Jerry Jones on 105.3 The Fan: "IMO, Jason Garrett will be coaching in the NFL next year"

Creeper

Reaction score
Garrett has one losing season in 9 years and that was 2015 because Romo got hurt and guys like Weeden tanked.

If you are getting fired because of a 6-6 record, its not because you weren't winning.

The Maras want to win Super Bowls. That leaves Garrett out.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Probably a lot of opportunity for Garrett to find a job, as I imagine at least 6 to 7 coaches will get canned in the next few months as the season concludes, Rivera's just the beginning.

smitty313

Reaction score
but Rams fans knew that was a stupid hire and supposedly inundated the FO with angry phone calls. So the Rams FO has to play it off and go hire Spagnola, even though they had Garrett in for a second interview and rumors were it was a done deal.

Yep, heard the same from a friend of mine that lived there then

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Just heard this on my way into work, it was the last line of his weekly show on 105.3 The Fan

The question to him was essentially "what is the bar for Jason Garrett to be kept as coach after this season"

Jerry went on to say that there wasn't a bar for keeping or for firing and that they have to look at a bunch of different things, he's heard some of the names being touted but "do they guarantee a Super Bowl?" etc, (bunch of filler)

and then he dropped that line... guys on The Fan are thinking it's along the lines of "not with the Cowboys"

anyone else hear that?

I didn't hear the show, but as quoted, when the boss says "you'll be working somewhere", it's time to make your resume current.

yimyammer

Reaction score
The fact is, Jason used opportunities to get Jerry to increase his salary, despite his incompetence.
This is when the Ravens “settled” for John Harbaugh.

https://footballscoop.com/news/wade-phillips-has-bones-to-pick-jerry-jones-jason-garrett/

The he stunk it up dropping to bottom half of the league in red-zone scoring without Sparano. Jason was about himself always and Jerry is an idiot. He should have taken the Rams job that was 2-14 the next year, but Rams fans knew that was a stupid hire and supposedly inundated the FO with angry phone calls. So the Rams FO has to play it off and go hire Spagnola, even though they had Garrett in for a second interview and rumors were it was a done deal.

thx for the link, funny excerpt from the article:

The excerpt begins with Phillips praising Jones’ vision of an owner, saying of Jerry the same thing everyone says of Jerry: Jerry wants to win. And it’s true Jerry wants to win — he’s just exclusively interested in winning his way. He wants to win, but not to the level of hiring a GM and keeping his hands off the football matters. He wants to win, but not to the level of telling his coaches and football people which players to acquire. He wants to win, but not to the level of undermining his head coach’s authority by hiring his offensive coordinator before him and, as illustrated above, paying his offensive coordinator more than the head man.

CowboysLegends2

Reaction score
I have only read the first two pages of this thread but I would be surprised if Jerry didn’t say this. Garrett has not only lacked success as a HC but as an offensive coordinator as well. If Garrett is not hired by another team it is a double blow to Jerry. First one is admitting he was wrong about Garrett for over a decade. The second is being humbled by the fact that 31 other NFL teams have no interest in who he as a “football guy” and GM evaluated as a championship coach.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Garrett has one losing season in 9 years and that was 2015 because Romo got hurt and guys like Weeden tanked.

If you are getting fired because of a 6-6 record, its not because you weren't winning.
that one particular season you are referring too is why JG is a terrible coach, cause he and his staff couldn't win a game without Romo to save their life.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
If JG isn't coaching here next year, I will go on record, that he won't be coaching anywhere..... period end of story.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It sounds to me like this was yet another bungled attempt by Jerry to make things look better while actually making things look worse.

He tried to build up his soon to be ex-coach but only succeeded in telling everyone that he's done as the head coach in Dallas.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Just heard this on my way into work, it was the last line of his weekly show on 105.3 The Fan

The question to him was essentially "what is the bar for Jason Garrett to be kept as coach after this season"

Jerry went on to say that there wasn't a bar for keeping or for firing and that they have to look at a bunch of different things, he's heard some of the names being touted but "do they guarantee a Super Bowl?" etc, (bunch of filler)

and then he dropped that line... guys on The Fan are thinking it's along the lines of "not with the Cowboys"

anyone else hear that?
that's jerry speak to walk a fine line with the fans as he always does...he wants to justify his decision to keep garrett for the rest of the season, at the same time not committing to garrett for next year knowing he will replace him, so he has to make him look good, but not too good....basically trying to live on both sides of the fence.