less not more..

I'm betting the Cowboys would be happy to pay that because we don't know how both sides are negotiating where are these offers at we're not seeing this are you taking a side acting like they're not willing to pay market when they paid almost every single player ever to where the store on the side of their helmet that were considered superstars here the Jones family has always paid them..

So why should they be OK with paying 35 to 36 million when that's not truly what you call the market it is not being paid accordingly being paid accordingly would get money that some of your other peers are nearly as good as you got paid and that would be between 30 and 35 but you don't need to necessarily be at 35 to be fair that would mean you're trying to get your ego driven money I don't mind him asking but at some point you need to come off it I don't mind him holding out but I'm betting he would settle at $32 million and both sides would sign that deal today I don't know why I know this it's just a gut feeling but lamb and his agents are trying to get more than Justin Jefferson and that is not really what the true market is it raised the average but go look at the top five guys which I already did it did divide their annual AV by 5 and that would be $31 million... That's what ***** took you don't know Trayvon diggs didn't make this hard he didn't have to hold out he was number four he took #4 at cornerback he did not ask to be the highest paid non quarterback in the league and his deal got done quick and it was fair and even after a year he's only at 5 right now it didn't even hardly drop... Some call that a team friendly deal I don't the man just came off his demands it was being fair to where both sides can agree it's fair for both of them...

I'm sorry you want this to get really stick it to Jerry moment the whole I hope the Jones family get just absolutely gouged in these negotiations that's really not what we're discussing here that's what you all want... You all are picking sides and you shouldn't we don't know what's really going on we have an agent, a player, versus a ownership and then ownership who's paid every single star that's deserved it has gotten paid here homegrown stars get paid here free agents may not but all our homegrown stars have gotten paid and very good and some of them didn't even deserve it and many of them never lived up to it.....

So now you're blaming the ownership for not just handing him what he wanted no that's not how it works you have to negotiate right now they're stuck in negotiations I believe something will get done he's not even being mentioned in a trade that's because they don't believe it's gonna come to that neither side has demanded a trade or talk like that in public this is just posturing trying to get the very best deal...

blueblood70

Reaction score
This is the strangest damn off-season I've ever seen.
Yeah from a fan perspective yes but this is just business I don't really understand why it's a bother when 2024 we will have a full complement of a team come game one and beyond I believe they're all gonna play and this is all unnecessary but yet the media and the fans want to make this a thing they're taking sides and they wanna argue and in the end it's gonna be for nothing..

stiletto

Reaction score
Can you tell us what teams most of those stats came against? Any big numbers from winning/playoff caliber teams or non NFC-Least? I'm just curious.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Lamb is a Keenan Allen type rather than a Jefferson or Hill. There isn't a ton special about his game despite his numbers.

He'll be wanting to get paid like a top 3 WR though.

stiletto

Reaction score
Paid accordingly and market value exactly what is that that's definitely not being the highest paid non quarterback in the league that would mean top five money at your position he was offered that I guarantee it that would be like $31 million you know tyreke hill just took a new deal he's only making $30 million a year guaranteed over three years 90 million so you have Justin Jefferson setting the new market at 35,000,000 doesn't mean that's the market because I remember deshaun Watson getting a ridiculous like $230 million guaranteed contract was that the new trend no it wasn't that another single player have got that sent to him what the average of the top five receivers right now are it's about $31 million and I know people are gonna dismiss this but when a guy like hill takes 30 and guy like DJ Moore takes 27.5 and right now I'm already Cooper makes 20 I mean you trying to tell me that you think that lamb is worth at/over 35? I mean without negotiations I mean Jerry just his hand him that because that's what the market is to you that is not the market I'm seeing some really great wide receivers make 30 million or under.. And like I said I believe Justin jefferson's like deshaun watsons is more of an anomaly and that is why it's hurt the market that is why jamar chase and Brandon aiuke are having problems but the other guys took less not more..

I'm betting the Cowboys would be happy to pay that because we don't know how both sides are negotiating where are these offers at we're not seeing this are you taking a side acting like they're not willing to pay market when they paid almost every single player ever to where the store on the side of their helmet that were considered superstars here the Jones family has always paid them..

So why should they be OK with paying 35 to 36 million when that's not truly what you call the market it is not being paid accordingly being paid accordingly would get money that some of your other peers are nearly as good as you got paid and that would be between 30 and 35 but you don't need to necessarily be at 35 to be fair that would mean you're trying to get your ego driven money I don't mind him asking but at some point you need to come off it I don't mind him holding out but I'm betting he would settle at $32 million and both sides would sign that deal today I don't know why I know this it's just a gut feeling but lamb and his agents are trying to get more than Justin Jefferson and that is not really what the true market is it raised the average but go look at the top five guys which I already did it did divide their annual AV by 5 and that would be $31 million... That's what ***** took you don't know Trayvon diggs didn't make this hard he didn't have to hold out he was number four he took #4 at cornerback he did not ask to be the highest paid non quarterback in the league and his deal got done quick and it was fair and even after a year he's only at 5 right now it didn't even hardly drop... Some call that a team friendly deal I don't the man just came off his demands it was being fair to where both sides can agree it's fair for both of them...

I'm sorry you want this to get really stick it to Jerry moment the whole I hope the Jones family get just absolutely gouged in these negotiations that's really not what we're discussing here that's what you all want... You all are picking sides and you shouldn't we don't know what's really going on we have an agent, a player, versus a ownership and then ownership who's paid every single star that's deserved it has gotten paid here homegrown stars get paid here free agents may not but all our homegrown stars have gotten paid and very good and some of them didn't even deserve it and many of them never lived up to it.....

So now you're blaming the ownership for not just handing him what he wanted no that's not how it works you have to negotiate right now they're stuck in negotiations I believe something will get done he's not even being mentioned in a trade that's because they don't believe it's gonna come to that neither side has demanded a trade or talk like that in public this is just posturing trying to get the very best deal...
Good lord dude, I like most of your content but can't you be a little more succinct in your posts, so we don't go blind? This ain't War and Peace.

Curious, are you a ghostwriter or something as a profession? You can probably crank out novels with ease. lol!

fivetwos

Reaction score
I wish they would front load the deals, then as the contract goes on and the player might not be as good, THEN the lower numbers would be understanding!
I know what you mean and don’t disagree, but it’s all about the future value of money and the expected cap increase annually.

It’s just how it’s done. More important is the guaranteed money and the structure…like when they guarantee a salary in a given March for the season AFTER the upcoming one, while that one is already guaranteed. That makes the player uncuttable.

Looking at the numbers, my guess is they do that in order to prevent paying large signing bonuses, and keeping that capital for other use to earn interest. Remember Stephen picks quarters off the floor.