Recap: Jerry Jones on 105.3 The Fan - 09/06/16

slick325

Reaction score
To me it's far off enough from 2014 to say so...

Barry Church 26 SS 16 16

Rolando McClain 25 MLB 13 12

J.J. Wilcox 23 FS 16 16

Anthony Hitchens 22 LB/mlb 16 11

Bruce Carter 26 LB 13 8

Orlando Scandrick 27 cb/RCB 14 14

Brandon Carr 28 cb/LCB 16 16

Sterling Moore 24 cb/db 16 7

Justin Durant 29 lb 6 6

Jeremy Mincey 31 DE 16 16

Tyrone Crawford 25 de/DT 15 15

George Selvie 27 DE 16 13

Nick Hayden 28 DT 16 16

The first number after the position is the number of games played... And then you have the number of games started.

Not only did the Cowboys not have one of the best linebackers in the NFL not play a snap that season, they had the worst DT in the NFL starting.

And then you have the two defensive ends in Selvie and Mincey. Lawrence is already better than either one.

Wilcox as a starting safety? You've got trash defense right there.

The 2016 defense isn't a top-10 defense but it's several rungs better than this group.

Only the LB Corps is better in 2014 in my opinion Winicki. Other than that this D on paper is better. The DE's without DLaw and Gregory may be a push but Lawrence returns in 4 games. DT's in 2016 are a strength and much better than 2014. The secondary is better in 2016 as well.

The major difference is the number of turnovers the 2014 team generated. If this unit takes the ball away in a similar fashion this will be a decent defense. Not great. Not dominant. Not a sack machine. BUT still decent enough to win games with...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You said could. I am just wondering when he could become a double digit sack guy? This year? Two years from now? 5?

I'm taking a wait & attitude about it.

You know rather than whine about it in every single post on the Internet.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
That was their saving grace... The take-aways.

But talent wise... Not a good bunch.

It's what happens on the field, not paper, that matters. As stated, they were 15th in PPG & #2 in takeaways. We'll see if this group can compete with '14 despite any pre-game talent rankings.

slick325

Reaction score
It's what happens on the field, not paper, that matters. As stated, they were 15th in PPG & #2 in takeaways. We'll see if this group can compete with '14 despite any pre-game talent rankings.

We shall see Denim Chicken...we shall see. The games have to be played. Can't wait for the season to start!

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's hope you are right and that we just have a defense of diamonds in the rough.

If you think I expect "diamonds" at all 11 positions... yer nuts!

I've never posted that this was some kind of top-10 defense because it ain't.

It's just better IMO than it has been at least since 2012.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
All this talk of Gregory winning his appeal means you can bet he won't be.

Sydla

Reaction score
If you think I expect "diamonds" at all 11 positions... yer nuts!

I've never posted that this was some kind of top-10 defense because it ain't.

It's just better IMO than it has been at least since 2012.

Well, in fairness, you did say that this defense was "several rungs" better than the 2014 one. The 2014 one was 15th in the league in scoring defense. So, what does several rungs better mean? Top 12?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, in fairness, you did say that this defense was "several rungs" better than the 2014 one. The 2014 one was 15th in the league in scoring defense. So, what does several rungs better mean? Top 12?

Really?

It wouldn't matter if I posted 1st or 13th.

You take yourself far too seriously.

plymkr

Reaction score
WTH does that even mean?
If I'm Romo, I'm not sure how I feel about that comment. What is the mosquito a metaphor for and why did he use the word circumcise? You know what, lets just take Romo out of this for a second. I personally don't see a need to involve the word circumcise in a sports related interview for any reason.

IDK, if I'm wrong then I'm wrong. Jerry needs one of those shock collars that dogs have so when he says something completely off the wall, like relating Romo's status to circumcising a mosquito, then Stephen should push a button that shocks him. Maybe give him a treat after he comes back to reality.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If I'm Romo, I'm not sure how I feel about that comment. What is the mosquito a metaphor for and why did he use the word circumcise? You know what, lets just take Romo out of this for a second. I personally don't see a need to involve the word circumcise in a sports related interview for any reason.

IDK, if I'm wrong then I'm wrong. Jerry needs one of those shock collars that dogs have so when he says something completely off the wall, like relating Romo's status to circumcising a mosquito, then Stephen should push a button that shocks him. Maybe give him a treat after he comes back to reality.
Funny!!

Just another example why Jerry is a hindrance , obstacle and handicap to football operations ,