Jerry Jones on the defense

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
"You end up getting the same thing in the 3-4 that you get in the 4-3 at times," Jones said. "I can give you a good case why some of our personnel is better suited for the 4-3 right now."

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
That's an interesting observation. Wade Phillips' hopes grow slimmer it seems.

Alexander

Reaction score
Hostile;1356716 said:
That's an interesting observation. Wade Phillips' hopes grow slimmer it seems.

It was fairly clear that Phillips didn't have a chance when he was calling Ed Werder for updates.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander;1356723 said:
It was fairly clear that Phillips didn't have a chance when he was calling Ed Werder for updates.
A valid point.

Alexander

Reaction score
Hostile;1356726 said:
A valid point.

When everything is said and done, we will probably be shocked how much of this whole interview process was a horse and pony show and how Turner was probably the main candidate from the minute Jones got Coach Parcells' resignation.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander;1356734 said:
When everything is said and done, we will probably be shocked how much of this whole interview process was a horse and pony show and how Turner was probably the main candidate from the minute Jones got Coach Parcells' resignation.
I wonder if Ron Rivera understands that he'll really be interviewing for the defensive coordinator position only.

Alexander

Reaction score
DallasEast;1356738 said:
I wonder if Ron Rivera understands that he'll really be interviewing for the defensive coordinator position only.

That has been speculated that this is Jones' loophole. To me, it makes sense if he is worried about timing as supposedly Rivera cannot be hired for a lateral move until after February 20.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DallasEast;1356738 said:
At this point, this is his last chance for a HC spot for at least a year. I would hope he would have prepared something that could possibly knock an owner's socks off if he had been given the chance to interview earlier.

And just a side thought, I would never dare to presume what Jerruh and Stephen are thinking. This whole coaching process has had alot of twists and turns...and everytime you think you got a handle on what he's considering, he changes it up.

Alexander

Reaction score
SuperCows5Xs;1356743 said:
I bet Jerry and John Kerry are good buddies.:D

I don't think Jerry Jones has flip flopped at all.

He is playing the media very well, however.

Alexander

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1356742 said:
And just a side thought, I would never dare to presume what Jerruh and Stephen are thinking. This whole coaching process has had alot of twists and turns...and everytime you think you got a handle on what he's considering, he changes it up.

And how much is smoke and how much is his true thought process?

In a way, I would feel worse if he has twisted with the breeze nearly as much as it has appeared. Right or wrong, I would like to believe he knows what he has wanted to do all along, as he has stated.

I do know that there have been many things attributed to him that simply aren't true, at least from his own words. And on the other hand, he has made comments before about being married to the 3-4. He certainly likes to entertain, I will give him that.

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
Alexander;1356707 said:
"You end up getting the same thing in the 3-4 that you get in the 4-3 at times," Jones said. "I can give you a good case why some of our personnel is better suited for the 4-3 right now."

thus begins the rebirth of the 1996-2002 Dallas Cowboys.....

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
Alexander;1356746 said:
I don't think Jerry Jones has flip flopped at all.

He is playing the media very well, however.

I fail to see a master plan to get the media to buy into why he touted the 3-4 after Pricillas left and now he is touting the 4-3, don't make much sense to me. But this might indicate that he won't be shoving a specific style of D down Riveras pie hole, and showing some open mindedness to what the coaches want to do and not just what he wants. If what I just stated is true then I applaud Jerry.

Royal Laegotti

Reaction score
CowboyJeff;1356748 said:
thus begins the rebirth of the 1996-2002 Dallas Cowboys.....

Maybe not my friend if we can get Rivera as D cord. I think this guy will be just the tonic our defense needs, not a prediction though, just a feeling I get.:)

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Alexander;1356734 said:

:hammer:

And that's what makes me sick. It SEEMS JJ never had any intentions of hiring anyone but Norv.

I hope I'm wrong about that. And if/when Norv gets the job, I hope I'm wrong about Norv. Doubt it though.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
ld
DallasEast;1356738 said:
I would think that for Norv to bring up his DC candidates to Jerry that he probably had discussed this with said person in the past. Especially when Rivera was doing the same when he was up for hc for Green Bay. They definitely have a mutual respect for each other.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
jerry had alot of interesting things to say tonight on the cowboys year in review show.

basically in a nutshell sounded like he is going to be taking more control, talked about how dissapointed he was in the free agents they acquired and then how dissapointed he was in the draft, pertaining to who was drafted and how limited their playing time was.

From what I got out of listening to him, I took it this way, Jerry is going to be running the war room again, he is going to go grab spotlight guys in FA and jeff ireland and tom ciskowski should be very worried about their job.

i am very scared. I was getting comfortable with the idea of norv as hc and rivera as dc with garret and sporano running the show.

Now I am terrified, jerry is going to rule the roost again. Terrified actually.

also, I saw a shot of jerry stepping into the middle of the players after parcells gave the postgame speech in the locker room after beating indy and jerry was leading the cheer....that is odd, very odd.

Anyway, i hope jerry doesnt fall in love with the hood ornaments again and forget about the engine. I dont think I could ever take a joey galloway trade again.

Royal Laegotti

Reaction score
theebs;1356790 said:
jerry had alot of interesting things to say tonight on the cowboys year in review show.

basically in a nutshell sounded like he is going to be taking more control, talked about how dissapointed he was in the free agents they acquired and then how dissapointed he was in the draft, pertaining to who was drafted and how limited their playing time was.

From what I got out of listening to him, I took it this way, Jerry is going to be running the war room again, he is going to go grab spotlight guys in FA and jeff ireland and tom ciskowski should be very worried about their job.

i am very scared. I was getting comfortable with the idea of norv as hc and rivera as dc with garret and sporano running the show.

also, I saw a shot of jerry stepping into the middle of the players after parcells gave the postgame speech in the locker room after beating indy and jerry was leading the cheer....that is odd, very odd.

Anyway, i hope jerry doesnt fall in love with the hood ornaments again and forget about the engine. I dont think I could ever take a joey galloway trade again.

Well if this is the case it won't matter who the HC is, we're in for some hard times, when will Jerry learn?

Alexander

Reaction score
theebs;1356790 said:

Thank you for thoroughly depressing me.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1356742 said:
At this point, this is his last chance for a HC spot for at least a year. I would hope he would have prepared something that could possibly knock an owner's socks off if he had been given the chance to interview earlier.

When the guy who has interview more than any other candidate is practically sitting right next to Jerry for an unrelated HOF announcement during the weekend, that's a good sign he's the next coach.

I almost felt like that was a purposeful sales job on Jerry's part for the fans. Remember that great 90's team? Well here is the guy who controlled the offense.

That's great, I just want that same offensive line, HOF QB, RB and WR to go with him.