Jerry Jones on 105.3 The Fan: "IMO, Jason Garrett will be coaching in the NFL next year"

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
he'll be a good quality control coach somewhere, working in a back office with his buddy Keith O'Quinn.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Just heard this on my way into work, it was the last line of his weekly show on 105.3 The Fan

The question to him was essentially "what is the bar for Jason Garrett to be kept as coach after this season"

Jerry went on to say that there wasn't a bar for keeping or for firing and that they have to look at a bunch of different things, he's heard some of the names being touted but "do they guarantee a Super Bowl?" etc, (bunch of filler)

and then he dropped that line... guys on The Fan are thinking it's along the lines of "not with the Cowboys"

anyone else hear that?
I did. The National media is running with it. I think it’s safe to say Jerry will not be retaining Garrett’s services after the season.

We will be making a coaching splash. Linc is the big fish from of everything I’m hearing.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
JJ is SUCH an exasperated jackass. Back in the 90's thisDB spouts off to the media tards about firing Jimmy, never sat down to discuss anything, just shot his mouth off and Jimmy has to hear it from one of the reporters, yet now he wants to dance around and play footsie's over this *** clown HC he is so endeared to. Who BTW hasn't produced SQUAT in 10 years, much less 3 SB's in 3 AKA Jimmy Johnson. Just STHU JJ, no one cares, sign the checks and sit drunk up in your booth.

silvernblu

Reaction score
Jason Garrett will not be a head coach in the NFL next year. With the exception of possibly poorly run organizations in LA Raiders, Cincinnati, Washington, or Miami.

Good organizations will know fraud when they see it.

Players have loose lips. How many players from playoff caliber teams over the years (we must be close to double digits by now) have let it slip what they’re coaches figured out re: the simplistic schemes, snap counts, or run/pass tells the Cowboys run. There is no sophistication in our offense or defense.

There is no exploiting the opponents weaknesses built into game plans. In fact, we seem to plan the opposite. We encounter a devastated secondary? We focus on the run.

How many years did it take Garret to learn simple clock management? Why can’t we run an effective QB sneak? Why have we not had a special teams big play in years? Why are we last in the league in turnovers?

This is all the stuff that coaches do behind the scenes. Talking platitudes does not win games. The real nitty gritty does.

Proximo

Reaction score
That's fan-speak and frustration. Garrett took over a bad team and has a .556 winning percentage over 9 seasons. That's the 9th highest winning percentage among active coaches who have been in the job that long.

If you were a Giants fan and knew Garrett was going to be fired, he is exactly the type of coach you would be hoping they hire.

I’m also seeing folks make comments along the lines of “hope he goes to NYG, that’ll be two free wins for us each year!”.

We finished 5-1 in the division in both 2017 and 2018 and are 4-0 so far this year.

This is not a defense of JG but he has done very very well in divisional games lately.

Definitely not guaranteed wins for us if he’s on the other sideline.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I did. The National media is running with it. I think it’s safe to say Jerry will not be retaining Garrett’s services after the season.

We will be making a coaching splash. Linc is the big fish from of everything I’m hearing.
As long as he has some sharp teeth to run the team.

silvernblu

Reaction score
Im fine with booting Garrett, but I feel certain he will get hired by another team in the future.
Not sure about next season, but suspect it's likely.
I would wager on the other side of that.

Reaction score
That's fan-speak and frustration. Garrett took over a bad team and has a .556 winning percentage over 9 seasons. That's the 9th highest winning percentage among active coaches who have been in the job that long.

If you were a Giants fan and knew Garrett was going to be fired, he is exactly the type of coach you would be hoping they hire.
While this makes sense, the Giants fans I know want the Giants to stay away from Garrett as if he has Ebola.

They can't stand him and want him to stay in Dallas. :laugh:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Jerry may very well be right on Garrett coaching somewhere next year. In all likelihood it will not be as a head coach.

He might be a good quality control coach.

Whatever that is...

I'd say QB coach is most likely. I can't see some team wanting him as a coordinator, but as a position coach, you get a guy who at least has been a head coach in this league, has gotten his team to the playoffs and has won a couple of playoff games. In fact, from a head coaching standpoint, that's more than what some teams can say about the head coaches they've hired, which could be the reason he ends up getting another shot at that job.

Put it this way: If you have a team like the Cleveland Browns that hasn't had a winning season since 2006, Garrett's three first-place finishes in the East (which could be four if we win the East this year) in the last six years might look pretty enticing.

Reaction score
Someone go to the Giants board and show me ONE Giants fan that would want Red as coach.
I'm told Garrett is respected in league circles.

But any team who hires him would be hard pressed to sell this hire as HC to their fan base. Right or wrong, Garrett is a joke among fans league wide.

silvernblu

Reaction score
I'm told Garrett is respected in league circles.

But any team who hires him would be hard pressed to sell this hire as HC to their fan base. Right or wrong, Garrett is a joke among fans league wide.
And players

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Jerry has the inside scoop on NFL Europe starting in 2020.

silvernblu

Reaction score
I'd say QB coach is most likely. I can't see some team wanting him as a coordinator, but as a position coach, you get a guy who at least has been a head coach in this league, has gotten his team to the playoffs and has won a couple of playoff games. In fact, from a head coaching standpoint, that's more than what some teams can say about the head coaches they've hired, which could be the reason he ends up getting another shot at that job.

Put it this way: If you have a team like the Cleveland Browns that hasn't had a winning season since 2006, Garrett's three first-place finishes in the East (which could be four if we win the East this year) in the last six years might look pretty enticing.

You’re right. He will get them to 8-8.

punchnjudy

Reaction score
Nobody has the exclusive skills to get the job done so that collectively you can win a Super Bowl. But there are qualified people. Jason Garrett is one of them.

I think that's the key part of his quote. JG may no longer be his first choice but if that guy doesn't pan out for some reason, then he's still in the mix.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
You’re right. He will get them to 8-8.

Or 12-4 or 13-3. Garrett was coach of those teams, too. And if he has any appeal, that would be it.

I'm on record as wanting Garrett gone, because I don't think he's good enough to get us where we want this team to go. However, I'm not going to just disregard the fact that he's had some success (for whatever reasons) getting teams to the playoffs while there are other coaches who haven't.

The Browns are one of those that would have loved to have even his 8-8 seasons (which he hasn't had since three from 2011-2013). The Giants have only finished first in the division one time since Garrett became the Cowboys coach while he's had those three first-place finishes. If the Cowboys finish with a winning season this year, that will be five out of the last six.

I know we're down on Garrett (and rightly so) but I see no reason to consider him less than what his record shows that he is.