Twitter: Jerry Jones on Randy Gregory Suspension

John813

Reaction score
Funny and sad at the same time.

At some point you would think this thought would come to someones mind:

"Teams that have been consistently better than us are passing on this guy. Why?"

Teams passed on Mathieu. Dude got kicked off LSU for his senior year. For violations of team rules and substance abuse.
Justin Houston dropped to the third, due to weed(tested positive at the combine). Turned out to be a good pick. lol

Not defending Jerry or the pick, but some players get their **** together after losing money in the draft due to their drug/issues in college.
Some don't.
Looks like we got the guy with a mental illness that makes him default to weed.
Maybe could of done some better research on the guy, or if that was disclosed prior to being drafted. Don't recall.

GIFTS86

Reaction score
What round would of you picked gregory? Or would you of completely passed? And of course not knowing what you know now.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Someone a while ago had a list of our second round picks and you had to go all the way back to Lee I think it was to find one that sort of worked out. It sounds like Lawrence could be a good one but he's not really just a second round pick. I wonder what the league average is for teams finding starters in the second round.
Lee was "iffy" as well with the injury bug prior to the pros.................

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Someone a while ago had a list of our second round picks and you had to go all the way back to Lee I think it was to find one that sort of worked out. It sounds like Lawrence could be a good one but he's not really just a second round pick. I wonder what the league average is for teams finding starters in the second round.

It has to be better than ours.

Here's a list going back to 1995.

http://www.fftoday.com/nfl/drafttracker.php?o=by_team&TeamID=9014

The horror!
:facepalm:

davey999

Reaction score
Teams passed on Mathieu. Dude got kicked off LSU for his senior year. For violations of team rules and substance abuse.
Justin Houston dropped to the third, due to weed(tested positive at the combine). Turned out to be a good pick. lol

Not defending Jerry or the pick, but some players get their **** together after losing money in the draft due to their drug/issues in college.
Some don't.
Maybe could of done some better research on the guy, or if that was disclosed prior to being drafted. Don't recall.

Teams that have holes everywhere cannot afford to take chances. Same with the Jaylon Smith pick.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Jerry. If everyone else passes, try to figure it out.
I for one actually like when Jerry takes chances a late second round pick for top 5-10 talent in a ****** draft really isn't all that bad. There is also a reason why Jerry owns the Cowboys.
Now the jaylon smith and miles jack thing is a whole other story.

John813

Reaction score
Teams that have holes everywhere cannot afford to take chances. Same with the Jaylon Smith pick.

Depends on the risk for me. The Smith pick I agree about. Like the player and person, but that type of injury scares the hell out of me(football wise).
The Gregory pick was a risk, but I wonder if the Cowboys knew pre selection why RG went to weed for his issues. All they could of known was that he did in recreationally, and got busted at the draft. We needed pass rushers, and he was one of the best pass rusher in the draft.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You got some players the team takes a chance on and they don't turn out so the fans complain (and with gregory rightfully so).

However

You also have players in the draft that fall , that we pass on due to issues and a bunch of people complain that we should have taken them ala Honeybadger or Marcus Peters.

It's a gamble.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Funny and sad at the same time.

At some point you would think this thought would come to someones mind:

"Teams that have been consistently better than us are passing on this guy. Why?"

Because we heard rumors that the Patriots are going to take him with their next pick. :rolleyes:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
What could possibly be next?

"Jerry selects Ralph Jackson in the second round. He's been in a coma for 3 months but Jerry thinks he will be outstanding if he ever comes out of it."

:lmao:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Does this mean our pass rush is not going to get the help it needs this year?

And does this mean we'll finally address the DL in 1st round next year ?

superonyx

Reaction score
You got some players the team takes a chance on and they don't turn out so the fans complain (and with gregory rightfully so).

However

You also have players in the draft that fall , that we pass on due to issues and a bunch of people complain that we should have taken them ala Honeybadger or Marcus Peters.

It's a gamble.
Or Dak Prescott and his DUI.

No one wants to give Jerry credit for this one though.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score

Some don't.
The culture in Dallas. With all of his problems and baggage....we anointed him with #94 before ever breaking a sweat? Like we did Antonio Bryant with #88. This culture is not conducive to WINNING FOOTBALL. Win or lose....we are entertaining...and we make money....and that is priority #1.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The culture in Dallas. With all of his problems and baggage....we anointed him with #94 before ever breaking a sweat? Like we did Antonio Bryant with #88. This culture is not conducive to WINNING FOOTBALL. Win or lose....we are entertaining...and we make money....and that is priority #1.

Just like Bill Parcells touched on in an interview a week or so ago. He stated he learned a lot about the marketing side of football from Jerry. BP gave an example that he didn't want to have training camp in Oxnard, but Jerry explained to him how important that fan base etc was. Which basically says to me Jerry cares as much about building a fan base and brand as he does anything else. We have seen it time and time again with some of the decisions being made.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
His plan to completely waste Romo's career is finally coming to fruition.

That dude has broken his back, literally, for you, jed.

He broke his back on that Cabo trip in 2007 with Jessica Simpson. Jethro didn't buy that ticket for him. Romo wasted plenty of opportunities by his own doing.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
First the first time in a while Jerry made sense with regards to wasting a second round pick on Gregory and his stark comment indicates to me Gregory probably won't play another game in a Cowboy uniform...