Recap: Jerry Jones on 105.3 The Fan - 09/06/16

Aven8

Reaction score
It was surprising. Then again, since Feb, everything they've done at DE has been surprising. About the only thing they did at DE that I really liked was draft Tapper. He was a pet cat of mine. Other than that? Just a bizarre approach to fixing an area the Jones' claimed was a big priority this offseason.

I mean I hope they know what they are doing. I would love to have to come here and start a thread and say I was totally wrong on the defensive ends as Irving and Mayowa start dominating from the outside and this team looks like a 40+ sack team.

But I just don't understand a strategy in fixing a big need that results into you starting your August camp with only ONE defensive end that has proven anything in the NFL.

My bet is they are counting on Dlaw and Gregory coming back. Wouldn't surprise me if they made a deal for rehab for only 4 games. Now until then I have NO idea why we only have 3 with Tappers injury!!

Sydla

Reaction score
My bet is they are counting on Dlaw and Gregory coming back. Wouldn't surprise me if they made a deal for rehab for only 4 games. Now until then I have NO idea why we only have 3 with Tappers injury!!

Even with those two back, why not bring in a vet or two as well? I mean counting on Gregory seems kind of foolish, doesn't it?

RS12

Reaction score
Jerry Jones says Brandon Weeden did not play as well as Dak Prescott has.

Stevie Wonder says hello.

Jerry Jones says Maliek Collins could really play at a high level in 2016. "He's a mature and capable [project]."

Um what?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On The Fan, Jerry Jones says coaches and teammates "are fully sold" on Dak Prescott.
On The Fan, Jerry Jones says Maliek Collins could really play at a high level in 2016. "He's a mature and capable [project]."
On The Fan, Jerry Jones says he also considers Kyle Wilber a secret weapon of sorts in 2016.
On The Fan, Jerry Jones says Benson Mayowa has the chance to surprise some people in 2016.
Yes
Yes
What the heck?
Yes

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
It was surprising. Then again, since Feb, everything they've done at DE has been surprising. About the only thing they did at DE that I really liked was draft Tapper. He was a pet cat of mine. Other than that? Just a bizarre approach to fixing an area the Jones' claimed was a big priority this offseason.

I mean I hope they know what they are doing. I would love to have to come here and start a thread and say I was totally wrong on the defensive ends as Irving and Mayowa start dominating from the outside and this team looks like a 40+ sack team.

But I just don't understand a strategy in fixing a big need that results into you starting your August camp with only ONE defensive end that has proven anything in the NFL.
Im with you buddy !
Will gladly come back on here and eat crow - but I just don't see it. We should trust the FO, they see the team a lot more than us and know what they are doing - ummmm, their track record over the last 20 years suggests not !
Wilber as a extra DE on rushing downs, does that give anyone - anyone a warm and fuzzy feeling. A 3-4 Lber who is now going to be an undersized rusher, and there was no better alternative then that !
I keep saying every year this defense is one good draft away from being legit - well, they still are.
DT are average right now, with a chance to be good as the season progresses (Meaning Collins will come on as he gets more playing time and his foot fully heals, Thornton, as he learns the position better), LBers - Lee and a couple young guys who may or may not come on. Backend looks better, But Stopping the run with DEs and LBers looks suspect at best.
Fingers and toes crossed, this year. Offense will kill it, defense smh...(And its not like they did not have options or opportunities this whole off-season !

Kaiser

Reaction score
I absolutely despise playing Wilbur at DE, I can't remember a single play he has made when forced into that position.

This is Jerry spinning as usual but people shouldn't overreact (I also command the tides to recede !!). The biggest issue facing the team is the DL in these first few games until DLaw is back and we have the rotation guys like Mayowa, Irving and Tapper completely healthy. Wilbur as the RDE backup is a stop gap measure for a game or two, Jerry is just trying to smooth over complaints about a temporary problem - albeit a big problem.

Aven8

Reaction score
Even with those two back, why not bring in a vet or two as well? I mean counting on Gregory seems kind of foolish, doesn't it?

Of course it does/is foolish! But look who are dealing with here.

The DE situation right now is pathetic. Irving is a better DT IMO then DE after seeing him there. Jack Crawford is a nice player, but doesn't scare anybody, and Mayowa hasn't done anything in this league!

slick325

Reaction score
Gregory was one of the two Cowboys I picked to have a big season and wanted to see most in TC. The other was Mo Claiborne. Felt they would both make big jumps. Disappointed with things going on with Gregory and think it is foolish to think he can give something in 12 games this season with no TC or preseason reps. Obviously that is assuming that he is only suspended for 4 games. Jerry is ever the optimist. It is who he is and has made him a successful man but at some point pragmatism is needed as well. The fans can see past the P.T. Barnum act of marketing the product and the hope...at least I think the fan base can see past it. LOL

dallasdave

Reaction score
Gregory was one of the two Cowboys I picked to have a big season and wanted to see most in TC. The other was Mo Claiborne. Felt they would both make big jumps. Disappointed with things going on with Gregory and think it is foolish to think he can give something in 12 games this season with no TC or preseason reps. Obviously that is assuming that he is only suspended for 4 games. Jerry is ever the optimist. It is who he is and has made him a successful man but at some point pragmatism is needed as well. The fans can see past the P.T. Barnum act of marketing the product and the hope...at least I think the fan base can see past it. LOL
The greatest show on earth !!!! :laugh:

DTown214

Reaction score
On The Fan, Jerry Jones says he also considers Kyle Wilber a secret weapon of sorts in 2016.

Well, won't hold my breath on that one.
Almost as bad as Jerry saying last year that Brandon Weeden throws the best football he's ever seen

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why is it that Booger & Son need to sell this defense as a "surprise" to the fans. Is it like they've established credibility with the fans over anything they say? Like they have somke insider knowledge?Ironically, the first time Booger hasn't tried to sell Popsicles and sunshine was the 2014 season. He said he didn't know what to expect.

Booger, do us a favor and shut your trap and stop verifying your inability to get thoughts from that 45 year old brain to that 73 year old mouth. It's better to tell us how smart you were than how smart you think you're going to be.